The Student Room Group

Do you look down on 30+ year olds who work in retail?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Playmaker#10
I know 21 year olds who earn £50,000 a year so why shouldn't they earn above that when they're 30

What jobs do they do?
Original post by mulberry1
I know someone who's a retail manager. Apparently THE biggest fear amongst them is that the employees will leave as that looks really bad on their turnover rates. So 40+ year olds are attractive to them as they'll less likely to jump ship than college leavers.

Ahhhh so now they don't like young seasonal workers? :\ I seeeeee. Still ****ed up considering that's who was once preferred I thought, but I was starting to wonder why loads of OAPs are still sliding tins/working at checkout lol
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I spit on them and tell them they are unworthy of me and my people. We are a better more advanced human being, we the educated cultured tolerant peoples

I went into waitrose yester evening and there was a lady early thirties. I could tell by her skin and hair she had made contemptible life choices only an uncouth mouthbreather would make. I sent her on a fools errand and videoed her, laughing with my mates ready to upload to snapchat and twitter to my awaiting bourgoise.

I beligerantly told her she was useless and she looked close to tears! ha!

:erm:
As somebody working in retail myself (I've decided i'm probably going to stay and push for management) i'd probably say that if you've working there for yonks and have not been promoted then there's legitimate concern as to your intelligence, ambition or ability. That said i of course don't have any criticism of those who work in retail generally and think far too many look down on what can turn out to be a lucrative option at some firms.
Original post by Shawman
There is far too much elitism on TSR nowadays. The idea of 'looking down' on someone for whatever job they do is just pitiful. At least there's still many people on here who don't judge their self worth based upon the successfulness of others.*

You think it's new. :tongue:
One thing is this life is so unpredictable. I know people who are graduates from universities and still find themselves in jobs like this (shelf stacking). It is what this economy has turned into and no one is to be blamed.
You can't look down on people because they work in retail. Some of them are definitely more educated and more intelligent than you occupying a better paid role.
This life is unfair and we shouldn't be the judge.
Life is in phases and men are in sizes..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really look down on them, they are human just like me.

It could be their personal circumstances or anything else.
Original post by Playmaker#10
I know 21 year olds who earn £50,000 a year so why shouldn't they earn above that when they're 30

Whats their job? What 21 year old makes £50k?
They probably dont live in single income households.
I worked in retail sales (at phones stores) for a total of about 3 years (from when I was 16), I have nothing but the utmost respect for people who are able to put up with the constant stream of bullcrap from customers. Countless times were my manager or one of the older guys has stepped in to be a shield for me when a customer decides to go on some holier than thou tirade about why a specific phone wasn't in stock or why they can't figure out how to read a bloody price.

Not only that, but people who rise up in retail have solid earning potential. My old manager who was ~31 (he has a degree, which made him progress faster than usual) at one of the large telecom companies got hired to our store at £50k a year, with potential to make 50% to 80% more if they hit target. The area managers were on £60-70k with the same potential (or even more). As a teenager, my annualised take home after commission was £23-26k a year. So as you can see, there is solid potential to earn a lot if you perform - much more than most non-grad careers out there.

Anyone who genuinely does look down on people in retail needs to get their egos checked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by helpmekid
Whats their job? What 21 year old makes £50k?

Entry level Investment bankers, tech people at top companies, strategy consultants etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't look down on them but I do feel sorry for them.

Also worried because it may well be where I end up...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I feel sorry for them.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just think "wage slave"
Original post by Blue_Mason
Stacking tinned items is not an honest days work.

ermm yes it is. *
Original post by AsapRocky
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all. I'm too busy minding my own business, generally.
Reply 96
No i dont. They are working hard and contributing to the economy and providing a valuable service to our country. Their age is really irrelevant.

I do however look down upon lazy brits sitting on their arses claiming benefits when they are perfectly able to do a job. They even have the cheek to blame eastern europeans for stealing their non existent jobs
Reply 97
People looking down on staff in retail .... or indeed other supposedly 'lowly' occupations?

I reckon it says much more about the people that do that than those employees.

I'd rather someone had a (any) work ethic than sit on their phatarse sponging. If that means working in retail all power to their elbow and credit to them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 98
I think its just such an asian thing tbh. and i am asian so i can say that.
Reply 99
Some of the attitudes on here are vile. I have worked in many supermarkets whilst in education and have come across many reasons why older people are still working in retail.
-Flexible hours
-Not very stressful
-To keep busy after retiring for a busy career
-Spent their time travelling and missed out on building up a career.

You may think these people are 'stupid' and 'uneducated' but I know who I'd rather spend time with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending