The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Opinions on LGBT people

Having looked at a few threads now and again on issues pertaining to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual (LGBT) community, I wanted to better understand people's personal logic on this subject. I myself am a member of the LGBT community (try guessing which one I am) and I want to see people being honest on their opinions about people like myself.

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Original post by Adamski191
Having looked at a few threads now and again on issues pertaining to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual (LGBT) community, I wanted to better understand people's personal logic on this subject. I myself am a member of the LGBT community (try guessing which one I am) and I want to see people being honest on their opinions about people like myself.

Well today I said to brother " You getting haircut soon? You look like an emo " , " Yea so? Your gay so... " soooo it isn't as good as what people think.
indifferent
I was schooled in an all boys secondary school, and I think for most of the guys in our year that made us very comfortable with the idea of homosexual relationships, and by extension the LGBT community. I like to imagine that this is how the majority of people in their teens think nowadays.

Personally I think that people should be able to love who they want without fear :biggrin:
I don't judge people on their sexuality or whatever, it's ridiculous. They deserve as much rights as an hetrosexual person.
Nobody cares that you're gay to be honest
I'm not one to judge someone's background, it's none of my business. I don't really care about it either, tbh if I was LGBT I wouldn't want lots of attention for it.
As long as you are not obnoxious about it, constantly talking about it and flaunting it go ahead. But stuff like pride rallies really piss me off, no I don't want to see a bunch of near naked people blocking out streets and creating horrible noise. but I refuse to do any of these new pronoun stuff it is a load of crap. There are only 3 Genders Male Female ( Hermaphrodite) but that is really rare no more no less
Reply 9
they sicken me, who do they think they are with their natural, biological urges euch pukes.
No offence but how can they even think like that ? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I have a lot of respect for the LGBT+ community, particularly those who have had to go through bullying, abuse and discrimination (and sadly much, much worse in other parts of the world), and still there are lots of people out there who will tell them they're mentally ill, they're 'freaks', they're weird, they're unnatural etc etc, because they have a fear of the unknown or a restrictive religious belief. Friends and family may not approve of them, but many will carry on their lives and live their life how they want to live it, not how other people tell them to live it with all these controlling and often damaging gender norms and I like that they're not afraid to defy those norms. I may not understand all the different sexual orientations and identities that come under LGBT+, but I certainly admire those in the LGBT+ community.
For me, some people in the LGBT community are just weird. There was a LGBT club at my high school and some of the members I didn't know were members at the time were weird. They always had their hair dyed in bright colors, wore dark clothes, and just had random personalities. Also when I attended my college orientation, the members representing LGBT were kind of weird too.

Other than some strange people in the lgbt, I don't really have an opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
No issues however i dislike this " queer culture" or whatever its called where some guys fell the need to talk in an extremely effeminate voice and act strange, that for some reason really annoys me.
Reply 14
Original post by Inexorably
they sicken me, who do they think they are with their natural, biological urges euch pukes.

Are you for real? 😂
Original post by Adamski191

Umm?? You are human, just like everybody else and deserve to be treated with the same amount of respect as every other person
Original post by Inexorably

Inb4 reported
OP asked for honest opinions :/

I'm completely indifferent! They're people and I know some pretty cool ones and others who I'd rather avoid!
This isn't really a comment on all LGBT people, but there have been very problematic shifts in the attitudes in the LGBT community, which only harm the movement. I used to be pretty indifferent to the LGBT community - live and let live as far as I was concerned - but over time I've become more antagonistic to the LGBT crowd. Mostly because the LGBT community no longer abides by the principle of ''live and let live'' and has rather opted for a more aggressive ''either support us or you're a hateful bigot'' approach.

Today, it is no longer enough that people are allowed to conduct their private affairs as they want. It's no longer enough that I remain neutral in the topic, stay out of the way and erect no obstacles for the LGBT community. Mere toleration is no longer enough. It's not enough that I live and let live. Nowadays, I'm expected to acknowledge homosexuality, transsexuality etc as normal, as moral, as something that should be encouraged. And if I don't do that, if I don't unconditionally agree with it - then I'm a hateful bigot, who deserves to be socially shamed and ostracized. This kind of thought policing is downright disturbing and incredibly invasive.

This has turned people, who were previously neutral and indifferent, into people who now have negative and antagonistic views of the LGBT community. Gays and transsexuals have the right to demand equal treatment from society, but they absolutely have no right to demand that society agree to their views on sexual ethics.
I am the opinion of live and let live also.. as long as each person is happy, then that's all that matters.

Unfortunately it is hard to change everybody's opinions and there will always be bigots!

I do understand that promoting Fundamental British Values in Nursery and Schools should go a long way to reducing these indifferent views and should rightly make more people understand that a person should be able to live their life how they want.

I do not see the point in these LGBT demonstrations.. although if they are enjoying themselves then great but doesn't this just highlight the fact that they are in a group? It appears to me that they are celebrating their differences with the colours and the costumes and funkiness! Yes this is great and seems fun but again, it reinforces that being in the LGBT community is some special kind of community! It is in fact separating LGBT from other groups.. and having a negative effect, in my opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending