The Student Room Group

Depression over unrequited love

I have had strong feelings for a guy for just under 6 months now. The thing is, he WAS interested in me, twice, but says he isn't anymore, and I think i'm finding that harder than if he'd never been interested, and we've slept together a few times..

I just want to forget him, even no contact doesn't work, and he sometimes starts conversations with me too.
I liked him as soon as I met him, and so did he (as he told my friend I was nice and wanted to get to know me more!) We ended up talking on fb, admitted we liked each other, and then we had sex.
He said he liked me in the beginning, but then he saw I was more into him than he was into me/was depressed at the time, and so he backed off a little. plus he was moving abroad in a couple of months so says he didn't want anything.
Then we stayed in contact as friends, and I always liked him but felt a bit better ,started to be into other people etc. And then he started being into me again.. but he didn't want a relationship, he just wanted us to see each other but nothing serious since he was leaving.
I said yes, but then I changed my mind a bit later; worried that i'd become too attached and that it'd be hard, and he understood. Plus he'd told me he didn't have feelings, but he was attracted.

Then a few days later, I went on a date with someoen else and ended up telling him. he was jealous, and asked why i'd told him that, and it had made him realised he really liked me. he said he wanted to spend some time with me before he left as he'd regret it otherwise.

He told me he really liked me a lot.
We ended up seeing each other for a short time, which was lovely, but then it got closer to him moving abroad and I found myself falling in love. And then one day we were about to have sex, and then he just sort of froze and said he couldn't, and then I told him later that I didn't want to anymore as I was really falling for him and I wanted a relationship, and he said that he'd noticed I was getting attached and he froze, and he didn't want to do that anymore either.

That was two months ago, and I'm still not over him. We tried to be friends, but it was quite awkward, and we carried on speaking on fb, and he sometimes really flirted with me a lot, and we met up a couple of times as friends but nothing happened.

I just asked him why he wouldn't have a relationship with me if he liked me, and he ended up saying that he hadn't had a connection with me, he felt that I had everything ging for me, I was so nice, funny, intelligent and really attractive but I was more 'quiet and calm' than him and he just felt like it 'wouldn't work'.

He said he 'saw I was getting too attached' and he freaked out, and he said he always knew I was more into him than he was to me, so he didn't want to be with me. Then he admitted he was stll in love with his ex (who he broke up with 2 years ago) and he hadn't really wanted a girlfriend since her.

He's moved quite far away anyway, but it hurts me all the time. It's the fact that he'd been interested in me and then changed his mind twice. I told him that I found it irrational and I just didn't understnad, and he said that he's just indecisive.

So i guess that now he has no interest at all in me. I think about him all the time, and as I said he sometmes begins conversations online; we talk for hours about everything and it's so hard. I asked him why he was contuining to be flirty (saying I have a hot body etc.) and he's stopepd that now.

I am really depressed and have been for a while; I don't enjoy things anymore and I am obsessively checking whether he's been online; whether girls have posted anything on his wall etc.

I cannot understand why he changed his mind so much. It's true I did make it known that I was very into him, but that'sjust hte way I am; I think life is too short to play games and it's not like I said I was in love and wanted to marry him, but I did tell him I liked him a lot.. .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry for the long post; I know people will tell me it takes time. But how on earth can somebody like me, then not like me (he said 4 months ago to my friend that he only liked me as a friend!) then like me again, then not like me! It just doesn't make any sense and I feel like I'll never understand. I can't help taking it personally; that I must havedone something wrong...
Reply 2
He keeps telling me that I'll meet someone better than him. He's just confusing; a few weeks ago I'd posted on my facebook page that I'd been waiting along time a t the Drs, and he messaged me asking if I was ok, was I ill etc.
I went on a date with another guy not long ago and during a conversation about all this I ended up telling him, to show that I was trying to move on, and he asked if i'd slept with this guy. :s
My friend (one of his best friends!) says I should never speak to him again; he's really led me on and messed me about. In fact, all ofmy friends are saying he's not been very good with me at all and I deserve way better, but I just cannot see that. I just feel like he lied to me; saying that he didn't want a relationship only because he was going abroad, when in fact it was because he was just not into me...
Reply 3
bump
Original post by Anonymous
bump

Heyy, sorry about your situation atm and that you haven't had any replies yet. I could go on but I doubt you'd want a long reply :redface: anyway, the main thing is that love can be a very confusing thing. I'm no expert in this topic but I think it's better to hold onto what you loved about someone than to act upon what you didn't like. This guy does seem reasonable in his decisions to break it off if he genuinely meant everything he told you (you being able to have better and so forth). However, his on and off interest in you suggests to me he's still in love with you, or is confused about whether he is in love with you or not. This could be due to a fear of what the future may bring in addition to the feelings he still holds for his ex.
As I said, I'm no expert at this. I'd say the best thing to do now is try to get involved in your key interests and hobbies, living according to your normal routine. Do you have any interests that can involve expressing yourself? I find that helps a lot when I'm not feeling great. The main thing is being able to make the best of the situation at hand. As you are still in love with this guy but he not as much, I'd say you should try to express yourself for the time being.
I hope I haven't missed anything...
Feel free to PM if you'd like to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Matrix123
Heyy, sorry about your situation atm and that you haven't had any replies yet. I could go on but I doubt you'd want a long reply :redface: anyway, the main thing is that love can be a very confusing thing. I'm no expert in this topic but I think it's better to hold onto what you loved about someone than to act upon what you didn't like. This guy does seem reasonable in his decisions to break it off if he genuinely meant everything he told you (you being able to have better and so forth). However, his on and off interest in you suggests to me he's still in love with you, or is confused about whether he is in love with you or not. This could be due to a fear of what the future may bring in addition to the feelings he still holds for his ex.
As I said, I'm no expert at this. I'd say the best thing to do now is try to get involved in your key interests and hobbies, living according to your normal routine. Do you have any interests that can involve expressing yourself? I find that helps a lot when I'm not feeling great. The main thing is being able to make the best of the situation at hand. As you are still in love with this guy but he not as much, I'd say you should try to express yourself for the time being.
I hope I haven't missed anything...
Feel free to PM if you'd like to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi, thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it! :smile:

I understand what you're saying.. it may well because he still has feelings. He broke up with her 2 years ago and hasn't been out with anyone else since,; I'd been the only girl for a while. He says he doesnt want to go out with anyone at all for the moment, and has been saying that for the last few months.

He said he hasn't really fallen for anyone since his ex either...

I just can't understand how somebody can be so indecisive. Now, he's quite cold towards me when we chat online; he's polite but no more.

I will try my best to keep busy.. it's just so confusing, and so is he.
hi, thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it! :smile:

I understand what you're saying.. it may well because he still has feelings. He broke up with her 2 years ago and hasn't been out with anyone else since,; I'd been the only girl for a while. He says he doesnt want to go out with anyone at all for the moment, and has been saying that for the last few months.

He said he hasn't really fallen for anyone since his ex either...

I just can't understand how somebody can be so indecisive. Now, he's quite cold towards me when we chat online; he's polite but no more.

I will try my best to keep busy.. it's just so confusing, and so is he.

No worries :h:

2 years is a long time. The way I see it though, he may have still had feelings for his, but found you attractive, hoped he could move on with you, maybe had feelings for both you and the ex. So, he might just be trying to work things out before hurting you any more by all the confusion. Of course, there are many reasons for his behaviour but I'd guess at that. I suppose he could also be afraid of his future with you (like being scared the relationship would end like it did with his ex.) The idea of him still having feelings could also possibly be an excuse for him to step back and take another look at things.

He does seem like quite a confusing person, but probably because he's confused himself. I know this is what everyone else has said, but if you give it a bit of time whilst keeping busy, this should be bit easier to deal with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for the long post; I know people will tell me it takes time. But how on earth can somebody like me, then not like me (he said 4 months ago to my friend that he only liked me as a friend!) then like me again, then not like me! It just doesn't make any sense and I feel like I'll never understand. I can't help taking it personally; that I must havedone something wrong...

It does happen OP and the reverse can happen as well.

People are strange and complicated creatures who rarely know what we actually want from life. And no it doesnt make sense.

You havent done anything wrong - at all.

If hes still in love with his ex then tbf, its not a bedrock for a sound relationship and hes doing the right thing in pulling back from you.

What you need to do is stop fantasising - we've all been there, making up the happy lttle images of getting with him, being with him, doing things together etc etc. Develop the discipline of every time youre thinking of him - think of something else instead. Get on with your life Its not easy and it takes time.
Reply 8
Thanks :smile: It could be that yeah... he had told me he'd stopped being in love with his ex when he met me at the start of this year, but then just over a week ago he admitted that he was still into her... but said he'd never go out with her again, then said he didn't want to talk about it.

It could be yeah! But he also said he 'hadn't had that connection with me', even though we get on extremely well ,spend hours talking etc. but at the same time we haven't seen each other much in person really, and he's left now.. :frown:

I just think that he'd know early on if he hadn't had the connection, not 5 months later..

Plus, he said that he didn't want to go out with me even to try, because he saw that I was more into him than he was to me and he 'panicked' and wasn't ready.

So i guess that's my fault, but oh well..

I'll try my best to keep busy :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by silverbolt
It does happen OP and the reverse can happen as well.

People are strange and complicated creatures who rarely know what we actually want from life. And no it doesnt make sense.

You havent done anything wrong - at all.

If hes still in love with his ex then tbf, its not a bedrock for a sound relationship and hes doing the right thing in pulling back from you.

What you need to do is stop fantasising - we've all been there, making up the happy lttle images of getting with him, being with him, doing things together etc etc. Develop the discipline of every time youre thinking of him - think of something else instead. Get on with your life Its not easy and it takes time.

Thanks, it's reassuring to hear that. I keep blaming myself for being too keen on him at the start.. It's not like I wanted a serious relationship from day 1, but I really fell for him and I made it known... plus, he'd had a lot of problems just after that and he said he was thinking of moving back abroad that same week, so I was upset to hear that and told him so...

you are right...

well, he just said he was a bit depressed at the time and then realised he could only see me as a friend, and again has more recently said that he really does like me, and finds me very attractive, but sees me more as a friend...

it's true I keep fantasising about what could have been, and I need to stop, I'll try my best :smile:
Thanks :smile: It could be that yeah... he had told me he'd stopped being in love with his ex when he met me at the start of this year, but then just over a week ago he admitted that he was still into her... but said he'd never go out with her again, then said he didn't want to talk about it.

It could be yeah! But he also said he 'hadn't had that connection with me', even though we get on extremely well ,spend hours talking etc. but at the same time we haven't seen each other much in person really, and he's left now.. :frown:

I just think that he'd know early on if he hadn't had the connection, not 5 months later..

Plus, he said that he didn't want to go out with me even to try, because he saw that I was more into him than he was to me and he 'panicked' and wasn't ready.

So i guess that's my fault, but oh well..

I'll try my best to keep busy :smile:

Yeah, I guess he was maybe forcing himself into the relationship a bit too much. Well, everyone gets confused and makes mistakes but it's what you choose to do now and why you do it that counts :wink:

Good good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I guess he was maybe forcing himself into the relationship a bit too much. Well, everyone gets confused and makes mistakes but it's what you choose to do now and why you do it that counts :wink:

Good good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Into the thing he had with me you mean? Yeah.. I guess it's just that after all he realised he just didn't like me enough, and that's all there is to it :frown: haha
Into the thing he had with me you mean? Yeah.. I guess it's just that after all he realised he just didn't like me enough, and that's all there is to it :frown: haha

Into the relationship in general - like him being attracted but not so much as to have a longer relationship so he tried to keep it going despite this. If this is the case, then it's probably best to try to forget about him for the most part, as much as I appreciate how difficult that will be. Have you tried contacting him to ask why he entered the relationship if he still had feelings for his ex? That might help you to make better sense of this. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just preserve some dignity and get rid. I don't understand why you want to stick around after clearly not being first choice and being friends is the ultimate beta thing. Better to just wish each other good luck and moved on like nothing happened
Original post by neal95
Just preserve some dignity and get rid. I don't understand why you want to stick around after clearly not being first choice and being friends is the ultimate beta thing. Better to just wish each other good luck and moved on like nothing happened

Yeah, I mean the thing is he had told me that he was over his ex- but then admitted just last week that he wasn't, so I believed him. But, she lives in another country, they broke up 2 years ago and haven't even seen each other so I don't know how he can still be in love, but I guess it happens..

but yeah, I'm trying my best to move on, and hopefully will soon :0
Into the relationship in general - like him being attracted but not so much as to have a longer relationship so he tried to keep it going despite this. If this is the case, then it's probably best to try to forget about him for the most part, as much as I appreciate how difficult that will be. Have you tried contacting him to ask why he entered the relationship if he still had feelings for his ex? That might help you to make better sense of this. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, he just told me several times that he 'liked me'..and whilst I didn't expect him to be in love, he told me he was interested and really liked me. Then last week he told me he was 'attracted to me but nothing more...'. Despite having earlier told me that he liked me..

I had always suspected that it was something to do with his ex, I mean he told me that he'd had trouble falling for anyone else since her, and hadn't felt like going out with anyone else since her...
I think him asking me if i'd slept with my date and stuff also confuses me; not sure why he'd be intetrested... and also him gettng angry because I went on a date with another guy..
yeah, he just told me several times that he 'liked me'..and whilst I didn't expect him to be in love, he told me he was interested and really liked me. Then last week he told me he was 'attracted to me but nothing more...'. Despite having earlier told me that he liked me..

I had always suspected that it was something to do with his ex, I mean he told me that he'd had trouble falling for anyone else since her, and hadn't felt like going out with anyone else since her...

OK, maybe it was just errors on his part then, knowing you liked him and using that to his advantage? That sounds awful the way I put it but I'm sure he had his reasons.
Just make sure you don't keep your emotions bottled up inside. Not to sound patronising, but I know from experience how bad that is and still do it :redface:
(I'd also like to say sorry for seeming to drag this on so much - in case if you didn't feel like talking about it much or feel like it's solved)

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, maybe it was just errors on his part then, knowing you liked him and using that to his advantage? That sounds awful the way I put it but I'm sure he had his reasons.
Just make sure you don't keep your emotions bottled up inside. Not to sound patronising, but I know from experience how bad that is and still do it :redface:
(I'd also like to say sorry for seeming to drag this on so much - in case if you didn't feel like talking about it much or feel like it's solved)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it could be that; his good friend actually told me he possibly took advantage of the fact that I liked him in order to sleep with me. Even the very first time we slept together, he knew at that point that I wanted to have a relationship.

After each time we'd slept together, he'd tell me a couple of days later that we 'shouldn't have done it'..

I think I will never really understand; I'm just mad at him for telling me several times that he liked me if he didn't really mean it.

You are right, I had a bit of a go at him to be fair; there was a lot of resentment on my part and I told him so. I let it all out and I got an apology from him for hurting me, which was good.

And no don't apologise at all, you have helped me so much with this advice, I really appreciate it, thank you. :smile:
Yeah, it could be that; his good friend actually told me he possibly took advantage of the fact that I liked him in order to sleep with me. Even the very first time we slept together, he knew at that point that I wanted to have a relationship.

After each time we'd slept together, he'd tell me a couple of days later that we 'shouldn't have done it'..

I think I will never really understand; I'm just mad at him for telling me several times that he liked me if he didn't really mean it.

You are right, I had a bit of a go at him to be fair; there was a lot of resentment on my part and I told him so. I let it all out and I got an apology from him for hurting me, which was good.

And no don't apologise at all, you have helped me so much with this advice, I really appreciate it, thank you. :smile:

I see. Yeah, you definitely have a right to feel mad at him. Good on you for telling him how you felt and getting that apology:yep:
Aww, I'm glad to have been of some help. No worries :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending