The Student Room Group

EU Student in the UK after Brexit?

I want to apply for 2017 entry and I am from Germany. It's all a little dependent on a potential change in fees.. Does anybody know anything concrete about that?
Also, I would like to know if I am still "welcome" in the UK even if I can afford international fees. I am afraid that many people (these 52% or at least some of these...) are against Europeans in the UK and I already heard about some horrifying things that happened to EU citizens in the UK after the referendum...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
UK can only leave the EU in 2 years time so 2018. They have to spend min 2 years sorting out the terms and HAVE to follow EU laws until then. There is no way to guarantee anything but universities have said that even when UK leaves, they have no plans to make EU students pay international fees.

It is also generally done so that if you started the course on certain fees, they will not change for you. Only for the new people coming in. So in theory if you started this year with 9k fees a year, you will continue to pay 9k even if it changes to 20k per year.

As for how welcome you will be, depends on where you live and how obvious it is that you're not british. As you have probably seen, racism went way up after the vote has passed. There is no guarantee that it will get easier. But UK will not be able to deport you just because they left. At most, they will ask you to get a visa once UK has actually left EU.

But again, there is no way to tell for sure what will happen in 2 years time
Devify has deal with most of it.

If I were in your position I wouldnt be worried about fees as theres plenty of time to negotiate and until then we are still in the EU (next 2.5 years).
If you start in that period, then funding will be protected.
Its likely they will sort out some bilateral agreement with germany and the other major western European nations.

People arent against Europeans, so 100% do not worry about that. Do not be scared. There are a few ignorant people, but nothing to worry about. Universities are very liberal places and clamp down on any form of racism. There will also be thousands of internatuional students. Many people are still sad about leaving the EU, but its not the peoples its the way the EU bureaucracy works they object to.
Original post by Devify
UK can only leave the EU in 2 years time so 2018. They have to spend min 2 years sorting out the terms and HAVE to follow EU laws until then. There is no way to guarantee anything but universities have said that even when UK leaves, they have no plans to make EU students pay international fees.

It is also generally done so that if you started the course on certain fees, they will not change for you. Only for the new people coming in. So in theory if you started this year with 9k fees a year, you will continue to pay 9k even if it changes to 20k per year.

As for how welcome you will be, depends on where you live and how obvious it is that you're not british. As you have probably seen, racism went way up after the vote has passed. There is no guarantee that it will get easier. But UK will not be able to deport you just because they left. At most, they will ask you to get a visa once UK has actually left EU.

It's actually a maximum of 2 years time, well about 2 years since article 50 hasn't been triggered yet. The exact timeline and what happens after is still only open to speculation.

OP you'll be fine, you'll almost certainly be in a cohort where you're eligible for EU fees and student loans. The xenophobes are a small but vocal minority and not one you'll really hear around a university, I think if someone tried that kind of stuff around a uni they'd get punched or taken away by security very quickly.

I would say maybe be careful about speaking your views on the EU though. While the majority are supportive of a union of Europe, the majority don't support how it's run, even students.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's actually a maximum of 2 years time, well about 2 years since article 50 hasn't been triggered yet. The exact timeline and what happens after is still only open to speculation.

OP you'll be fine, you'll almost certainly be in a cohort where you're eligible for EU fees and student loans. The xenophobes are a small but vocal minority and not one you'll really hear around a university, I think if someone tried that kind of stuff around a uni they'd get punched or taken away by security very quickly.

I would say maybe be careful about speaking your views on the EU though. While the majority are supportive of a union of Europe, the majority don't support how it's run, even students.

No, it's definitely not max 2years. Once article 50 is activated the country is given 2 year negotiation period called sunset period. It will likely take a few months until it is activated first too. So it will be min 2 years before we actually leave. If by the end of those 2 years the terms have not been agreed on and other countries agree, the negotiation period can be extended. Most lawyers agree that 2 year period is pretty short and it will likely take the whole 2 years if not more to agree on the terms especially since there is no previous situation like this they can use as an example.
Original post by Devify
No, it's definitely not max 2years. Once article 50 is activated the country is given 2 year negotiation period called sunset period. It will likely take a few months until it is activated first too. So it will be min 2 years before we actually leave. If by the end of those 2 years the terms have not been agreed on and other countries agree, the negotiation period can be extended. Most lawyers agree that 2 year period is pretty short and it will likely take the whole 2 years if not more to agree on the terms especially since there is no previous situation like this they can use as an example.

Nope, go read article 50. Once triggered it's a maximum of two years and then we're booted out immediately, for it to be extended it must be unanimously agreed upon by the EU member states which isn't going to happen.The EU wants it done way before those 2 years are up and they're likely going to offer the UK a good deal (dependent on some conditions which will make leaving the EU seem pointless to other eurosceptic states) or we'll go into the EEA or EFTA and the UK will end up wanting the same timeline as the EU.

In fact that's pretty much the only two options which don't involve our trade being ruined for a few years after Brexit, unless the EU amends their constitution to allow for article 50 states to negotiate trade agreements before exit.
Reply 6
Nope, go read article 50. Once triggered it's a maximum of two years and then we're booted out immediately, for it to be extended it must be unanimously agreed upon by the EU member states which isn't going to happen.The EU wants it done way before those 2 years are up and they're likely going to offer the UK a good deal (dependent on some conditions which will make leaving the EU seem pointless to other eurosceptic states) or we'll go into the EEA or EFTA and the UK will end up wanting the same timeline as the EU.

In fact that's pretty much the only two options which don't involve our trade being ruined for a few years after Brexit, unless the EU amends their constitution to allow for article 50 states to negotiate trade agreements before exit.

So you basically just said that it allows for extension. So it is not 2 years max if it is possible to extend the negotiation period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Devify
So you basically just said that it allows for extension. So it is not 2 years max if it is possible to extend the negotiation period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also said that an extension is about as likely to happen as America voting in Boris Johnson as President. It would literally be more likely if there was no current guidance on extending the negotiation period and even then it wouldn't be likely because it would be a terrible situation for both the EU and the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Devify

I really hope they do follow EU laws until now.. Really? They didn't plan to? Didn't know that..
Well.. I would love to go to (and therefore also live in) Oxford, Warwick or Durham. Maybe also a uni in London but I am not sure about that. I know that Oxford and London were really in favour of remain, don't know about Coventry or Durham..
I don't know if it's obvious that I am not British. I don't look really British but I don't look typically German too.. My English is good in general I guess but I don't have any kind of british accent therefore I think it would get obvious when I talk that I am not British. Though I could work on that..
Yes I heard about racism going up - which is why I am a little concerned..
I think I would get a visa if it would be required when I study there, right?
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Devify has deal with most of it.

If I were in your position I wouldnt be worried about fees as theres plenty of time to negotiate and until then we are still in the EU (next 2.5 years).
If you start in that period, then funding will be protected.
Its likely they will sort out some bilateral agreement with germany and the other major western European nations.

People arent against Europeans, so 100% do not worry about that. Do not be scared. There are a few ignorant people, but nothing to worry about. Universities are very liberal places and clamp down on any form of racism. There will also be thousands of internatuional students. Many people are still sad about leaving the EU, but its not the peoples its the way the EU bureaucracy works they object to.

I hope that there is no need to worry about the fees.. I would start definitely in that period as I am already a reapplicant (already applied for 2016 entry and now for 2017) and would not delay university another year.
I was just scared because of that stories I heard about EU immigrants, amongst them some Germans too, being insulted etc.. I have already been to the UK a few times and never had any problems (but I also mostly went to Brighton/London which are both very liberal places I suppose..) and at the Oxford interviews last year nobody was mean or anything because I was German.. However I am just scared that the result of the referendum changed everything.
Reply 10

Really? So you would say it's kind of a "taboo" topic to talk about? Interesting.. Btw besides I am German I do think that the EU has its flaws and problems but I generally believe in the European idea.
Reply 11
Original post by scblx
I want to apply for 2017 entry and I am from Germany. It's all a little dependent on a potential change in fees.. Does anybody know anything concrete about that?
Also, I would like to know if I am still "welcome" in the UK even if I can afford international fees. I am afraid that many people (these 52% or at least some of these...) are against Europeans in the UK and I already heard about some horrifying things that happened to EU citizens in the UK after the referendum...

Lol don't worry about it. Most Leave voters ironically have no problem with Western European white immigrants. The refugee crisis is the main reason why people voted to leave the EU, even though leaving the EU only really reduces white immigration.
Original post by scblx
Really? So you would say it's kind of a "taboo" topic to talk about? Interesting.. Btw besides I am German I do think that the EU has its flaws and problems but I generally believe in the European idea.

I wouldn't say it's taboo, just risky at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending