The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing Derby Mar 2017

Hi there,

I finally got a response from UoD and am pleased to say I was given an unconditional offer to start adult nursing in Mar 2017. If anybody else is starting the same course or uni then please get in touch. We can chit chat before we start!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I'm hoping to see if I can get a place on their second year. Do you know at all how many placements you have to do each year or how their timetabling is. I've tried to ask the uni, but they just tell me to look on their website
Hi there, it's funny you asked that because I've been trying to find out the same info but I'm struggling, I couldn't find it on the website, if I find out ill message you rightaway. If you find out then please let me know too. How come you starting second year, have you done your first year at another uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by KingLhasaApso
Hi there, it's funny you asked that because I've been trying to find out the same info but I'm struggling, I couldn't find it on the website, if I find out ill message you rightaway. If you find out then please let me know too. How come you starting second year, have you done your first year at another uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, hoping to move closer to home now though as the costs are way too high. Haven't got a place yet, haven't even sent the application off! But yeah, I really want to know the placement structure and how long they are. At my current uni they're quite short and we have 3-4 placements each year. I'm hoping for fewer placements though.
What are the placements like? Also can you recommend any good books to read before starting the degree please, anything that me a head start. Thanks
I can tell you that the degree at Derby is weighted 50 percent clinical placement and 50 percent coursework.
If I've interpreted it right, so I'm guessing its placement intensive.
Reply 5
What are the placements like? Also can you recommend any good books to read before starting the degree please, anything that me a head start. Thanks
I can tell you that the degree at Derby is weighted 50 percent clinical placement and 50 percent coursework.
If I've interpreted it right, so I'm guessing its placement intensive.

I've really enjoyed my placements so far, but they are very intensive, you can't swim your way through them. It's not worth investing in any books as the library should have them and reading up on the human body is always a good idea. All nursing courses are 50% placement and 50% theory. Derby aren't very specific about the placements, whether they're integrated or block or how long they are, which would be a bonus.

I've sent my application off, so just hoping my 1st year modules fit and they have enough places. Why have you applied or March entry and not Sept entry, King?
Thanks for the advice, yes I want to know more about the structure, it would help me plan better as I have a child starting secondary this year. I did originally apply for September but at the interview they told us September was in fact full so we were actually interviewing for March 17.
However they did say we may still get Sep starts as it is only full based on offers and they have made and they will likely have places if people decide not to go to Derby or don't meet expected grades. Im just grateful for a place tbh and pleased I made before bursary cuts as I could do without a second student loan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I mentor Derby Uni students. Your placements follow the hub and spoke placement format. You will be allocated a specific area for your hub placement. This means that you will be mainly based in that area for the year but split into 3 blocks. I believe it is something like 4 weeks for the first block, 5 weeks for the second block and 7 weeks for the 3rd block. In between you will have spoke placements which I think are between 2-4 weeks long. Your first and second year will be structured like this and so will your third until you hit management placement, then you will be allocated a new area.

I hope this helps.
Reply 8
Original post by ButterflyRN
Hi there,

I mentor Derby Uni students. Your placements follow the hub and spoke placement format. You will be allocated a specific area for your hub placement. This means that you will be mainly based in that area for the year but split into 3 blocks. I believe it is something like 4 weeks for the first block, 5 weeks for the second block and 7 weeks for the 3rd block. In between you will have spoke placements which I think are between 2-4 weeks long. Your first and second year will be structured like this and so will your third until you hit management placement, then you will be allocated a new area.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Butterfly! When you say we stay in our hub for the whole year, does that mean in one clinical/community area e.g. if your hub is gastro surgical, you do that throughout the year in each hub placement, and I assume spoke is different each time? Do you also know how many spokes they have

Thanks
Thanks Butterfly that's really helpful. What areas do we predominantly work in? Or do we cover them all over the course of the three years?
Can I asked what clinical area do you work in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vandiola
Thank you Butterfly! When you say we stay in our hub for the whole year, does that mean in one clinical/community area e.g. if your hub is gastro surgical, you do that throughout the year in each hub placement, and I assume spoke is different each time? Do you also know how many spokes they have

Thanks

Yes. For example your are allocated gastroenterology as your hub placement. You will return to it for the remainder of your hub placements. I think there are blocks of theory in between each hub placement. I think you do 2 spokes but I cannot be too sure. The spokes are different each time and can be totally different from your hub placement.

Thanks Butterfly that's really helpful. What areas do we predominantly work in? Or do we cover them all over the course of the three years?
Can I asked what clinical area do you work in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can be allocated literally any area from medicine, to surgery and community. It's completely random and you may cover lots of different areas.

I've just finished 4 years in medicine for the elderly, but I now work on the Frail and Elderly Assessment Team in a completely new role as a Co-Ordinator. I literally only started this job last Monday. Come and spend some time with me if you get allocated medicine for the elderly!! :biggrin:
Original post by ButterflyRN
Yes. For example your are allocated gastroenterology as your hub placement. You will return to it for the remainder of your hub placements. I think there are blocks of theory in between each hub placement. I think you do 2 spokes but I cannot be too sure. The spokes are different each time and can be totally different from your hub placement.

You can be allocated literally any area from medicine, to surgery and community. It's completely random and you may cover lots of different areas.

I've just finished 4 years in medicine for the elderly, but I now work on the Frail and Elderly Assessment Team in a completely new role as a Co-Ordinator. I literally only started this job last Monday. Come and spend some time with me if you get allocated medicine for the elderly!! :biggrin:

Ahh thank you, I hope I do get allocated meds for elderly at some point, the idea of working so many diverse areas does sounds exciting and tbh I cannot wait to start. The areas I imagine I may be interested in most are neuro, emergency, oncology and end of life but im guessing this may change once I experience the placements and I will discover an area I didnt realise existed and really enjoy it. :yes::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh thank you, I hope I do get allocated meds for elderly at some point, the idea of working so many diverse areas does sounds exciting and tbh I cannot wait to start. The areas I imagine I may be interested in most are neuro, emergency, oncology and end of life but im guessing this may change once I experience the placements and I will discover an area I didnt realise existed and really enjoy it. :yes::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You probably won't get neurology unless you get a placement in Nottingham but there is a neuro rehab ward at the community hospital and there is neurology outpatients. Our ED is lovely and so are the staff and I had a placement in oncology when I was a student and it was amazing! Medicine for the elderly is definitely interesting and you see a wide range of illnesses. It's a very complex and difficult area of nursing and medicine so even if you don't enjoy it you will definitely have learned a lot!
I have been invited to a selection day/interview next Friday so fingers crossed it goes well 😊 I applied for the March 2017 intake x
That's fab, the interview is really easing going it's more like an informal chat than a full interview, I did weeks of research, spent evenings getting my oh to mock interview me on loads o f different questions then I was only asked two. Good luck and let me know how you get on. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's fab, the interview is really easing going it's more like an informal chat than a full interview, I did weeks of research, spent evenings getting my oh to mock interview me on loads o f different questions then I was only asked two. Good luck and let me know how you get on. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for letting me know that I've been worrying about how it will be :smile: thanks I will do x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've been to my interview, I don't think it went well so I'm not confident about getting a place but it's my first one so I can take some positives from it x
Hi there,

How you doing? Try not to worry, im sure you were fine. What part do you feel went badly? I know this is a cliche but you probably did better than you think, I thought I'd done pants and it was my first interview and only interview as I can only study at derby. Where else have you applied and which uni is your first choice? Just so you know it took two and a half weeks to give me an answer but the admission member dealing with my app was away on leave for 10 days of that. It is horrible waiting though especially if its the uni you really want. Let me know how you get on.

Keep the faith x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

How you doing? Try not to worry, im sure you were fine. What part do you feel went badly? I know this is a cliche but you probably did better than you think, I thought I'd done pants and it was my first interview and only interview as I can only study at derby. Where else have you applied and which uni is your first choice? Just so you know it took two and a half weeks to give me an answer but the admission member dealing with my app was away on leave for 10 days of that. It is horrible waiting though especially if its the uni you really want. Let me know how you get on.

Keep the faith x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you that makes me feel better! It's the first one I have applied for but I will be applying to 5 others in October if I'm unsuccessful at Derby. So I can take some positives from the interview and at least I have a general idea of the interview format now. I don't think one part went really badly I just keep thinking of other things I could have said and a little worried about passing the tests x
I know exactly what you mean, it was the exams I was worried about! The questions really were quite easy but there were a few in the English, such as which is the correct spelling for the context and it was stuff I knew but started to doubt myself! And the maths when they said change mg to micrograms then to nanograms I had to totally guess that!! I was convinced my test grades were going to blow it for me. I left and was thinking exactly the same, thinking of stuff that I should have said and I just drove myself mad. I smoked about four ciggies on the way home and its only a 20 minute journey!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest