The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What is Lancaster University's campus like?

I'm currently looking around Universities but live a long way from Lancaster so I do know if I will get chance to visit it. What's the campus like? Is it very isolated or near a city? If it is isolated, how far away is the nearest city? Is there a lot to do there?
Lancaster is a campus uni; all is on site. Yes the campus is isolated from the city, but there are benefits. It's generally quieter being isolated, and there are bars for each college if you want to go for a chilled drink; all very reasonably priced. Lots of food outlets also on campus. The bus to the city is about 5-10 minutes, and there are a few things to do in and around. There's Williamson's Park which is lovely, the castle and other places to see, while there's a cinema and further leisure activities in the surrounding area. However, if you're wanting a big city with lots of hustle and bustle, Lancaster isn't the one. It's a quiet place which can be enjoyed if you enjoy a relaxed place. The difference I find with Lancaster is it's a very community feel; everyone is in it together, and it's very easy to get along with everyone :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by _Bembridge
I'm currently looking around Universities but live a long way from Lancaster so I do know if I will get chance to visit it. What's the campus like? Is it very isolated or near a city? If it is isolated, how far away is the nearest city? Is there a lot to do there?

It is VERY isolated - my friend went there on a visit day and told me that students have to get their shopping delivered online.... it's that bad - I wouldn't suggest going there TBH cause I feel like you'd be bored and feel lost... It is near Lancaster but it's a small place with little to do like you'd have to get a bus to get anywhere
Original post by fefssdf
It is VERY isolated - my friend went there on a visit day and told me that students have to get their shopping delivered online.... it's that bad - I wouldn't suggest going there TBH cause I feel like you'd be bored and feel lost... It is near Lancaster but it's a small place with little to do like you'd have to get a bus to get anywhere

Yeah that's a load of BS. It's a ten minute bus journey to town and the buses run roughly every ten minutes during the day. Not all students get online delivery and the reason they do is because they don't want to carry a week's shopping from Sainsburys to the bus station (which is across the road from Sainsburys) and because it's cheaper to pay for delivery than a return bus ticket to town.

Lancaster may be small but unless you've actually lived here it's pretty ignorant to say there's nothing to do. Sure we're not as big as Manchester but I frequently find myself double or triple booked on weekends because there's always something happening.
Original post by _Bembridge

If you really like campus universities then Lancaster is a prime example of that. Its roughly a 10-15 minute bus journey from campus to Lancaster city centre (unless you end up stuck in traffic on the 2a), a single is £1.70 and I believe a return is £2.60 or something very close to that.

I dont go to Lancaster, my boyfriend does and I visit him a lot, I go to a city uni and in comparison the campus does feel slightly isolated from the shops and you definetly would have a hard time walking into town from campus so buses are a must. But that isn't to say that isolated means there is nothing to do, campus is always buzzing (particularly in freshers), there are many average priced bars and food outlets on campus as well as convenience stores, banks and even a pharmacy. Events are always happening and if you pop along to the townhouses on a friday night there is bound to be something going on in there. As for nightlife sugarhouse (LUSU nightclub) is situated near sainsburys in town, and buses run to and from the uni during the early hours for people who have been to sugar and have a stamp, so no need to worry about getting back from a night out in town unless you miss the last bus.

For shopping Iceland and Sainsburys is pretty much all that is there in terms of supermarkets in town (there are a few express ministores as well) and sainsburys is close to the bus station meaning if your not getting to much and can carry it back you wont have to go to far. A lot of people do just get deliveries though as its easier.

In terms of things to do in lancaster, the nightlife scene isnt exactly that of manchester/london/leeds/cardiff/liverpool, but there are a few bars and clubs. Shopping wise its pretty sparse but the essentials are there, primark will also be opening soon im pretty sure (but they have been saying that for a few years now to no avail). The train station is close to the town (5 minute walk) with trains going to crewe, birmingham, preston, manchester, carslile, morcambe, and scotland, but for most train journeys you can change at Birmingham, crewe, preston or manchester and get to pretty much anywhere. In winter the lines are sometimes down but that is the case in any small city.

Take it as you will, I personally couldnt study in lancaster as it is to quiet for me with very little to do other than get drunk (which isnt really my thing), but everyone is different.
Original post by Manitude
Yeah that's a load of BS. It's a ten minute bus journey to town and the buses run roughly every ten minutes during the day. Not all students get online delivery and the reason they do is because they don't want to carry a week's shopping from Sainsburys to the bus station (which is across the road from Sainsburys) and because it's cheaper to pay for delivery than a return bus ticket to town.

Lancaster may be small but unless you've actually lived here it's pretty ignorant to say there's nothing to do. Sure we're not as big as Manchester but I frequently find myself double or triple booked on weekends because there's always something happening.

Also worth noting there are free buses to Sainsbury's on Wednesdays. A lot of people- including me- get that.
Original post by izpenguin
Also worth noting there are free buses to Sainsbury's on Wednesdays. A lot of people- including me- get that.

Yeah, I forgot about that, too. A free bus directly from campus to the front door of Sainsburys. Some people don't take it if they're doing sport on Wednesdays I guess, which is another reason for home delivery.
Reply 7
If you like a city university, with a good nightlife, and an exciting city you can explore, Lancaster University really isn't for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending