The Student Room Group

What hopes and concerns do you have for how the UK will change?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I am an international student and I saw it on the news that more British→foreigners attacks happening there.
How serious is that...because that sounds terrible.
Original post by Dieselblue
I'm concerned about all the Left wingers leaving, Oh wait. No I'm not. That's a great thing. Sick of left wingers labelling anyone who puts immigration in a negative light a:
Racist
Sexist
Xenophobic
Facist
Bigot

Knowing TSR being infamous for being a site full of left wing 16 year olds I am expecting a lot of hate for this comment.

:rofl: painfully true.
Original post by XcitingStuart
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That is not a study.
Also as someone with insight mentioned, there's a phenomenon that is was always there, but now reporters are looking for it.
Yes, there might be more reported attacks; the operative word being reported.

Or there are more reported attacks because there is more hate crimes being committed......:facepalm::facepalm:
But thanks for agreeing xenophobia/racism does exist. Many 'leavers' refuse to accept it even exists.
Typical that people try to brush off the fact that xenophobia exists. Even if it is a phenomenon and has always been around (which is your reason). That's zero excuse. It shouldn't exist. Full stop.
Also they were newspaper articles which can be used show a link or as evidence between the result EU referendum and the increase in the number of hate crimes being committed.
Original post by Boreism
Does that include the older generation who did vote as opposed to most of the younger generation who didn't vote, who are still complaining 5 days on? :yawn:

Most of the people complaining probably DID vote. The ones who didn't vote weren't interested before, so why would they be interested now?

Posts like this are super tedious.

Given this decision will not even have its major economic impacts fully felt until at least 2 years down the line, you should brace yourself for complaining to last a hell of a lot longer than 5 days. This was a momentous (and in my opinion) stupid decision which has ramifications for the rest of my life, potentially, not simply a referendum on whether the nation's favourite colour was red or blue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by seaholme
Most of the people complaining probably DID vote. The ones who didn't vote weren't interested before, so why would they be interested now?

Posts like this are super tedious.

Given this decision will not even have its major economic impacts fully felt until at least 2 years down the line, you should brace yourself for complaining to last a hell of a lot longer than 5 days. This was a momentous (and in my opinion) stupid decision which has ramifications for the rest of my life, potentially, not simply a referendum on whether the nation's favourite colour was red or blue.

I did vote. Sure it wasn't the result I had expected, but do you see me moaning and plastering massive rants about it? NO.

Unfortunately life is full of disappointments sorry to tell you all and you just have to learn to cope and live with it.

Also there is no pleasing in some people in this day and age as this referendum proves and hence why I think a 2nd referendum will undoubtedly cause riots.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
I did vote. Sure it wasn't the result I had expected, but do you see me moaning and plastering massive rants about it? NO.

Unfortunately life is full of disappointments sorry to tell you all and you just have to learn to cope and live with it.

Also there is no pleasing in some people in this day and age as this referendum proves and hence why I think a 2nd referendum will undoubtedly cause riots.

It's nothing to do with 'pleasing' people. It's about having conviction and standing up for what you believe. If everybody behaved like you suggest, we'd essentially have no opposition to anything ever. Luckily we live in a democracy where a person can express an otherwise opinion to the status quo.
Original post by seaholme
It's nothing to do with 'pleasing' people. It's about having conviction and standing up for what you believe. If everybody behaved like you suggest, we'd essentially have no opposition to anything ever. Luckily we live in a democracy where a person can express an otherwise opinion to the status quo.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't stand up for what you believe, thats what you should do, get your voice heard. But at the same time you shouldn't always expect to get what you want by having a massive rant or tantrum; it doesn't always work.

Remember the student protest against the increased university tuition fees?
They tried to make their voices heard, but in the end they lost. It didn't work.

It's like not buying something a 5 year old wants, but cries because they expect you to feel guilty and buy the object for them. Basically by doing that when they throw a massive cry, they would expect it all the time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
I'm not saying that you shouldn't stand up for what you believe, thats what you should do, get your voice heard. But at the same time you shouldn't always expect to get what you want by having a massive rant or tantrum; it doesn't always work.

It's like taking away something a 5 year old really wants, but cries because they expect you to feel guilty and give the object back to them. Basically by giving them what they want when they throw a massive cry, they would expect it all the time.

Strangely I do not expect anything I personally say, especially on TSR to literally change the outcome of the referendum. However I am interested in why something so opposite to what seems common sense to me has happened. To which end I think it is entirely reasonable to put forth arguments on the subject. If people feel 'guilty' or that what I have said makes them re-think their position on something, then that's kind of the point of setting forth what I think. It self-evidently can't change but can contribute to people's thoughts on the future and this brexit debacle is very much not over yet. The question of what we want from the EU in this exit (eg access to the single market) and why the EU is important, I fully expect to remain relevant to the debate as to what sort of exit we will have. There may be a general election also. We literally have no idea what will happen and the views of people will influence where we go. Allegedly 1/3 of the public and some politicians don't even think there will be an exit.

So clearing up misunderstandings and presenting a point of view is not a waste of my time, in my opinion. Nor is it some kind of juvenile toy throwing as you have just suggested. The future is important, to me at least. I'm not going to give up on trying to put forward arguments because it is not over by any means, even if we do 'brexit' ourselves into financial ruin. I hope I have thoroughly explained why I am bothering to write these replies.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending