The Student Room Group

230+ hours of driving lessons and I still haven't passed

I had 200+ driving lessons since May 2014 and I still haven't passed. I passed my theory on October 2015 but a month later I failed my first test with 4 majors and 10 minors. 3 months later I failed the second test for clipping the curb but otherwise I wouldn't passed with 4 minors. 2 and half months later I failed the third time due to the examiner slamming the breaks as I made the right turn but I thought the oncoming black BMW was still far out then I somehow stupidly have misleading signal.

I haven't had a driving lesson ever since then 2 months ago. I've tired looking for test dates but they aren't any for a close as 4 months.

I need an honest answer is having 230+ plus hours of driving lesson is above average amount of hours you need? I do have s mild form of autism and I often let the nerves get better of me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamierobinson94
I had 200+ driving lessons since May 2014 and I still haven't passed. I passed my theory on October 2015 but a month later I failed my first test with 4 majors and 10 minors. 3 months later I failed the second test for clipping the curb but otherwise I wouldn't passed with 4 minors. 2 and half months later I failed the third time due to the examiner slamming the breaks as I made the right turn but I thought the oncoming black BMW was still far out then I somehow stupidly have misleading signal.

I haven't had a driving lesson ever since then 2 months ago. I've tired looking for test dates but they aren't any for a close as 4 months.

I need an honest answer is having 230+ plus hours of driving lesson is above average amount of hours you need?

Yes it is much more than most people have. But it doesn't matter and there's nothing you can do about it now. Just focus on making sure you pass the next one so you wont need anymore lessons. Try and identify areas you are weak on, and make a conscious effort in each of your lessons to not make those mistakes.
This^
Original post by HopelessMedic
Yes it is much more than most people have. But it doesn't matter and there's nothing you can do about it now. Just focus on making sure you pass the next one so you wont need anymore lessons. Try and identify areas you are weak on, and make a conscious effort in each of your lessons to not make those mistakes.

I usually perform very well in my lessons according to my driving instructor he even said to that one of his pupils who's nowhere near as good as I am pass his test first time. I do really well in my lessons but I'm not the same when it comes to tests.
I usually perform very well in my lessons according to my driving instructor he even said to that one of his pupils who's nowhere near as good as I am pass his test first time. I do really well in my lessons but I'm not the same when it comes to tests.

Yeh I know what you mean, tests are always more difficult. But the more practice you have, then the les nervous you should, technically, be in the test. Maybe ask your instructor to do some mock tests with you or even with other instructors so that you get more comfortable with the test format.
Would it be worth seeing your doctor and see if they can prescribe something for nerves, beta blockers perhaps?

I had a student who suffered from nerves on their test, after being prescribed beta blockers they passed their test with just 2 driving faults. May be a placebo effect but it worked for them, so maybe worth thinking about.

Don't stress yourself out by measuring yourself against other people! I know a really intelligent, educated girl who has taken her test 7 times and still hasn't passed. I also know loads of people from school who can barely write but passed first time. Driving is just one of those things. Don't beat yourself up, just take your time. Just keep driving around until the mechanisms become more and more second nature. When you get flustered it's hard to think clearly, so persevere and get as comfortable as you can in the car. Give it a good few months, then start thinking about retaking. The most important thing to do is to keep driving and work on that confidence.
I have no problem driving manual so I'll never switching
Original post by SophiaNeuning
Don't stress yourself out by measuring yourself against other people! I know a really intelligent, educated girl who has taken her test 7 times and still hasn't passed. I also know loads of people from school who can barely write but passed first time. Driving is just one of those things. Don't beat yourself up, just take your time. Just keep driving around until the mechanisms become more and more second nature. When you get flustered it's hard to think clearly, so persevere and get as comfortable as you can in the car. Give it a good few months, then start thinking about retaking. The most important thing to do is to keep driving and work on that confidence.

I have the tendency to compare myself to others like I'm 21 and there are 17 years old passing way quicker than myself. Don't get me wrong I'll refuse to give up I'll carry on taking tests until I pass which will hopefully happen eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending