The Student Room Group

£440 in rent to my parents -- is it fair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emerald777
Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions :smile:

Search for other places with a one bedroom, you never know you could find a better place for a smaller price
Original post by Tw1x
Wow, how big is your place? I'm in a 3 bedroom house and its £525 plus about 100 in bills

5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 toilet rooms on top, kitchen, living room and laundry room :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Raizelcadres
Search for other places with a one bedroom, you never know you could find a better place for a smaller price

This place is good and I survive.

My problem is the fact that it feels wrong because its family members that dont take into account my temporary financial situation. should you really think about the market rent when it comes to your children? I take care of myself, my expenditures and dont disturb them.
Reply 43
This place is good and I survive.

My problem is the fact that it feels wrong because its family members that dont take into account my temporary financial situation. should you really think about the market rent when it comes to your children? I take care of myself, my expenditures and dont disturb them.

Some parents do and some don't. That's not really the point. The point is you have a choice: you can pay it and stay. Or not pay it and move out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by jneill
Some parents do and some don't. That's not really the point. The point is you have a choice: you can pay it and stay. Or not pay it and move out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, show ticket and stay in train or dont show and leave.

IF only people like you with your common sense from the corner of your kitchen table had ruled over the world... everyone would be astonished at the performance of rational and flawless world we had lived in...
Reply 45
yeah, show ticket and stay in train or dont show and leave.

IF only people like you with your common sense from the corner of your kitchen table had ruled over the world... everyone would be astonished at the performance of rational and flawless world we had lived in...

I'm a parent :wink:
Reply 46
Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions :smile:

Is this per week or per month? And you pay all your phone, water, heating ect. Bills? I mean you are getting more than most uni students would but paying more too. Especially as I take it you are living at home which means you get the lower student finance just because you are staying with parents. Personally I would have just gone into uni accommodation (assuming that you are first year) because that would have been about the same money but the extra student finance would have covered it.
youve lived in their house 18 years rent free
Reply 48
Original post by Aph
Is this per week or per month? And you pay all your phone, water, heating ect. Bills? I mean you are getting more than most uni students would but paying more too. Especially as I take it you are living at home which means you get the lower student finance just because you are staying with parents. Personally I would have just gone into uni accommodation (assuming that you are first year) because that would have been about the same money but the extra student finance would have covered it.

OP is not a student in the UK...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply