The Student Room Group

Is it worth looking at some A-LEVEL stuff ?

Bearing in mind i've just finished my GCSE do you think it's worth buying the new revision guides and looking through some topics ?
The subjects that I've chosen are : Biology,Chemistry,Maths,Economics.
Although, i won't be revising like 24/7 because i'll be really busy in the next few weeks. :smile:
Thank you xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
Bearing in mind i've just finished my GCSE do you think it's worth buying the new revision guides and looking through some topics ?
Although, i won't be revising like 24/7 because i'll be really busy in the next few weeks. :smile:
Thank you xx

I started to self teach AS after results day and it really gave me a head start.

Try out the physics and maths tutor website it has some great economics and maths notes.
Original post by BR2671999
I started to self teach AS after results day and it really gave me a head start.

Try out the physics and maths tutor website it has some great economics and maths notes.

Oh ok :smile: Thank you :biggrin: Do you think economics is hard ? I've never done it so I'm really nervous :colondollar:
I used that web for GCSE too
Start after results day, if anything. Until then, enjoy your summer.
I might but later. If I don't look at the Alevel stuff I'll at least make sure I know the GCSE stuff well because I'd probably have forgotten it by then.
Original post by SeanFM
Start after results day, if anything. Until then, enjoy your summer.

Yh i will :h: Thank you

Original post by niv1234
I might but later. If I don't look at the Alevel stuff I'll at least make sure I know the GCSE stuff well because I'd probably have forgotten it by then.

When will you start ? Yeh same lol
If I could go back and do it again, I probably would go back and focus on mechanics if you're taking with that on maths, and based on what my friends have said chemistry.
Thank you xx

You can if you really want to but you don't need to.

You'll never get a summer this long again in your life. I'd say completely forget about school/college/sixth form/uni and just have a great summer doing whatever you want.
Reply 8
God no, just enjoy your summer.
Reply 9
No

This is the last taste of freedom until the end of Y13! Even your summer holiday between Y12 and Y13 will be busy - with good students doing work experience, summer school, extra reading, personal statement prep and going through A2 content.
Reply 10
In maths if you took further maths GCSE you'll already be ahead of the game for core 1 & 2 (most of the 1st year).
It might be an idea just to glance over the subjects you're taking for 5 minutes a week just to make sure you don't forget anything crucial, but I wouldn't bother learning stuff as it's so much easier to learn with a teacher, so you're putting yourself under un necessary stress unless you have a sibling you is older than you studying these subjects too.
Yh i will :h: Thank you

When will you start ? Yeh same lol

I don't know. I just finished work experience yesterday so I think in a while. I'll just slowly start looking over everything. Also what are you doing with the things from the subjects you aren't doing next year?
Original post by niv1234
I don't know. I just finished work experience yesterday so I think in a while. I'll just slowly start looking over everything. Also what are you doing with the things from the subjects you aren't doing next year?

Oh ok my work experience isn't till August but in my spare time i'm just looking over the spec and some subjects. The annoying thing is that the subjects BOARD that i've done at GCSE e.g Biology and chemistry and different in A-level. I don't even know how to use the website for OCR ?! :colondollar: lol.
What do you mean by things ? Do you mean resources,revision guides ?! If so i've packed it all up in a cardboard box so my sister can use them. She's only 2 years younger than me. She's chosen her options but i just hope they are the same as mine. She's getting them back next week. Hopefully my books and resources will be useful to her. What about you ?
Oh ok my work experience isn't till August but in my spare time i'm just looking over the spec and some subjects. The annoying thing is that the subjects BOARD that i've done at GCSE e.g Biology and chemistry and different in A-level. I don't even know how to use the website for OCR ?! :colondollar: lol.
What do you mean by things ? Do you mean resources,revision guides ?! If so i've packed it all up in a cardboard box so my sister can use them. She's only 2 years younger than me. She's chosen her options but i just hope they are the same as mine. She's getting them back next week. Hopefully my books and resources will be useful to her. What about you ?

Oh how come its in August? We had a week off school to do it and it was compulsory. I don't even know what school I'm going to next year let alone the boards I will be doing.

Yeah I meant resources. Thats a good idea but my little brother, who is also 2 years younger than me, probably isn't doing the same subjects as me and he goes to a different school where they do completely different things. He's doing that new GCSE, which I know pretty much nothing about.
Oh ok :smile: Thank you :biggrin: Do you think economics is hard ? I've never done it so I'm really nervous :colondollar:
I used that web for GCSE too

I joined my economics class 4 weeks late and i really struggled at first, because it is like a completely new way of thinking and it was even worse for me because business and economics have conflicting theories so i had to keep them seperate.

Don't worry if you struggle at first because first it is a very short specification so you should finish it way before the exams and then it will all just click. :biggrin:
Thank you xx

I would highly advise you start doing light Revision in summer as these were the subjects I took and the difficulty in content and work you get is massive jump from GCSE (Shame I never listened 😢). I'd recommend physicsandmathstutor.com for Maths and Economics and CGP Revision guides for Biology Chemistry and Economics. However do not rely on them as the actual Textbook they give you from the exam board has details which you won't find in there but it's a good place to start. Id also recommend We EconPlusDal for Economics. Good Luck. (P.S Id start this about beginning of August?)
I would highly advise you start doing light Revision in summer as these were the subjects I took and the difficulty in content and work you get is massive jump from GCSE (Shame I never listened 😢). I'd recommend physicsandmathstutor.com for Maths and Economics and CGP Revision guides for Biology Chemistry and Economics. However do not rely on them as the actual Textbook they give you from the exam board has details which you won't find in there but it's a good place to start. Id also recommend We EconPlusDal for Economics. Good Luck. (P.S Id start this about beginning of August?)
Original post by BR2671999
I joined my economics class 4 weeks late and i really struggled at first, because it is like a completely new way of thinking and it was even worse for me because business and economics have conflicting theories so i had to keep them seperate.

Don't worry if you struggle at first because first it is a very short specification so you should finish it way before the exams and then it will all just click. :biggrin:

Which exam board did you do ?

Original post by niv1234
Oh how come its in August? We had a week off school to do it and it was compulsory. I don't even know what school I'm going to next year let alone the boards I will be doing.

Yeah I meant resources. Thats a good idea but my little brother, who is also 2 years younger than me, probably isn't doing the same subjects as me and he goes to a different school where they do completely different things. He's doing that new GCSE, which I know pretty much nothing about.

I only found work experience yesterday - so hard to find it :colonhash:
Yeh true :smile: Although for my sister not all of the subjects that she chose is changing so i guess it's useful. Btw i don't think the whole thing is changing only a few topics

Yeh true :smile: Although for my sister not all of the subjects that she chose is changing so i guess it's useful. Btw i don't think the whole thing is changing only a few topics

Edexcel.

Where are you doing work experience? I have medicine work exp next week :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest