The Student Room Group

New phone under £450?

Scroll to see replies

My LG G4 was excellent and still is - replaceable battery, outstanding camera, a pretty good processor, QHD display, and looks sweg as well. :yep:
Original post by BlindingLight
Any ideas when the Nexus 7 will be coming out?

Nexus 7 is out for few years now ^^
The new nexus smartphone should be out probably in August but it's only speculations.
Original post by RibbonTide
Dude buy LG. LG phones are good

Don't buy LG. I'm still using my G3 (been using it for 2years) now and currently waiting for the new nexus or new iPhone (can't decide yet). I was happy for the first 3 months but then so many issues... OMG.. It wasn't only me... Installing cyanogenmod solves some issues but brings some more.. LG is a big NO from me. +i'm using it as a phone and not some jewellery. I drop it sometimes etc. and this phone cannot take it regardless of my glass screen protector and zerolemon external battery & case.
(edited 7 years ago)
I love how not an iphone is a criteria :biggrin:
I'm looking to buy a new phone under £450.

The features I'm looking at are:

-Excellent camera and screen
-Good build and design, reasonably sturdy
-Not an iPhone

Thoughts and suggestions?

https://oneplus.net/uk/3

it doesn't have a good screen (my first criteria).
What doesn't make it a good screen MKBHD said its the best 1080p screen on the market. I have a one plus 3 and trust me the screen is not ****.

https://youtu.be/ycIpOZY03OM

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
it doesn't have a good screen (my first criteria).

It has an excellent screen according to everyone who has actually looked at it, just because it's not 1440p doesn't mean it's not good. There's only so much you can fit in the spec sheet of a £300 phone.

But yeah, my suggestions can be found in my mobile phone guide that's stickied in the Mobile Phones subforum. The OP3 takes my #1 recommendation for low cost phones, I just haven't had time to edit it into the guide yet.*

-Not an iPhone

Thoughts and suggestions?

Hi,

Me and most of my friends buy phones from Tesco mobile as they do this thing where you don't have to pay of the phone when you buy it but the price of the phone is included in the monthly payments.

Spoiler

Original post by niv1234
Hi,

Me and most of my friends buy phones from Tesco mobile as they do this thing where you don't have to pay of the phone when you buy it but the price of the phone is included in the monthly payments.

Spoiler

What you've described there is a relatively normal phone contract that is offered by all phone networks.
Oh ok, I didn't realise. Oops,sorry. I thought most places asked you to pay an upfront cost.
One plus three sounds great but it's camera and screen are kinda meh.

Its camera in real world use is as good as anything else you'd find for less than £450 and while it doesn't have the highest resolution screen it is still a clearer, more accurately coloured screen than you'll find on damn near anything else in the same price range.
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok, I didn't realise. Oops,sorry. I thought most places asked you to pay an upfront cost.

it depends on what phone you want and how much you want your monthly bill to be. Want an iPhone 6S Plus with £15 per month payments? You're going to pay a load up front. Happy to spend £60 per month? That upfront cost disappears.
Oh ok thank you. That makes so much sense and I understand now. I've never paid an upfront cost for any of my phones somehow.
This helps.

Are you aware of any shops where I could have a look at this phone and 'play' around with it, and have a look at the screen myself?

Also if you had to choose b/w S6/S6 edge and OnePlus 3, which one would it be?

Cheers.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you're willing to give up a few apps in place of a less popular but very nice platform, I have a Microsoft Lumia 640 that I think is about £100 lol. I pay £10 a month for it. It doesn't do too much but has a very nice camera, has survived being thrown at walls and is overall quite a nice phone.

There's probably newer versions too that are better.

-Not an iPhone Thoughts and suggestions?

get a Samsung i have an s7 but that a little over your budget i used to have a j5 which is a good phone if you want something more conservatively priced
Reply 56
Original post by Alexion
My LG G4 was excellent and still is - replaceable battery, outstanding camera, a pretty good processor, QHD display, and looks sweg as well. :yep:

I second this. Very well performing phones with arguably the best cameras of their generation, great display, removable battery and sweggy leather back.

Can be had new for under £250 now and for your budget you could probably get a G5, with a better wide lens camera, metal design, fingerprint scanner, removable modules and other gimmicks.
Original post by M451
I second this. Very well performing phones with arguably the best cameras of their generation, great display, removable battery and sweggy leather back.

Can be had new for under £250 now and for your budget you could probably get a G5, with a better wide lens camera, metal design, fingerprint scanner, removable modules and other gimmicks.

G5 flopped :frown:
Reply 58
G5 flopped :frown:

Got my G4 brand new for £225 in December because it also supposedly flopped, according to the critics. Personally, I know they're solid device so I'll enjoy the price drops that result from these supposed flops.

LG always seems to make gimmicky devices - there's always something to stand out each year. When you consider the fact that we've pretty much reached a plateau in phone technology, as there's nowhere left to go, it's nice to have a manufacturer that can put a little character into its handsets without compromising on the essentials. QHD screen, solid CPU and RAM, amazing camera and removable battery - I can't really see where you can go wrong.
This helps.

Are you aware of any shops where I could have a look at this phone and 'play' around with it, and have a look at the screen myself?

Also if you had to choose b/w S6/S6 edge and OnePlus 3, which one would it be?

Cheers.

OnePlus only sell directly to consumers, so your best bet would be hoping one shows up in a local CEX.

For camera and display quality I would go for the S6 or S6 Edge (that's nothing against the OP3, Samsung simply produce the best displays and cameras of any Android manufacturer), for performance and longevity I would take the OP3, for design I would take the OP3 or S6 Edge, and for value I would take the OP3 and pocket £100+ that I could use to insure it or buy some other gadgets. It depends where your priorities lie really. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending