The Student Room Group

Who was the most successful ruler in history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelpusPleasus
Genghis Khan.
Legacy is still around today-
"
~10% of the men who reside within the borders of the Mongol Empire as it was at the death of Genghis Khan may carry his Y chromosome, and so ~0.5% of men in the world, about 16 million individuals alive today, do so.
"

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/1-in-200-men-direct-descendants-of-genghis-khan/

Very advanced Kingdom, nearly unstoppable.

Sorry but I dont believe that as the Mongols didn`t have any kind of legacy in the same way the Greeks or Romans did.Sure,they were good at militarily conquering nations,but they did not have any thriving culture of their own.
Original post by Kadak
Sorry but I dont believe that as the Mongols didn`t have any kind of legacy in the same way the Greeks or Romans did.Sure,they were good at militarily conquering nations,but they did not have any thriving culture of their own.

Their Culture was based on War and Conquest? They spread it and destroyed other cultures. Surely that is a Legacy- affecting the European Crusader states and Islamic World and producing an unstoppable force which conquered a vast distance.
John F. Kennedy , The space race was awesome.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Original post by Jonsmith98
John F. Kennedy , The space race was awesome.
I too thought about John F Kennedy because of the Space Race and what he did for racial equality in America but he was only president for 3 years
Original post by emobambam
I too thought about John F Kennedy because of the Space Race and what he did for racial equality in America but he was only president for 3 years

I agree, while I can assess that he probably wasn't the most " successful" leader, his work has made a profound impact on a lot of people including myself. So I threw his name in for good measure, It just a shame his presidency was unfortunately ummm cut short?
Darth Vader.
Original post by oShahpo
Darth Vader.

Darth Vader wasn't a ruler, his Master Emperor Palpatine was.
Vader was an agent of The Emperor and had ultimate control of everything in and possible situation. He was outside the military and ruling body.
Original post by Jonsmith98
I agree, while I can assess that he probably wasn't the most " successful" leader, his work has made a profound impact on a lot of people including myself. So I threw his name in for good measure, It just a shame his presidency was unfortunately ummm cut short?
yes we can only imagine what he could have done with another 4 years. But because of him we know so much more about our world and the universe.
Umar Ibn Al-Khattab is a notable mention
Original post by Kadak
Ok,if the factor was long term legacy,who would you pick ?

That's still hard though because it doesn't necessarily make someone a good ruler. Henry VIII is probably the most famous of all English monarchs and his legacy on the country's religion is still visible, yet he wasn't a particularly successful ruler.
Reply 71
Original post by Fullofsurprises
She was very good at the crucial moment, when the Armada came in and domestically she tried to calm down the fervent religious in-fighting that was the norm in that period. However, I don't think she really did a lot beyond that, she mainly concentrated on killing perceived enemies (a bit less than her predecessors, but she was still quite the murderer), applying toxic chemicals to her skin and tormenting her female relatives.

True. I think her behaviour towards Mary Queen of Scots and Lettice Knollys was horrible.
Original post by 34908seikj
That's Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen. The first of her name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons, to you.

Sorry, Hand, I couldn't afford a large enough piece of e-parchment.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
That's still hard though because it doesn't necessarily make someone a good ruler. Henry VIII is probably the most famous of all English monarchs and his legacy on the country's religion is still visible, yet he wasn't a particularly successful ruler.

Ah,alright .Out of interest ,since the number of members of the Church of England declines,does that mean Henry VIII legacy/influence declines too ?
Muhammad.

After him Genghis Khan.
Original post by Kadak

Enforcing your genetic legacy as the Mongols did is so much more impressive than what the Greeks did, if the Greeks didn't make the discoveries they did, someone else would have done that, it means very little.
Original post by Xelfrost

This legend tbh... Look at him, does it look like this man could do anything wrong?

This made me laugh, he looks camp as **** grinning like a chesire cat
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Enforcing your genetic legacy as the Mongols did is so much more impressive than what the Greeks did, if the Greeks didn't make the discoveries they did, someone else would have done that, it means very little.

Spreading your genes doesnt require any spectucular effort compared to making great contributions to civilisations .Yes someone else would have done it,but it might have been in ten million years etc. there is no time limit .We might still be living in caves for all I care.
The fact someone else would have done it doesnt take away from the achievement.
Reply 78
Original post by Grand High Witch
I agree, though the defeat of the Spanish Armada was mostly based on luck rather than pure military prowess.

That isn't entirely true, the Spanish ships were wholly unsuited to battle with the English ships. The armada was doomed from the offset, bad weather or not.
Cyrus the great by a mile

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Elizabeth I

She literally lost Calais after Cateau Cambresis, her rule ended in a stagnant war with the world's strongest power and with a significant rebellion in a major province, very successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending