The Student Room Group

Difference between 6 year and 5 year medicine course

Hello, I am wondering. What is the difference between the 6 and 5 hear university medicine courses? And is it somewhat easier to get into the 6 year course and will the 6 year course make your job application worse than the 5 year course for employers?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hello, i wanted to know. What is the difference between the 6 and 5 year medicine courses. Is it easier to get into the 6 year course or 5 year course? And will doing the 6 year course hold back your job applications rather than doing the 5 year course.
There are 2 different types of 6 year medicine courses - one is the one with a foundation year for those who don't have A-Levels in science subjects and the other is the one with a compulsory intercalating year.

No matter what, you still come out with a medical degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh okay. If I take the 6 year course where I have science subjects in A-Levels. Would I still have the same opportunities than 5 year medicine students and is it somewhat easier to get in to ?
Original post by afghan-superman
Oh okay. If I take the 6 year course where I have science subjects in A-Levels. Would I still have the same opportunities than 5 year medicine students and is it somewhat easier to get in to ?

Do you mean the 6 year course for people who don't have science A-Levels? If so, you won't be eligible for it and it's actually harder to get into because there's far fewer places but still lots of competition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you have the same opportunities, however it's not exactly easier to get into as hundreds of people apply for just 10-15 places which makes it more competitive
However the entry requirements are easier and it's worth a shot, but you need to meet their criteria to be eligible to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean for the 6 year course where people need science subjects. Is it easier for me ?
I mean for the 6 year course where people need science subjects. Is it easier for me ?

No...medicine is hard, no matter what.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not easier it's probably more competitive
Check out the competition ratios

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hello, i wanted to know. What is the difference between the 6 and 5 year medicine courses. Is it easier to get into the 6 year course or 5 year course? And will doing the 6 year course hold back your job applications rather than doing the 5 year course.

There are only and I honestly mean only 2 differences:

1. One is 5 year, one is 6 year

2. The 5 year requires higher grades than 6 year.

Both require interviews (of same difficulty) and you have to be eligible for the 6 year course, to be considered. Many people who were predicted AAA applied for 6 year and were rejected before interview.
Reply 10
6 year courses normally have lower entry requirements eg BBC but they expect that you fulfil some criteria like being the first generation in your family to go to uni or be on free school meals ect. Most unis say that if you can apply to the 5 year do as they wont normally accept you for the 6 year. Alternatively you could be talking about a 5 year course with an intercalated Bsc?
How has it been 16 hours and no one has corrected the *******s above? What is happening to the medicine forum.
If we are talking about 6 year courses with an intercalated BSc years i.e. you graduate with a BSc after 3 years and then go onto clinical school, they tend to be at schools without a 5 year option. These courses are likely better since you do get bonus points on your Foundation application for having an intercalated BSc, something you usually still have the option of doing in a 5 year program.

If we are talking about a 6 year course with a foundation year, I have heard that it is easier than a 5 year course, typically the foundation year is for international students who have gone through a different curriculum and the first year catches them up on anything they might have missed.
Hello, I am wondering. What is the difference between the 6 and 5 hear university medicine courses? And is it somewhat easier to get into the 6 year course and will the 6 year course make your job application worse than the 5 year course for employers?
Thanks

Hello!

I want to clear up some misconceptions created by this thread and hopefully answer your questions too.

5 year programme: Traditional entry medical school programme which normally requires AAA/A*AA. Even though somebody may enter this programme intending to study for 5yrs, they may end up studying for 6 due to resitting a year or intercalating during their degree.

6 year programme: Usually a widening access to medical school programme where students may study for an extra year before joining the traditional programme (Southampton) or study for several years at a slower pace (Kings). Entry requirements are either lower in the sciences (BBC at Southampton) or the same as traditional entry but will accept non science A levels (Manchester). This can become seven years due to the again intercalating or resitting.

Doing a foundation year programme will not be looked down upon by employers. Your degree MBBS/ BMBS will remain the same as those taking a traditional course. I believe they cannot see if you've done a foundation year or not.

Kind Regards,

Mel
Original post by Okorange
If we are talking about 6 year courses with an intercalated BSc years i.e. you graduate with a BSc after 3 years and then go onto clinical school, they tend to be at schools without a 5 year option. These courses are likely better since you do get bonus points on your Foundation application for having an intercalated BSc, something you usually still have the option of doing in a 5 year program.

If we are talking about a 6 year course with a foundation year, I have heard that it is easier than a 5 year course, typically the foundation year is for international students who have gone through a different curriculum and the first year catches them up on anything they might have missed.

This is not true. Most foundation years are predominate home and EU students. The first semester of any medical course, traditional or widening access, is to put everyone on a level playing field.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
How has it been 16 hours and no one has corrected the *******s above? What is happening to the medicine forum.

Hopefully I've helped a bit! I was shocked myself.
Original post by popo111
There are only and I honestly mean only 2 differences:

1. One is 5 year, one is 6 year

2. The 5 year requires higher grades than 6 year.

Both require interviews (of same difficulty) and you have to be eligible for the 6 year course, to be considered. Many people who were predicted AAA applied for 6 year and were rejected before interview.

This is not necessarily true. At Southampton, for example, the BM6 course will not differentiate between someone with 3As prediction and BBC as long as they have met the minimum entry requirements. I cannot talk for other universities by the way.
Original post by WAMSocSOTON

This is not necessarily true. At Southampton, for example, the BM6 course will not differentiate between someone with 3As prediction and BBC as long as they have met the minimum entry requirements. I cannot talk for other universities by the way.

I never said it was always true, rather just sharing a fact.

The fact is people who are predicted 3A are often questioned, and quite rightfully in my opinion, many inevitably are rejected.
Original post by popo111
I never said it was always true, rather just sharing a fact.

The fact is people who are predicted 3A are often questioned, and quite rightfully in my opinion, many inevitably are rejected.

It's not a fact. Medical admissions are very explicit about predictions. So, if a student will be ultimately rejected because of too high predictions, the university will say that explicitly. Nottingham, for example, have this policy for their foundation year. Other universities, such as Southampton, will not place any value on the prediction beyond meeting the minimum entry requirements.

Many students with 3As may be rejected for several reasons:

1. Their justification for applying may be weak. Foundation years are not only there to make you catch up academically. Rather, they can build a multitude of skills such as presentation skills, confidence, placement exposure and revision skills that the student may not have had beforehand. At interview, if a student uses these reasons, (for example) and has a 3As prediction, they will not be rejected just because their predicated grades are too high.

2. The rest of the interview may not have been up to the standard required. Just because someone has 3As doesn't mean they will become a good doctor. Someone with ABB may have work experience, meet NHS values and have a wealth experience. So, which one should the medical school pick?

3. They were questioned, flustered and the rest of the interview fell to pieces. If a student cannot talk with conviction they may feel like their interview is going down the pan rather than being able to justify their decision.

I could go on and on. So, please don't spread around a misconception people already have.
Original post by WAMSocSOTON
It's not a fact. Medical admissions are very explicit about predictions. So, if a student will be ultimately rejected because of too high predictions, the university will say that explicitly. Nottingham, for example, have this policy for their foundation year. Other universities, such as Southampton, will not place any value on the prediction beyond meeting the minimum entry requirements.

Many students with 3As may be rejected for several reasons:

1. Their justification for applying may be weak. Foundation years are not only there to make you catch up academically. Rather, they can build a multitude of skills such as presentation skills, confidence, placement exposure and revision skills that the student may not have had beforehand. At interview, if a student uses these reasons, (for example) and has a 3As prediction, they will not be rejected just because their predicated grades are too high.

2. The rest of the interview may not have been up to the standard required. Just because someone has 3As doesn't mean they will become a good doctor. Someone with ABB may have work experience, meet NHS values and have a wealth experience. So, which one should the medical school pick?

3. They were questioned, flustered and the rest of the interview fell to pieces. If a student cannot talk with conviction they may feel like their interview is going down the pan rather than being able to justify their decision.

I could go on and on. So, please don't spread around a misconception people already have.

It is a fact, that people with 3A prediction have being rejected due to not justifying why they should be on the foundation year, when they could/should be on the 5 year course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending