The Student Room Group

Should I do Pharmacy

In Year 11 when I submitted my Sixth Form application I originally put down Biology and Chemistry, but in September, I changed Chemistry to Literature; and I don't do any other science (or maths) except for bio.

I thought I always wanted to do Biomedical or Health Science (a lot of unis only require Biology) and be a scientist such as a haematologist, but I've been reconsidering and looking into being a Pharmacist which certainly interests me.

I would have to do a foundation year which are offered at University of East Anglia, Keele and Kingston; I think Durham does one as well?

Is it worth doing the foundation year? How competitive will it be compared to applying to bio med or healthcare sci? I understand it is £9,000 p/yr and Pharmacy is a 4 year degree. How much is it for the 'year 0'? Anything else I should know?

OR Would it be easier to take a gap year and study A Level Chemistry at a college and then apply for regular MPharm? This would cost £500.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by maggiedavies
In Year 11 when I submitted my Sixth Form application I originally put down Biology and Chemistry, but in September, I changed Chemistry to Literature; and I don't do any other science (or maths) except for bio.

I thought I always wanted to do Biomedical or Health Science (a lot of unis only require Biology) and be a scientist such as a haematologist, but I've been reconsidering and looking into being a Pharmacist which certainly interests me.

I would have to do a foundation year which are offered at University of East Anglia, Keele and Kingston; I think Durham does one as well?

Is it worth doing the foundation year? How competitive will it be compared to applying to bio med or healthcare sci? I understand it is £9,000 p/yr and Pharmacy is a 4 year degree. How much is it for the 'year 0'? Anything else I should know?

OR Would it be easier to take a gap year and study A Level Chemistry at a college and then apply for regular MPharm? This would cost £500.

Why not pursue the healthcare/boomed path? I've been seeing a lot of posts about how pharmacy as a career is on the stark decline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Why not pursue the healthcare/boomed path? I've been seeing a lot of posts about how pharmacy as a career is on the stark decline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you not think that working in a lab is a bit repetitive?
Whereas with pharmacy, you get the beauty of science mixed with helping others, patient advice/care, retail, etc.
Do you not think that working in a lab is a bit repetitive?
Whereas with pharmacy, you get the beauty of science mixed with helping others, patient advice/care, retail, etc.

Every job is repetitive, it's a matter of whether you like the type of work being done or not. You'll of course get bored of prescribing the same medicine over and over again and answering the same questions over and over again.

Hi

A Foundation Year progressing to a 4 year MPharm at Keele is certainly possible. If you are eligible, a Student Loan should be available for the duration of your course, provided you apply and enrol onto the 5-year Foundation to MPharm course, which is currently "Pharmacy (MPharm) with Foundation Year: B231"
Fees for the Foundation Year are the same as Undergraduate Fees - £9,000 per year.
Hope this helps. If you want to find out more, there's lots of info on our website http://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/
Thanks
Sam - Digital Team
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Keele University
Hi

A Foundation Year progressing to a 4 year MPharm at Keele is certainly possible. If you are eligible, a Student Loan should be available for the duration of your course, provided you apply and enrol onto the 5-year Foundation to MPharm course, which is currently "Pharmacy (MPharm) with Foundation Year: B231"
Fees for the Foundation Year are the same as Undergraduate Fees - £9,000 per year.
Hope this helps. If you want to find out more, there's lots of info on our website http://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/
Thanks
Sam - Digital Team

Thank you Sam! How do I find out if I am eligible for a student loan?
Thank you Sam! How do I find out if I am eligible for a student loan?

Hi

If you have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies it will give you a good idea of who qualifies for Student Finance. It depends on your individual circumstances and the course.

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Sam
Original post by Keele University
Hi

If you have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies it will give you a good idea of who qualifies for Student Finance. It depends on your individual circumstances and the course.

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Sam

So will the student loan cover the foundation year + the regular 4 year MPharm?
Reply 8
Seriously DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I am currently in my 3rd year studying pharmacy, the competition for pre reg places is fierce.
There are already too many pharmacy students for a sector that is facing major cuts.
If I knew 2 years ago, what I know now, I would have transferred into a different degree.
I don't know if it is just my uni or all of them, but they are also making the course harder and harder every year, introducing new extra exams with 70% pass marks that weren't necessary for the year above us etc.

Having said all this it is entirely up to you, but personally I wish I could go back in time and tell my 18 year old self to something much more enjoyable.
Original post by Pav94an
Seriously DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I am currently in my 3rd year studying pharmacy, the competition for pre reg places is fierce.
There are already too many pharmacy students for a sector that is facing major cuts.
If I knew 2 years ago, what I know now, I would have transferred into a different degree.
I don't know if it is just my uni or all of them, but they are also making the course harder and harder every year, introducing new extra exams with 70% pass marks that weren't necessary for the year above us etc.

Having said all this it is entirely up to you, but personally I wish I could go back in time and tell my 18 year old self to something much more enjoyable.

Funny enough my friend who has just finished her Pharmacy degree said the same thing. I think I might go into Biomedical Science. :smile:
Funny enough my friend who has just finished her Pharmacy degree said the same thing. I think I might go into Biomedical Science. :smile:

Yes!

I know people who didn't make it into 2nd or 3rd year pharmacy and transferred into Biomed, and they are so much happier.
I'm in my 3rd year already, so I will stick with pharmacy and get the qualifaction now. But i am seriously thinking about doing something different after.
If I was in 1st/2nd year I would seriously consider doing Biomed aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending