The Student Room Group

Will I get accepted in any university in the uk for medicine ?

Hey everybody, Im an international student.. in saudi arabia who took a gap year to repeat some subjects..
Anyway i got the following grades.. thanks for your help and advice in advance !
I got 4A* 2A 1B in IGCSE
A* in biology, chemistry, physics and maths ( al hamdulelah )
A in ESL ( english as a second language ) and computer studies
B in classical arabic
--
At As level I got 4As
A in chemistry,biology, maths and arabic
At A2 and hence Alevels I got 2A* and C
A* in chemistry and maths
C in biology ( I didnt do unit 5 biology due to some reason but I did it again this summer :tongue: )
---
School report card : 96.9%
---
Ielts : 7.5 from 9
--
Last but not least I registered in a uni during this gap year ( idk if you could still call it gap year but in any case I developed good knowledge al hamdulelah in Anatomy, physiology,histology and biochemistry )
-- finally my budget is 11,200 sterling pounds yearly. Thanks again :smile:

Scroll to see replies

C in biology stands out quite a bit imo. You might want to look at the entry requirements for doing medicine and the universities you're interested in, while I haven't looked, I suspect you're gonna' need at least a B in biology.

Edit: since you posted this in oxbridge I presume, well, you're interested in doing medicine at Cambridge or oxford, they both have a typical offer of A*A*A, you have A*A*C...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
C in biology stands out quite a bit imo. You might want to look at the entry requirements for doing medicine and the universities you're interested in, while I haven't looked, I suspect you're gonna' need at least a B in biology.

Edit: since you posted this in oxbridge I presume, well, you're interested in doing medicine at Cambridge or oxford, they both have a typical offer of A*A*A, you have A*A*C...

I dont really need oxbridge.. any uni is okay
Original post by Halo9275

Even then, looking at other universities entry requirements for medicine, most require AAA or AAAb

This might help you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement
Reply 4
Original post by 34908seikj
Even then, looking at other universities entry requirements for medicine, most require AAA or AAAb

This might help you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

Thanks very much :l
Thanks very much :l

It's still worth applying, looking at the entry requirement some only say biology at AS level - which you got an A* in. Given that you got two A* and C, you still could get in!
Reply 6

I've moved your thread to the Medicine forum instead of Oxbridge :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm afraid you won't get into medicine with A*A*C - they all ask for AAA - you could resit but I only know of 1 uni which accepts A-Levels over 3 years which is Liverpool and even then, you have to prove extenuating circumstances.

The graduate entry route might work though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hey everybody, Im an international student.. in saudi arabia ...

Is that your total budget, including tuition, living costs and rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Is that your total budget, including tuition, living costs and rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes
Reply 10
Original post by nomophobia
I'm afraid you won't get into medicine with A*A*C - they all ask for AAA - you could resit but I only know of 1 uni which accepts A-Levels over 3 years which is Liverpool and even then, you have to prove extenuating circumstances.

The graduate entry route might work though

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I still got really good at As and igcse and A2 And even at A2 chemistry I got full mark in 2 units ( 290/300 overall ) won't that help ?
But I still got really good at As and igcse and A2 And even at A2 chemistry I got full mark in 2 units ( 290/300 overall ) won't that help ?

Nope. Sorry, I know it's harsh but medicine is so competitive that if you don't have AAA, (Unless you have extenuating circumstances) it results in outright rejection.

You're either going to have to look at doing medicine in maybe eastern Europe or go through the graduate entry route but since you're an international student, you'll go broke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by nomophobia
Nope. Sorry, I know it's harsh but medicine is so competitive that if you don't have AAA, (Unless you have extenuating circumstances) it results in outright rejection.

You're either going to have to look at doing medicine in maybe eastern Europe or go through the graduate entry route but since you're an international student, you'll go broke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alrights thanks for help :smile: Best wishes :smile: and hopefully I will get to visit the UK one day :smile:

Neil asked you if that was meant to cover your tuition as well, which you saud yes.

Standard fees for home students is £9,000 pa, so even at that rate you wuld have only £2,200 to live on.

Unfortunately for you, you are not a home student, so you have to pay international rates and that varies from £18,000- £40,000 each year (average is (30k). You would then need circa £7-12k living expenses on top.

Your budget cannot handle that.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
Neil asked you if that was meant to cover your tuition as well, which you saud yes.

Standard fees for home students is £9,000 pa, so even at that rate you wuld have only £2,200 to live on.

Unfortunately for you, you are not a home student, so you have to pay international rates and that varies from £18,000- £40,000 each year (average is (30k). You would then need circa £7-12k living expenses on top.

Indeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everybody, Im an international student.. in saudi arabia who took a gap year to repeat some subjects..
Anyway i got the following grades.. thanks for your help and advice in advance !
I got 4A* 2A 1B in IGCSE
A* in biology, chemistry, physics and maths ( al hamdulelah )
A in ESL ( english as a second language ) and computer studies
B in classical arabic
--
At As level I got 4As
A in chemistry,biology, maths and arabic
At A2 and hence Alevels I got 2A* and C
A* in chemistry and maths
C in biology ( I didnt do unit 5 biology due to some reason but I did it again this summer :tongue: )
---
School report card : 96.9%
---
Ielts : 7.5 from 9
--
Last but not least I registered in a uni during this gap year ( idk if you could still call it gap year but in any case I developed good knowledge al hamdulelah in Anatomy, physiology,histology and biochemistry )

Try looking at lots of universities because some may be flexible but just remember Biology is one of the main subjects needed for medicine so they might be tough about that C. Try and amaze universities with your UKCAT and BMAT results because they can make an offer from there.
Original post by 999tigger

Yeah I read that they charge a lot for International students.
Reply 17
Original post by Shazen
Yeah I read that they charge a lot for International students.

So can you afford it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
So can you afford it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me? I'm not an international student.
Reply 19
Original post by Shazen
Me? I'm not an international student.

Ah sorry - I thought you were the OP from your reply.

So @Halo9275 - can you afford the international tuition fees and living costs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending