The Student Room Group

Who was the most successful ruler in history?

Based on all of the factors of success combined overall: keeping their people in check, expanding their realm in terms of wealth and influence, securing their position in terms of uprisings, foreign enemies, etc.

Again, this is overall and based on all the factors - just because a particular leader in history led great military campaigns does not mean their domestic leadership was any good.

Who takes the top spot?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Grand High Witch
Based on all of the factors of success combined overall: keeping their people in check, expanding their realm in terms of wealth and influence, securing their position in terms of uprisings, foreign enemies, etc.

Franco
Elizabeth I
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Elizabeth I

I agree, though the defeat of the Spanish Armada was mostly based on luck rather than pure military prowess.
Reply 4
Frederick II of Prussia.
Reply 5
Joffrey Baratheon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Allah (swt)
Original post by Josb
Frederick II of Prussia.

lol, you are the only person I know who could casually give such an answer just off the top of your head. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Gordon Brown
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Gordon Brown

Lol
Genghis Khan*
Reply 11
Original post by Wahrheit
Genghis Khan*

Beat me to it :unimpressed:
Alexander the Great
Queen Victoria
Reply 14
Original post by Yellow 03
lol, you are the only person I know who could casually give such an answer just off the top of your head. :biggrin:

Well, he turned a disparaged set of small feudal possessions into a great power. He was a philosopher and transformed his administration and laws into a coherent system, forty years before Napoleon. He won two major wars, including the Seven Years War. His situation was however desperate as he fought France, Austria, and Russia, the three main land superpowers of the time, but still managed to win by personally commanding his armies.
I don't see someone more qualified for this title.
Ronald Reagan :love:
JFK
Jean-Claude Junker.
If I had to pick, it would be Alexander the Great. After all, he did bring an end to the tyranny of the Persians, created an empire from Albania to Afghanistan, and left behind a ginormous legacy that is still making an impact to this very day. He was never defeated in battle, he created numerous famous cities (Alexandria, Egypt, for example), built tons of monuments that we still cherish today, and died a hero. It's too bad he didn't live on for longer. Who knows what would have become of the Ancient, and our Modern, world if he had?
David Cameron. Oh wait...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending