The Student Room Group

Friend doesn't want to rent with me..

I asked a friend of mine I've known since childhood if they would like to look for a place to rent together. She doesn't get along with her flatmate and is always complaining about it, and I'm sick of my dad. She said she'd think about it. Today she said that she didn't think moving in together would be a good thing as our routines and lives are so different, and that she has to go to bed at 10pm whereas I'm quite a late nighter, though I'm very quiet and Im not one to go out and get drunk.
I thought this seemed quite a random reason and thought it odd that she'd rather live with someone shes not friends with and doesn't get along. She said that although theyre not friends, they respect each other, as though implying that I would not. Obviously I can't force the issue and it's her decision, but I can't pretend I'm not somewhat hurt. I think the real reason she doesn't want to live with me is because I'm mentally unstable, though not in a way that affects or disturbs other people.
She said that she didn't want to ruin our friendship by getting into petty arguments about leaving the lights on at night, etc.
Should I just not bother and live with my dad forever? I don't really want to live on my own..
Edit: also she keeps saying how much she loves the area I live in and how she wants to move nearer to where I am, yet when I offer to look for a place together she doesn't want to?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was going to say it could be she's afraid your friendship could end if you fell out and had arguments. I'd find somebody else who's not a friend. Sometimes that's best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sherlockfan

She's got a very good point - friendship in terms of enjoying a person's company, having a compatible sense of humour etc is very different from being suitable domestically. I know I certainly could never live with my best friend, our approaches to 'use by dates' and the washing up alone are completely incompatible and to try and force it would end the friendship - which is far more valuable.

Sharing a house with someone where it is a more distant, businesslike relationship is far more reliable.
Reply 3
Living with someone full time is very different than having sleepovers, it can be quite a strain on a friendship.. I had one of my friends living with me and it was the worst experience.. We fell out for a long time, until he moved out and then we were good friends again! Maybe she's genuinely worried it will affect your relationship?
Youve really answered your own question. save uo money, get your mental health under control, then either go and study or consider mobing out when you have a job. A few years more wont matter. Cant say what you should do anout your friend and whether you wnat to let it affect your friendship. I do see its awkward.
Things change. If you get more under control and her flatmate doesnt turn out then it might become an option again.
Original post by 999tigger
Youve really answered your own question. save uo money, get your mental health under control, then either go and study or consider mobing out when you have a job. A few years more wont matter. Cant say what you should do anout your friend and whether you wnat to let it affect your friendship. I do see its awkward.
Things change. If you get more under control and her flatmate doesnt turn out then it might become an option again.

Living with my dad doesn't help my mental health issues as he can be quite emotionally abusive. If I have to wait until I've resolved all my issues, I'll never move out.
Original post by threeportdrift
She's got a very good point - friendship in terms of enjoying a person's company, having a compatible sense of humour etc is very different from being suitable domestically. I know I certainly could never live with my best friend, our approaches to 'use by dates' and the washing up alone are completely incompatible and to try and force it would end the friendship - which is far more valuable.

Sharing a house with someone where it is a more distant, businesslike relationship is far more reliable.

Original post by Xellah
Living with someone full time is very different than having sleepovers, it can be quite a strain on a friendship.. I had one of my friends living with me and it was the worst experience.. We fell out for a long time, until he moved out and then we were good friends again! Maybe she's genuinely worried it will affect your relationship?

I understand your point but I couldnt live with someone who doesn't know me as well as my friend does, and she's the only friend I have.
Why would you think that? None of her friends know me..
To be honest it's possible she doesn't wanna become a carer for someone with mental health issues by living with you. It can be intense to live with someone with mental health issues, even mild ones... once you're living together you see and hear everything that goes on and you can feel like you need to be helping all the time. That's understandable. I'd imagine that the main reason is what she said, not wanting to ruin a friendship - again a good reason! Living with friends does put a strain on if someone doesn't pay a bill, uses too much electricity/heating, takes long showers, is wandering around while you're sleeping... etc there are so many ways to annoy a flatmate it's not worth putting a friendship through it.
Original post by doodle_333
To be honest it's possible she doesn't wanna become a carer for someone with mental health issues by living with you. It can be intense to live with someone with mental health issues, even mild ones... once you're living together you see and hear everything that goes on and you can feel like you need to be helping all the time. That's understandable. I'd imagine that the main reason is what she said, not wanting to ruin a friendship - again a good reason! Living with friends does put a strain on if someone doesn't pay a bill, uses too much electricity/heating, takes long showers, is wandering around while you're sleeping... etc there are so many ways to annoy a flatmate it's not worth putting a friendship through it.

Im perfectly capable of taking care of myself.
Living with my dad doesn't help my mental health issues as he can be quite emotionally abusive. If I have to wait until I've resolved all my issues, I'll never move out.

Then you will have to move out and live on your own or with strangers. You have to figure out if you can afford it. If your friend was to move out with you she might have been wary of your mental health issues and not wnat to be respobsible for them.

Will you be going to Uni?
Maybe you could consider a hostel or some form of sheltered housing for young people?

I'm not saying you'd ask for any support. However, if you look down, she hears you crying, she knows you've had a bad day but she wants to go out etc... she's your friend at the end of the day she isn't going to just ignore those things if she sees them.
Original post by doodle_333
I'm not saying you'd ask for any support. However, if you look down, she hears you crying, she knows you've had a bad day but she wants to go out etc... she's your friend at the end of the day she isn't going to just ignore those things if she sees them.

I haven't cried in more than a year. If I'm having a bad day I hardly let it show. Mental illness isn't always obvious.
Original post by 999tigger
Then you will have to move out and live on your own or with strangers. You have to figure out if you can afford it. If your friend was to move out with you she might have been wary of your mental health issues and not wnat to be respobsible for them.

Will you be going to Uni?
Maybe you could consider a hostel or some form of sheltered housing for young people?

I wouldn't expect her or anyone else to be responsible for my problems and she understands that.
I won't be going to uni. Might look into hostels. I'd be eligible for housing benefit so I'm pretty sure I could afford it.
I wouldn't expect her or anyone else to be responsible for my problems and she understands that.
I won't be going to uni. Might look into hostels. I'd be eligible for housing benefit so I'm pretty sure I could afford it.

It just may make her cautious. If you show you have it under control she may rethink. Only she knows what her reasons are.
Reply 15
I understand your point but I couldnt live with someone who doesn't know me as well as my friend does, and she's the only friend I have.

It's difficult to say without knowing you both, but is there any chance she may consider that you would want to spend all your time with her? As others have said, the joy of sharing with non-friends is that you don't have to be social all the time.
Original post by Xellah
It's difficult to say without knowing you both, but is there any chance she may consider that you would want to spend all your time with her? As others have said, the joy of sharing with non-friends is that you don't have to be social all the time.

I don't think so. She works and I have life of my own.

Then live by yourself.
Reply 18
I don't think so. She works and I have life of my own.

Then I suppose the only way you're going to know is if you sit down and talk to her again. Maybe you could put her worries to rest, whatever they are. We can only help so much without knowing the people involved. :smile: hopefully you'll work something out, I don't think you'll be living with you dad forever, you'll manage something. :biggrin:
Original post by Profesh
Then live by yourself.

Just because I'm independent doesn't mean I want to live with no company. I'd do it as a last resort but it's a pretty grim option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending