The Student Room Group

Will these A Levels be 'easy'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Ahh yeah I regret doing p&e but I dropped it before it got even harder at a2 :wink:
I hope you do enjoy the subjects that you're doing! I'm sorry I can't give insight into your choices :smile:

congrats on your sensible decision :congrats: thank you, i will :smile: enjoy A2! you've been a great help reminding me about essay structures haha :u:
Original post by Ella_08
congrats on your sensible decision :congrats: thank you, i will :smile: enjoy A2! you've been a great help reminding me about essay structures haha :u:

I've just finished my A2 :woo: Now there's just the nervous wait to see if I got my grades... :colondollar:
Reply 22
Original post by Ella_08
I'm starting sixth form in September :broken: I just want to know a bit about the subjects I've chosen... if you don't mind :tongue: like anyone who has studied/studying or is going to study these subjects
Subjects are [in order of my fav]:
- Geography (AQA) << i'm pretty natural at geog
- RS (religion: Buddhism)
- History

Some people are telling me these subjects aren't going to be that hard. What do you think? I'm guessing history will be the hardest.

In prep for A Levels i'm doing a few things such as...
- learning a bit about Buddhism
- learning locations of countries
- do coastal stuff

I am enjoying the holidays tho too, dw :biggrin: but since they're changing the A Levels i can't buy revision guides or anything which is pretty crapy :/

Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as an 'easy' A level. They're Advanced level qualifications, so they're supposed to be more challenging than anything you've experienced before.
Our secondary school told us there are certain 'hard' and 'soft' subjects, and that we should aim to get a mix of the two to have a good balance. For example, maths, sciences, languages, history and geography etc...they were seen as 'hard' subjects as they're viewed as the most academic. Whereas subjects such as art, photography, media and other more 'creative' subjects were viewed as 'soft'. I didn't really like this system, because it left a lot of grey areas, such as RE, psychology, sociology and other social science kinds of subject.
Also, I followed the advice and took English and French (hard) and then Art (soft) and RE (who knows) and Art turned out to be the most demanding of the four in terms of workload, english and RE were easiest...and french was near enough impossible!
As far as I can see, you've got a pretty good range of subjects there, but they still fit together well. I couldn't tell you which you'll find easiest because that depends on you personally. Enjoy your holiday and good luck!:smile:
Original post by Ella_08
I didn't know it required all those things... but reading that makes me want to do it more :excited: i chose RS because i'm really interested in Buddhism and also because it's a bit like english. I didn't want to do english because that stresses the hell out of me but i think RS is a good compromise :tongue:
Yeah it requires those things. :smile: I would suggest keep on top of it and do it. I'm interested in Islam that's why also want to carry it forward, and yeah, it's like English and RS is a good compromise because with English you need to do more.
Original post by Ella_08
my hand will be hurting then :biggrin: i agree, history is gonna be hard
Yup :biggrin:
History was my hardest A-Level...and I did bio, chem and maths alongside it.

The jump from GCSE to A-Level was huge and almost impossible because you have to change your essay writing skills completely and that's not easy. And there's an unbelievable amount of content to learn and you have to link it all to the question. It's harder than it seems.

But I still enjoyed it nonetheless, I really liked the content but will be dropping it after AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know about your other subjects, but History definitely won't be easy. As well as essay and source skills - which might come naturally or not, but will still take some getting used to and practice - there's a lot to learn. After starting AS History, GCSE History felt like nothing. After starting A2 History, the amount of content that I had had to learn for AS felt like absolutely nothing compared to what I had to learn then. If you have a good revision technique and you start early, you'll be fine - but don't underestimate History. It's definitely really enjoyable though, and I'm going to miss doing it.
Original post by Ella_08
eeek! :dong: well tbh it's better than the sciences/maths for me personally. Geography is my strength so this should balance it out :smile:

It's true I think it's important to pick subjects you will find easy to revise ; if you like doing essay plans ect for revision then essay subjects will be good but obviously if you struggle then it would be better to pick something else
I do History, and yeah it's pretty hard in terms of how much you have to remember, but I think Geography's harder.

I don't take Geography myself, but there's this guy I speak to who does both History and Geography. He's quite good at History, and he and I both reckon he got an A, but he says Geography is much harder.
Original post by Cari98
Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as an 'easy' A level. They're Advanced level qualifications, so they're supposed to be more challenging than anything you've experienced before.
Our secondary school told us there are certain 'hard' and 'soft' subjects, and that we should aim to get a mix of the two to have a good balance. For example, maths, sciences, languages, history and geography etc...they were seen as 'hard' subjects as they're viewed as the most academic. Whereas subjects such as art, photography, media and other more 'creative' subjects were viewed as 'soft'. I didn't really like this system, because it left a lot of grey areas, such as RE, psychology, sociology and other social science kinds of subject.
Also, I followed the advice and took English and French (hard) and then Art (soft) and RE (who knows) and Art turned out to be the most demanding of the four in terms of workload, english and RE were easiest...and french was near enough impossible!
As far as I can see, you've got a pretty good range of subjects there, but they still fit together well. I couldn't tell you which you'll find easiest because that depends on you personally. Enjoy your holiday and good luck!:smile:

Thanks very much for your response :smile: You're right, everything I take is going to be hard, but some are harder than others. Thankfully I have 2 facilitating subjects but that equals the most academic. Haha I'm glad I didn't take a language, I would literally fail. Also, I'm glad to hear that RS was one of your easier ones, but it's different for everyone. Thanku, I feel more confident about my options now :wink: Have a great holiday!
Original post by nomophobia
History was my hardest A-Level...and I did bio, chem and maths alongside it.

The jump from GCSE to A-Level was huge and almost impossible because you have to change your essay writing skills completely and that's not easy. And there's an unbelievable amount of content to learn and you have to link it all to the question. It's harder than it seems.

But I still enjoyed it nonetheless, I really liked the content but will be dropping it after AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, history A Level seems pretty extreme :K: I don't regret choosing it though, there wasn't much else that interested me. I was thinking about bio but i'm a veggie llool and you have to cut up open hearts at my sixth form; I was getting bored of science anyways. Thanks for the help :wink:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I don't know about your other subjects, but History definitely won't be easy. As well as essay and source skills - which might come naturally or not, but will still take some getting used to and practice - there's a lot to learn. After starting AS History, GCSE History felt like nothing. After starting A2 History, the amount of content that I had had to learn for AS felt like absolutely nothing compared to what I had to learn then. If you have a good revision technique and you start early, you'll be fine - but don't underestimate History. It's definitely really enjoyable though, and I'm going to miss doing it.

Thank you :biggrin: yeah I get that's it's more of a memory game with history, rather than understanding. You've warned me :tongue:.... i'll defintely start revising early! Sources can be fun to look at. I think we're doing Germany again, so I'll already know some of it
Original post by Ella_08
Wow, history A Level seems pretty extreme :K: I don't regret choosing it though, there wasn't much else that interested me. I was thinking about bio but i'm a veggie llool and you have to cut up open hearts at my sixth form; I was getting bored of science anyways. Thanks for the help :wink:

Yeah it's really enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but it's hard. I'm sure you don't have to do it if you have any objections - that's what happened at my college, anyone who refused to do it because of moral objections didn't have to do it. And you're welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
don't listen to anyone here, those are very easy subjects and you can do well without much effort (except history)
I've finished A2 geog now, AS is pretty straightforward but A2 is a whole different ballgame, I must have revised over 50 case studies to use just 4-5 in the exam. A2 geography is difficult lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Ella_08
I'm starting sixth form in September :broken: I just want to know a bit about the subjects I've chosen... if you don't mind :tongue: like anyone who has studied/studying or is going to study these subjects
- History

Some people are telling me these subjects aren't going to be that hard. What do you think? I'm guessing history will be the hardest.

- do coastal stuff

I am enjoying the holidays tho too, dw :biggrin: but since they're changing the A Levels i can't buy revision guides or anything which is pretty crapy :/

You'll have lots of essays and facts to remember; history is VER HARD!
Geography is HARD
RE... I wouldn't know but if it's anything like GCSE then it's a piss take 😂

Good luck!
Original post by Ella_08
thanx for letting me know. Wow you do 4, good on you :wink: i'm annoyed about the resources, like how are we supposed to do well without information? :rolleyes: lol. That's why i want to start early, for RS is there anything worth going over now? ik the course is changing but there might be something that won't change..?

if you're doing Buddhism, a very short introduction to Buddhism is quite good and then the ten theories of human nature is useful. tbh budhism is even harder for resources but you'll be fine! the teacher will make sure you know everything you need☺️
Original post by Ella_08
- History

- do coastal stuff

out of chemistry maths and geography i found geography the hardest (AS is alright but A2 unit 4 may god help you). Best of luck and believe in yourself and don't neglect revision

Quick Reply

Latest