The Student Room Group

Who was the most successful ruler in history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
There are simply too many factors and considerations to objectively assess this across all countries and all time periods.

But rulers that I admire and who I think did a fairly decent job are Henry II of England, Edward I, Edward IV, Alfonso VIII of Castile and Ferdinand & Isabella of Spain.

Ok,if the factor was long term legacy,who would you pick ?
But rulers that I admire and who I think did a fairly decent job are Henry II of England, Edward I, Edward IV, Alfonso VIII of Castile and Ferdinand & Isabella of Spain.

Obligatory
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kadak

If legacy is judged by books, research media and film, then I think Elizabeth I and Henry VIII take that crown (pardon the pun).
Original post by 41b
He was a repulsive heretic who was responsible for the ascendance of Buddhism and the sidelining of Masculine Hindu India. Without his demonic influence, India may well have been able to resist the Muslim invasions.

Gosh, yes, foolish old Ashoka, he should have realised that 800 years after his time Islam would arise and not only that, if he'd been half decent, he'd have realised that the Delhi Sultanate would arise 1400 years after his death. :teehee:

Take that Ashoka, you worthless piece of neo-Buddhist grand visionary imperial modernising and remarkable humanist for his day trash.
Reply 44
I am utterly gobsmacked that noone else has yet suggested Napoleon
There are simply too many factors and considerations to objectively assess this across all countries and all time periods.

Henry II, yes, clever, full of ambition and energy - owed a lot to Eleanor though, despite his terrible treatment of her most of the time.

Edward I - ruthless and imperialistic, seems to have been vain but tough.

Edward IV - very effective at fighting but also a bit of a collector and quite a good ruler - will give you that one up to a point, although generally the country was a chaotic mess under his rule.

Ferdinand / Isabella - fairly horrible oppressive people, persecutors of the Jews and other foreigners who both made their country a superpower but also sowed the seeds of its later long stagnation and decline due to obsessive religiosity and the encouragement of placing all wealth in the hands of a corrupt aristocratic class.
Reply 46
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Gosh, yes, foolish old Ashoka, he should have realised that 800 years after his time Islam would arise and not only that, if he'd been half decent, he'd have realised that the Delhi Sultanate would arise 1400 years after his death. :teehee:

Take that Ashoka, you worthless piece of neo-Buddhist grand visionary imperial modernising and remarkable humanist for his day trash.

:blah:
Original post by Fenice

Indeed, if we are talking one-man rulers who both gained territory and also achieved wider goals, he has surely to be near the top of the list, if not right at the top.

In modern times, I would suggest FDR, he took the US from being an isolationist, depressed and inward-looking half-power to global dominance, defeated two great enemies and brilliantly inspired the country and the world on a moral level.
Reply 48
Original post by Fenice

Because France was smaller when he abdicated than when he took power.
What happened to Gorbachev? :K:
Reply 50
Before I get any hate, I'm not saying the following person was a good person and yes, everything he did was wrong!!

But successful leader, in my opinion, would have to be Hitler. He rose and climbed the ladder and got an entire nation behind him for his cause (which was disgusting just to add) but led and ruled many people and even started WW2!!! Just one man and his ideology and how he wanted the world to be like, he saw his vision and tried to make it happen and Ngl he nearly did succeed! So yep successful ruler even though he was a dictator and a ****! :redface:

This legend tbh... Look at him, does it look like this man could do anything wrong?
Reply 52
Original post by ZuluK
Before I get any hate, I'm not saying the following person was a good person and yes, everything he did was wrong!!

But successful leader, in my opinion, would have to be Hitler. He rose and climbed the ladder and got an entire nation behind him for his cause (which was disgusting just to add) but led and ruled many people and even started WW2!!! Just one man and his ideology and how he wanted the world to be like, he saw his vision and tried to make it happen and Ngl he nearly did succeed! So yep successful ruler even though he was a dictator and a ****! :redface:

But during his reign Germany also got destroyed by the allies and his legacy was a divided and weakened Germany.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Daenerys Targaryen (Khaleesi), obviously.
Original post by Kadak

Genghis Khan.
Legacy is still around today-
"
~10% of the men who reside within the borders of the Mongol Empire as it was at the death of Genghis Khan may carry his Y chromosome, and so ~0.5% of men in the world, about 16 million individuals alive today, do so.
"

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/1-in-200-men-direct-descendants-of-genghis-khan/

Very advanced Kingdom, nearly unstoppable.
Emperor Justinian of the Byzantine Empire
Nigel Farage :colone:
More of a general, but Sun Tzu is bae
Original post by Krokodilo
Daenerys Targaryen (Khaleesi), obviously.

That's Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen. The first of her name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons, to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending