The Student Room Group

cambridge natural science (physical)

I am a year 12 student and have decided to read a natural science (physical) degree at Cambridge University.I want to ask that do I have a chance to get in if I haven't taken chemistry in my as/a-level at all?
Original post by tyt10225
I am a year 12 student and have decided to read a natural science (physical) degree at Cambridge University.I want to ask that do I have a chance to get in if I haven't taken chemistry in my as/a-level at all?

What A-levels are you taking?
Reply 2
Original post by Unkempt_One
What A-levels are you taking?

I am currently studying Maths Further Maths Physics and Econ
I am currently studying Maths Further Maths Physics and Econ

Yep that's fine. A few modules might have A Level Chemistry as prerequisites but you definitely can get into the NatSci course with those A Levels.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
Yep that's fine. A few modules might have A Level Chemistry as prerequisites but you definitely can get into the NatSci course with those A Levels.

What i was worried about is someone told me that some chemistry question will be asked during the interview and it is very hard
btw thanks for answering!
What i was worried about is someone told me that some chemistry question will be asked during the interview and it is very hard

The interview is a test of how you think not how much you know so they shouldn't ask you any questions that requires knowledge from A Level Chemistry if you've not studied it (although that doesn't necessarily mean that Chemistry won't come up). The interview also isn't supposed to be you giving one long internal monologue so if you don't know something that's needed to answer a question, just ask.
Everything Plagioclase said is correct. That's a perfect combination for Physical NatSci.
Reply 7

At my interview the test had a maths and chemistry section but no physics section, so I felt like I was at a disadvantage as I was told to leave the chemistry quesitons, giving me less chance to show my ability.

My actual interview was also cut short because I was not able to answer the chemistry question as I didn't take it at a-level. However I was *assured* that I would not be at a disadvantage through not taking a-level chemistry.
Reply 8
Original post by Alex621
At my interview the test had a maths and chemistry section but no physics section, so I felt like I was at a disadvantage as I was told to leave the chemistry quesitons, giving me less chance to show my ability.

My actual interview was also cut short because I was not able to answer the chemistry question as I didn't take it at a-level. However I was *assured* that I would not be at a disadvantage through not taking a-level chemistry.

we are certainly at a disadvantage .By the way,do u get the offer?
Reply 9
we are certainly at a disadvantage .By the way,do u get the offer?

No I didn't. I applied to King's College, and I'd recommend contacting the colleges that interest you, to ask them how they feel about applicants not having chemistry, I think there were one or two (St John's was possibly one of them but I'm not sure) who strongly advise applicants to take chemistry but will still consider you if you don't do it.
Hey i am a year 12 student and have decided to read a natural science (physical) degree at Cambridge University.I didnt take chemistry, my alevel options were maths, biology, physics, as further maths and economics. Would that be fine
Original post by Plagioclase

Can I get into Phys NatSci with Bio Chem and Maths? Intend to study Maths, Material science, Geology and Chemistry..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending