The Student Room Group

Summer reading list?

Hey! I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge this autumn if my AS-Levels (of which I now feel unconfident about) have gone to plan. I love History and hope to be an academic when I'm older. I have a pile of books to read for both my English Literature course and for my French Revolution extended project, however I need to read more History books in preparation for my application - if, indeed, everything went to plan.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I prefer medieval-early modern History but I also love Modern History (I taught myself the A2 course about Fascism and the British Empire when I was in Year 8).
read anything you find interesting really - it would be much easier to talk about in an interview, seeing as your doing english lit as well some historical fiction might be interesting, and by that I mean an author writing in a specific period. I read books by Hans Fallada who wrote under the nazis and was almost prosecuted for doing so, i guess that kind of thing would just be some nice variety, in an interview I had I talked about his work as a historical source and any problems related to this (if that makes sense). its pretty generic advice but thats kinda it really, browse books on periods you like, maybe works by Cambridge professors? but considering you taught yourself an a level for fun you already seem pretty well set. (that being said i never applied to Cambridge). I hope thats of some help? Also i love your avatar haha :wink:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey! I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge this autumn if my AS-Levels (of which I now feel unconfident about) have gone to plan. I love History and hope to be an academic when I'm older. I have a pile of books to read for both my English Literature course and for my French Revolution extended project, however I need to read more History books in preparation for my application - if, indeed, everything went to plan.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I prefer medieval-early modern History but I also love Modern History (I taught myself the A2 course about Fascism and the British Empire when I was in Year 8).

You should read something about the study of history itself. Something like Black and Macraild's 'Studying History', or Richard Evans's 'In Defence of History'.

I'm about to start my third year at Oxford and have a huge number of reading lists etc. so if there's anything you'd be interested in reading let me know and I can give you some book recommendations.
Original post by colourtheory
I'm about to start my third year at Oxford and have a huge number of reading lists etc. so if there's anything you'd be interested in reading let me know and I can give you some book recommendations.

Thank-you so much!

Anything really, although I am particularly in need of some recommended theory of History books. Preferably something accessible to an A-Level student, but less standard than the norm for Oxbridge applicants. :redface:

Also are you aware on the blacklisted A-Level subjects? I'm just wondering if I will be disadvantaged as I did three AS levels in History, English literature and English language. :s-smilie: (I did Biology as well, but I dropped it at Easter because I couldn't get above an E grade...)
Thank-you so much!

Anything really, although I am particularly in need of some recommended theory of History books. Preferably something accessible to an A-Level student, but less standard than the norm for Oxbridge applicants. :redface:

Also are you aware on the blacklisted A-Level subjects? I'm just wondering if I will be disadvantaged as I did three AS levels in History, English literature and English language. :s-smilie: (I did Biology as well, but I dropped it at Easter because I couldn't get above an E grade...)

The requirement is 3 A-Levels - no more, no less.*

In terms of historiography, I think you could do worse than:

Augustine - City of God,
Machiavelli - The Prince, Discourses on Livy, and Florentine Histories. Thinking carefully here about Rome as a recurring motif.
Guicciardini - selected works
Gibbon - The Rise and Fall of Rome
Weber - The Protestant Ethic

You should think about the evolution of history as a discipline; its preoccupations and possible political applications.

Some of these are quite long and somewhat torturous reads, I think it best to select two and think about the ways in which the authors have approached their craft.*
Original post by colourtheory
The requirement is 3 A-Levels - no more, no less.*

In terms of historiography, I think you could do worse than:

Augustine - City of God,
Machiavelli - The Prince, Discourses on Livy, and Florentine Histories. Thinking carefully here about Rome as a recurring motif.
Guicciardini - selected works
Gibbon - The Rise and Fall of Rome
Weber - The Protestant Ethic

You should think about the evolution of history as a discipline; its preoccupations and possible political applications.

Some of these are quite long and somewhat torturous reads, I think it best to select two and think about the ways in which the authors have approached their craft.*

Thank you! :smile: I've picked City of God by Augustine and The Protestant Ethic by Weber. Thank you for your advice, when I read them I will be analytical about each authors approach to the study of History, and the way it has evolved - 5 A.D and 1905 A.D.

Would you suggest reading a wide scope of history which is outside of the A-Level history syllabus (I study Tudor England, the German Reformation and Witchcraft on my A-Level course - so therefore, would you suggest I branch out into more modern history or medieval history? Both of which I am interested in) or to widen my knowledge and make known my interest in history connects with my syllabus - such as the bulk of my independent reading being from the recommended reading sections from my History textbook. Or, would you suggest a bit of a mix? How do I approach it in preparation for a possible Oxbridge application (like I said, not confident about my AS levels...)?

There is so much History - I want to investigate and study it all. I think I may have quite a few questions to ask you regarding History if you are okay with that, but I don't want to pester you or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending