The Student Room Group

Straight male having female friends

I was wondering how many other guys have actually kept female friends for a long time. Almost every single female friend I've made in my lifetime eventually died out. Only one female friend that I still keep in contact and genuinely friends. She was one of the few people that visited me at the hospital after I had a life changing operation.

Do you sometimes regret for being friends with a girl you find attractive for too long? Because at some point she ends up being romantically involved with another guy.

Do you feel any different being with your male friends compared to your female friends?

Some gay guys think that if you have more female friends than male friends, than you're possibly gay. So if you actually have more female friends than male friends, do you feel gay?

Girls, what do you think of guys with female friends?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2 female friends, I think one is attractive but is dating someone. We share similar interests and go to the same sixth form and do geography together. I have no regrets about becoming friends with them and hanging out. Also no one has questioned if i was gay (which im not)
Original post by Drussjnr
Also no one has questioned if i was gay (which im not)

I only said that if a guy has more female friends than male friends. Unless you literally only have 1 male friend and 2 female friends.
Reply 3
I have 4 female friends who I'm very close friends with, and my other female friends I don't speak to/see nearly as often. Probably more acquaintances now then friends.

All 4 of them are old university friends who I've known for almost 5 years now. They're all attractive, but I can't see myself going out with any of them. It would be like dating a sister or a close cousin.

I had another female friend who I was probably the closest to at university. Eventually she broke up with her ex and we started seeing each other. It all went up in flames though and I no longer speak to her at all. Having female friends is fine, as long as you don't get romantically involved with them, because it's impossible to go back to "being just friends"
My best friend is a girl, at work I hang out with the girls more at lunch and such, this tends to be because they're more chatty and I'm very talkative and tbh like gossiping. Uni was an equal mix and we still meet up fairly regularly, then outside of that I have a couple of guys I know from elsewhere.

It doesn't make me feel gay though to spend time with girls, why on earth would it do that? It has no bearing on my sexuality.
Original post by joey11223
It doesn't make me feel gay though to spend time with girls, why on earth would it do that? It has no bearing on my sexuality.

You'd be surprised. Some guy was straight, but now he is bisexual. Everyone is different.
I've known 4 for quite a few years and I don't feel different around them at all. And our relationships have never affected our friendship.

And I do have more female friends than male friends but I don't understand why that would make me feel gay (it certainly doesn't, by the way) :lol:
so what if you have female friends?
i do understand that some people ended up being in a relationship which is not weird as well but it would be weird if you fell for all of your female friends :colonhash:
Reply 8
Original post by ColossalAtom
Some gay guys think that if you have more female friends than male friends, than you're possibly gay. So if you actually have more female friends than male friends, do you feel gay?

Lol no.
I never had any close female friends :redface:.
I was wondering how many other guys have actually kept female friends for a long time. Almost every single female friend I've made in my lifetime eventually died out. Only one female friend that I still keep in contact and genuinely friends. She was one of the few people that visited me at the hospital after I had a life changing operation.

I'm a straight guy and a by far the majority of my friends are girls, I only have one, maybe two male friends - it's been this way for a few years now.

Do you sometimes regret for being friends with a girl you find attractive for too long? Because at some point she ends up being romantically involved with another guy.

No. Not all guys want to bone every remotely attractive girl they see - of all the girls I've been friends with (a number of whom would be considered attractive) I've only been romantically interested in two of them, one of whom I ended up dating for a while.

If you mean "do I regret getting friendzoned", then consider that the friendzone is the result of guys being "friends" with girls just to get in their pants. If you actually just want to be friends with them, it's not really an issue...

Do you feel any different being with your male friends compared to your female friends?

Not really. I just don't think gender is that big a factor in my interactions with other people.

No... I'm not gay, so why should having female friends make me "feel gay"? I'm not sure I understand...

Plus, only one person has ever suggested that I could be gay because of it. She asked me outright, I said I wasn't, and that was it. Not that big a deal.
You'd be surprised. Some guy was straight, but now he is bisexual. Everyone is different.

I would argue he was always bi-sexual but it took him time to explore it.

Why would spending time with females make me like males sexually if I didn't have any inclining of it in my mind before? Would I be copying the females attraction to males or something?
Original post by joey11223
I would argue he was always bi-sexual but it took him time to explore it.

Why would spending time with females make me like males sexually if I didn't have any inclining of it in my mind before? Would I be copying the females attraction to males or something?

True. Sorry for my dumb questions.
True. Sorry for my dumb questions.

"aww" came to mind, so there is a degree of influence. It's okay brah.
Im a female with many male friends that are genuinely quite close to me. None of their sexualities have ever been questioned when they're with me and at least 5 of them have girlfriends. :h:

About the whole friendzone situation-if your only intentionis to be friends with a girl 'friendzoning' shouldn't be a problem.. I dont think I explained that in a helpful way but oh well :smile:
Original post by Banana208
Im a female with many male friends that are genuinely quite close to me. None of their sexualities have ever been questioned when they're with me and at least 5 of them have girlfriends. :h:

About the whole friendzone situation-if your only intentionis to be friends with a girl 'friendzoning' shouldn't be a problem.. I dont think I explained that in a helpful way but oh well :smile:

I guess in order to let a girl know that you're romantically interested in her - is to have a heroic opening like: "Hey, I like you. Let's go out sometime". Before the main process of friendship takes place.
It helps if you have some balls to talk to them... :mmm:

Your not missing out on much, its just like any friend.
The majority of my friends are female. Many of whom I've met at university, but I have a handful online and some I've just met over time (ex-work colleagues, acquaintances etc). One in particular I've known since high school. In terms of appearance she's a solid 10/10 in my opinion and she has one of the most incredibly personalities I've ever seen; kind, ambitious, mature. I've never regretted not making a move because I know nothing romantic/sexual could ever happen between us, and her involvement with other guys never phased me for that reason.

Not really. I feel equally comfortable.

I don't feel gay in the slightest, although on occasion people have mistaken me for being gay
Original post by Foo.mp3
This was me, up to 16. Since adulthood, however, I've ****ed pretty much each and every one of my attractive, available female friends :evilbanana:

:gasp: imagine if I did the same with all my male friends,I'd be called a slut straight away. Most of my friends are actually male,good looking and not beta who wouldn't mind getting it on but unless I liked them a certain romantic way,it'd feel completely weird and ruin beautiful friendships I have with them
(edited 7 years ago)
I have 8 friends, half of them are females. I love all of them so much! <3

Quick Reply

Latest