The Student Room Group

Staying in university forever VS graduating once and getting a career

Student Loan to pay for first degree

Save up £40k over 3 years by working, which pays for the next degree upon graduation of the first degree (including student accom costs).

Eat, sleep, study, repeat.

I hazard a guess that you would need a DISPOSAL INCOME of at least £10k per year after tax to have a better lifestyle than a student who chooses to remain in permanent education.

So unless you are a real HIGH ROLLER (ie. over £50k per annum, which is not possible for all graduates) then why bother with the career route?

Why not just stay at uni for personal enlightenment and educate yourself rather than join the rat race?
I think you're underestimating the difficulty of studying a degree, as well as being able to be interested enough in multiple fields to study. And good luck having any savings!
How are you going to save 40k in 3 years? You'd need a decent graduate job
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Save up £40k over 3 years by working, which pays for the next degree upon graduation of the first degree (including student accom costs).

I hazard a guess that you would need a DISPOSAL INCOME of at least £10k per year after tax to have a better lifestyle than a student who chooses to remain in permanent education.

So unless you are a real HIGH ROLLER (ie. over £50k per annum, which is not possible for all graduates) then why bother with the career route?

Why not just stay at uni for personal enlightenment and educate yourself rather than join the rat race?

I would rather work and actually have some form of productivity/real world results than to just sit and read textbooks all day

Posted from TSR Mobile

You arent really staying in Uni forever though as you seem to be spending half and half.

You also underestimate the difficulty of saving, which will depend on the dispoabale income you cna muster depending on what job you get. You arent going to be saving £15-20k net on a starting graduate salary. You would need something like a £50 salary.

meanwhile you get a few bits of paper and your friends get a career , buy a home and have a family....

I know the prospect of getting an actual job terrifies the idealistic generation, but pursuing a life in academia is not a case of economics. If you were able to raise £40,000 in the space of three years, which is obviously not going to happen if you're working part-time alongside your degree, you also need to getting top grades in your undergraduate studies to be eligible for postgraduate study, which will be made a lot harder if you're working outside of school concurrently. A life in academia is reserved for the country's most academic students, notably those who have done research work for governmental institutions prior to receiving a scholarship or fellowship with a university. Many people have entertained the idea of living in the safe bubble of academia, however many, especially those with terrible degrees, are often surprised when the best opportunities presented to them are an interview at Burger King. Unless you're an A* student, don't fall victim to unfounded delusion.
Reply 6
No I want to join the rat race and outrun the other rats, killing them along the way.

what do you think of this?
Career. I'd get tired of the constant exams.

Quick Reply

Latest