The Student Room Group

A-levels !

What do u think of these subjects i am wanting to do ?

1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Maths (stats)
4. Spanish or Geography or English Lang/lit

what do u think ? any tips and advice ?

Aspiring to do medicine or pharmacy in the near future
English Lit > English Lang/Lit but both are accepted by universities, Lit keeps options open better. English Lang is not accepted by top unis as a prerequisite for English, so if you ever consider doing English at degree level then it could hold you back from that, for medicine these are solid choices.*
Reply 2
Original post by Wahrheit
English Lit > English Lang/Lit but both are accepted by universities, Lit keeps options open better. English Lang is not accepted by top unis as a prerequisite for English, so if you ever consider doing English at degree level then it could hold you back from that, for medicine these are solid choices.*

Appreciate the reply ! Although would the combination of the subjects be well to handle ? For GCSE ive been doing all academic subjects
I'd say the first three are probably good for what you want want to do as biology and chemistry are really important for medicine. The last one is literally down to preference I'd say. I'm biased as I do geography and love it but I think maybe spanish would be good but only take it if you are confident in speaking it as I heard languages are hard at a level. I think english will look good as it is essay writing which you don't do much of for the first 3 subjects so it might show you can do various things. Geography is good as it is not a particularly hard subject and it gives you knowledge about the world, plus you do a bit of essay writing (not much in AS but lots more in A2 as I am finding out), so its quite a good compromise between maths and english. Which one would you say is your favourite?
Original post by AKDbbb
Appreciate the reply ! Although would the combination of the subjects be well to handle ? For GCSE ive been doing all academic subjects

Yeah I did Maths/Further Maths, Bio, Chem and German so quite similar and was fine :smile:*
Reply 5
Original post by AKDbbb
What do u think of these subjects i am wanting to do ?

1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Maths (stats)
4. Spanish or Geography or English Lang/lit

what do u think ? any tips and advice ?

Aspiring to do medicine or pharmacy in the near future

Hi. The combination is perfectly fine for Medicine since many universities require Chemistry as a complusory subject to take at A-Levels (some universities want Biology but its not too common). If you want to be fully sure that they're alright, i suggest you double check with the universities that you're aiming for (look through their websites and entry requirements).
Reply 6
Original post by Student232
I'd say the first three are probably good for what you want want to do as biology and chemistry are really important for medicine. The last one is literally down to preference I'd say. I'm biased as I do geography and love it but I think maybe spanish would be good but only take it if you are confident in speaking it as I heard languages are hard at a level. I think english will look good as it is essay writing which you don't do much of for the first 3 subjects so it might show you can do various things. Geography is good as it is not a particularly hard subject and it gives you knowledge about the world, plus you do a bit of essay writing (not much in AS but lots more in A2 as I am finding out), so its quite a good compromise between maths and english. Which one would you say is your favourite?

Thank you so much for the reply! tbh, english lit was really good because i would say my teacher made it enjoyable , although it was hard and it did require most of my time. I feel like geography is a subject that is quite natural to revise for as well as quick and doesnt require as much attention as english lit. Although Spanish i love because it leads to a different aspect to my choices and i feel i can enjoy it , although doing it as an A-level, in which im not a native speaker, i would expect it to be hard and i do not know if i would achieve a good result because of that . Therefore im quite lost rn.

Although sending the best wishes for geog tho !
Original post by AKDbbb
Thank you so much for the reply! tbh, english lit was really good because i would say my teacher made it enjoyable , although it was hard and it did require most of my time. I feel like geography is a subject that is quite natural to revise for as well as quick and doesnt require as much attention as english lit. Although Spanish i love because it leads to a different aspect to my choices and i feel i can enjoy it , although doing it as an A-level, in which im not a native speaker, i would expect it to be hard and i do not know if i would achieve a good result because of that . Therefore im quite lost rn.

Although sending the best wishes for geog tho !

Thank you. Are you staying at the same school or going to college? If you are staying at school you might want to check that your teacher does teach english lit at a level as it may not be as enjoyable with a different teacher. I think that if you do really love spanish you could always try, maybe practise over the summer so that you are ready for next year, I wouldn't say its impossible for someone not a native speaker you just need to keep on top of it. You don't have to make any choices now, you can always wait until results day and that normally tells you want subjects would be the best to choose.

I would say just choose the subject you know you enjoy and can stay motivated with, I started this year doing physics and I had to drop it as I had no motivation to do it and was so bored by it all. All of these subjects are facilitating subjects so I'm sure the Unis wouldn't mind you doing any of them.

Quick Reply

Latest