The Student Room Group

How to tell if I've got Asperger's Syndrome?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mathemagicien
Which is my point. Asking for the OP's subject of study was as important as other indicators for Aspergers, since they are all 'merely correlated' to Aspergers, none of them are definitive

Afaik though; subject choice isn't one of those boxes for Asperger's.
(edited 7 years ago)
But it is very strongly correlated to Asperger traits, enough to be a useful bit of information

I don't think it's that strongly correlated really, I saw an article a while ago where they tested the Autism Spectrum Quotient of people from different degrees and there was a trend, but it wasn't overwhelming. As far as criteria go, I don't think subject is a very good one.
But it is very strongly correlated to Asperger traits, enough to be a useful bit of information
Subject choice is not related to Aspergers... I know quite a few people with the condition and of them, one is a very good actor/ musician, one is gifted in languages, another loves sport and does judo competitively and someone else is very good at science/ maths. I also know a couple of people who have Aspergers and are quite clever, but they don't do particularly well in school (for various reasons). Subject choice is not part of the diagnostic criteria as overall, people with Aspergers have a variety of (usually very narrow) interests.
(edited 7 years ago)
How do people definitely disagose it? Like, how do Doctors know someone got it?
Original post by Anonymous
Well?
Hello. Asperger's is a spectrum condition, so you wouldn't really be able to get a definitive answer unless you went to your doctor who would refer you to the appropriate professional to carry out the assessment. What traits/characteristics/behaviours make you think you have Asperger's? The only reason I'm asking is that for a referral to be made, your GP will probably need to know why you think you have Asperger's, so they can be sure that a referral is needed. Perhaps have a read here: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/asperger.aspx , particularly the bit about 'How Asperger Syndrome is diagnosed' and http://www.autism-society.org/what-is/aspergers-syndrome/ . Don't expect to be able to say you have all of these traits/characteristics/behaviours, because as I said before, it is a spectrum condition and everyone is different. However, if you can relate to most of them, I would suggest that you speak to people who have known you well from a young age, and if they think that you may also have Asperger's, you could perhaps consider going to see your GP about a diagnosis. Hope this helps :smile: Source: Personal experience
How do people definitely disagose it? Like, how do Doctors know someone got it?
Assuming that you are from the UK and that they do the same in all parts of the UK (I'm from Scotland), once you have been referred by the GP and reach the top of the waiting list, the person you have been referred to meet with your parents/carers to discuss you and your development from birth to present. They ask questions from an assessment 'questionnaire' and then mark it. They will also ask people who know you well at your school for comments about you. If they think that you could possibly have Asperger's, they invite you to come and meet them for an assessment which involves several tasks, that you will probably find straightforward. The way in which you interact with the people and complete the tasks will allow them to make a decision based on a criteria, which you will be informed of on the same day or very soon after. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Tiger Rag
Doesn't matter what you study. I know plenty of autistic people who have degrees in arts based subjects.

Just trying to narrow it down.
Original post by physicsphysics91
Just trying to narrow it down.

Eh? I know more people with aspergers who have degrees in subjects like English than I do maths. It's not part of the criteria to be diagnosed either.
No, I don't do engineering.

I don't want to go to the doctor and randomly ask about this.

I don't know what a parabola is.
Going to the doctor is the only way of knowing for sure. They can arrange for you to see a clinical psychiatrist and be examined for it, but it's a long process.

What makes you think you've got it?
Two most important questions is why did you ask the question? What makes you think you may have Asperger's syndrome?*

I don't want to go to the doctor and randomly ask about this.

But you do want to go online and randomly ask about this? A doctor is a trained professional and it's their job to diagnose these things so it wouldn't be "random" to consult one. I'm pretty sure everyone answering this thread will not be qualified to pass judgement. There are hundreds of tests you can take yourself but honestly, the best thing to do would be to go to an expert.
I can't believe nobody has asked this but is the OP simply curious or does he feel that he needs help and advise regarding his potential Aspergers.

My own family has a history of Autism on my mothers side and she (has a counseling qualification and has talked with my doctor) has suspected that i may have a mild form of Aspergers. Indeed i do meet some of the criteria and am frankly a bit wierd even if i do practically love myself because of it.

Personally though i could never see the benefit to being diagnosed formally because of the things i struggle with (small talk, empathy), they don't really bother me and i have always had absurd levels of self belief (unfounded or not) even if i've never understood why others don't believe in themselves. If one likes who they are, do they really need diagnosing.

Just a thought because i think a lot of people with disorders these days like to be able to call themselves disabled ect.. when they can function quite happily.

Quick Reply

Latest