The Student Room Group

What to do with feet at junctions?

Please could you do 2 step to steps on
1. Completely stopping with handbrake at a junction
2. Stopping without using the handbrake and then how to get going once you've stopped
It's annoying me because I keep getting confused ( could you include what you do with your feet )

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beckyemma
Please could you do 2 step to steps on
1. Completely stopping with handbrake at a junction
2. Stopping without using the handbrake and then how to get going once you've stopped
It's annoying me because I keep getting confused ( could you include what you do with your feet )

At a junction with the handbrake on:

1. Begin braking, then put the clutch down. Then brake more firmly until you've stopped.
2. Apply the handbrake, and make sure you're in 1st gear ready to move off again.
3. Lift the clutch up to the biting point.
4. When you're ready to move off, apply a bit of gas and release the handbrake.
5. Flex the clutch up gently.

At a junction without the handbrake:

1. Begin braking, then put the clutch down. Then brake more firmly until you've stopped.
2. Make you're in 1st gear ready to move off again.
3. Apply a bit of gas, then flex the clutch up.

I used to struggle with this too, but it's fine once you get the hang of it! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Omg you're amazing! Thank you so much for that, it's helped me so much!!!!!❤️

Original post by Leviathan1741

1. Stop by putting the clutch down and then pressing on the brake pedal.
2. Apply the handbrake, and make sure you're in 1st gear ready to move off again.

1. Stop by putting the clutch down and pressing the brake pedal (as above).

I used to struggle with this too, but it's fine once you get the hang of it! :smile:
Reply 3
Wait without the handbrake do you not have to find the bite before the gas?

I generally apply a bit of gas before lifting the clutch when moving off without the handbrake, as I'm less likely to stall if I do that :smile:

The biting point is with gas other wise you would just stall
Original post by Alextaylor6
The biting point is with gas other wise you would just stall

Nope...

Pretty much every car can be held with no gas at the biting point, it's when you bring up the clutch a bit more, the car will either stall or it'll start moving if the engine produces enough power at idle RPMs to get it moving in the situation.

Most diesels and some petrols can get moving with no gas at, not sure how a petrol would cope if you stop slipping the clutch after getting it moving with no gas, but as soon as you get a diesel moving quick enough, you can just come off the clutch and let the car pull itself (generally only with 1st and 2nd gear).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TheMcSame
Nope...

Pretty much every car can be held with no gas at the biting point, it's when you bring up the clutch a bit more, the car will either stall or it'll start moving if the engine produces enough power at idle RPMs to get it moving in the situation.

Most diesels and some petrols can get moving with no gas at, not sure how a petrol would cope if you stop slipping the clutch after getting it moving with no gas, but as soon as you get a diesel moving quick enough, you can just come off the clutch and let the car pull itself (generally only with 1st and 2nd gear).

With petrol cars you can only really bite without gas on a flat. On any kind of slope you really need gas, or you'll stall. Even on a flat, why bother? If you're concerned about fuel efficiency there are much better ways to save fuel.

I never lift the clutch without gas unless I'm on a downward slope and then I just let gravity do its thing.
Original post by offhegoes
With petrol cars you can only really bite without gas on a flat. On any kind of slope you really need gas, or you'll stall. Even on a flat, why bother? If you're concerned about fuel efficiency there are much better ways to save fuel.

I never lift the clutch without gas unless I'm on a downward slope and then I just let gravity do its thing.

Who said anything about fuel efficiency? You're making blind assumptions.

The big benefits are in traffic and maneuvers.

Traffic - Because you set off slowly it allows a gap to form, thus more distance between you and the car in front. Fuel efficiency bonus right there if you're smart about that gap.
With diesels specifically, let it pick up a bit of speed and you can take your foot off the clutch and let the car pull itself along, a big bonus in traffic and in car parks, makes them much less bothersome.

Maneuvers - Allows you to move slowly if needed.
Reply 9

Personally I only hit the clutch once I've slowed down enough to be at the point where I should change gear, but I can't imagine it making much difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

You stop by putting the brake down first, then the clutch. The other way round takes longer to stop.
Original post by Juno
You stop by putting the brake down first, then the clutch. The other way round takes longer to stop.

Yeah, I start braking then I put the clutch down. Perhaps I should have made that clear!
Reply 12
Yeah, I start braking then I put the clutch down. Perhaps I should have made that clear!

Your first step clearly states the opposite
Original post by Juno
Your first step clearly states the opposite

I was just trying to make things easier to understand by doing things separately. OP will get better at co-ordinating the brake and clutch etc once they've had more practice.
Reply 14
I was just trying to make things easier to understand by doing things separately. OP will get better at co-ordinating the brake and clutch etc once they've had more practice.

So why not say brake then clutch if that's what you meant?

The way you wrote it is wrong, and trying to justify it doesn't change that
Reply 15
Who said anything about fuel efficiency? You're making blind assumptions.

The big benefits are in traffic and maneuvers.

Traffic - Because you set off slowly it allows a gap to form, thus more distance between you and the car in front. Fuel efficiency bonus right there if you're smart about that gap.
With diesels specifically, let it pick up a bit of speed and you can take your foot off the clutch and let the car pull itself along, a big bonus in traffic and in car parks, makes them much less bothersome.

Maneuvers - Allows you to move slowly if needed.

Firstly, I was talking specifically about petrol cars.

Secondly, you can set off just as slowly with gas as without by controlling the clutch, so right away that is nonsense, unless you're ultra obsessive about fuel consumption. And virtually eliminating the risk of stalling makes you safer overall.
Original post by Juno
So why not say brake then clutch if that's what you meant?

The way you wrote it is wrong, and trying to justify it doesn't change that

I'll edit it now
1. Know when youve got to stop by and apply the brakes in good time to do so.
I generally heel-toe downshift as its smoother but if youre learning then i wouldnt do that.
Then once youre nearly stopped (5-10mph) depress the clutch and come to a controlled stop.
Then handbrake up, shift to first and find biting point.
Then wait until safe to move.

2. Stopping without handbrake is personally easier for me as i have more control over the car.
You stop in the same manner but instead of applying the handbrake, keep your right foot on the brake pedal. Then shift into first and find the biting point with your left.
Once its safe to go, make sure to not roll backwards and apply some throttle to get the car moving. Then just release the clutch and add more acceleration.

My describing ways arent very good but ive done my best here.
Nope...

So when a red light turns green, you just lift your foot up, move away slower than a turtle and pray that you rant on a slope or you will stall, nice advise mate
Reply 19
Original post by Alextaylor6
So when a red light turns green, you just lift your foot up, move away slower than a turtle and pray that you rant on a slope or you will stall, nice advise mate

His advice is actually really good if you're in the middle of a queue - gives you more chance to react to the guy in front stalling. However I only do that in slow moving traffic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending