The Student Room Group

Are people born with a natural ability to do certain things really well? e.g maths

If someone is really bad at maths through hard work would they be able to achieve an A at a-level or is maths only for those that have the natural ability?

Is it possible to become excellent at something if you don't have the natural ability?

Because in our society a lot of people assume that people are born intelligent which I think is true, but if your not born intelligent and you don't have the natural ability to study maths or sciences is it the end? You can't get into a STEM degree so you will be most likely unemployed.

So what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Question 1) Someone who works hard will certainly achieve a good grade in A level maths.
Question 2) Yes

Hard Work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard
I personally believe that there are different beliefs on how intelligence can be expressed. I wasn't always the most able in my class until this year, when I began to believe in myself. There are an array of factors as to how performs in a subject but yet again, some may rebuke this answer.
Original post by sweetiemelx
If someone is really bad at maths through hard work would they be able to achieve an A at a-level or is maths only for those that have the natural ability?

Is it possible to become excellent at something if you don't have the natural ability?

Because in our society a lot of people assume that people are born intelligent which I think is true, but if your not born intelligent and you don't have the natural ability to study maths or sciences is it the end? You can't get into a STEM degree so you will be most likely unemployed.

No, people are not born with natural ability to do really well at maths.

Certain mindset allows people to outperform others at maths.
Reply 4
People who are not born intelligent can still be just as successful, if not more successful, than people who are born intelligent by working their arse off.

They may not be intelligent but they might have a lot of motivation and drive and may be very hardworking and focused so there's no reason why they couldn't be super successful.

Where as if you had a naturally very intelligent person and they were lazy as **** they obviously wouldn't achieve half the stuff the hard working individual would.

So its not about how naturally intelligent you are, it's about how hard you work. Yeah sure naturally intelligent people work less for the same grade but that doesn't change much really.
Being hard working is a talent in its own right.
(edited 7 years ago)
maths ability is definitely genetic. by working hard you can pass school exams without natural ability, but to progress further is very difficult.
Reply 7

Yes absolutely. Everyone starts off bad.

There is no such thing as natural ability.

It is completely false and meaningless to think that people are born intelligent. There is only desire, if you don't want to be good at something then you won't. No-one starts off good.

If you want something, put in enough work and you will get it. Simple as that.

answers in bold ^
Reply 8
FWIW, Maths at A-Level isn't really maths per se, it's just a bunch of crap you can half-ass and get an easy A* - whether or not you're good at maths, let alone whether or not you have an innate ability for it.
Reply 9
Original post by the bear
maths ability is definitely genetic. by working hard you can pass school exams without natural ability, but to progress further is very difficult.

so if you don't have the genetics but you still work really hard would it be difficult to do a STEM degree. Is it even possible?
so if you don't have the genetics but you still work really hard would it be difficult to do a STEM degree. Is it even possible?

it would be very hard. but worthwhile. *
Of course everyone is born with different set of natural abilities!

And yes everyone can do maths with varying levels of effort. But why not stick to what you ARE naturally good at? You might draw more joy/ fulfilment from it. I would question your motivation to do maths at A-Level/ degree level before jumping into it.
I think innate ability is hugely important. Although you can't change that, so I guess it's always worth trying as hard as you can, since that is something you have control over.
Some of it is inherited but the vast majority of it develops at various stages of cognitive development in the early childhood: 3-5 years old in particular and at several stages of growing up. There are a lot of studies on this. Even then, if you have a developed a particular ability for something but do not utilise it through the hard work it can as well be wasted. So hard work is crucial as there are countless of examples of people born with the same ability who took a radically different paths of cognitive development, or people with a similar level of development to adolescence (i.e. similar GCSE grades) with different work ethics later in life. The vast majority of it is shaped not by genetics but by socio-economics.
Reply 14

Yes it is possible but you must really have the commitment and drive. Just as a separate example: I play the piano. In 9 years of playing the piano I have gained a grade 5 ABRSM recognition, At the same time I know someone two years younger than me who in 5 years has achieved grade 5 piano AND grade 8 violin! Yes, some people have talent others of us have to work very hard to even begin to replicate that talent.
So if you feel that you have the drive to do A-level maths even with no talent, you can still get an A in it. I would recommend as much as 5 hours a week practising or revising it though, even natural mathematicians struggle at a little at A-level.
Reply 15
Original post by melissadh
I personally believe that there are different beliefs on how intelligence can be expressed.

lol that's not an opinion but a fact

Original post by the bear

Absolutely not. You can progress as far as you like if you put in the work. No-one is born already good at maths, you have to want it. Natural ability doesn't exist.

Original post by tangotangopapa2
No, people are not born with natural ability to do really well at maths.

Certain mindset allows people to outperform others at maths.

Hit the nail on the head.

For maths, hard work IMO. I was second bottom set in primary school, got an A* at GCSE, should have a decent A at AS and predicted an A* at A-level.

I just worked at it, simple as that!
Some people will be naturally more competent at a certain subject (having a more art mind or logical mind), however it doesn't mean that you can't develop into being good at something.

That's why you need to work hard to get to where you want to get to and I personally believe most people are capable of achieving that.*
I think art is something you either have or haven't got. I think you can only teach it to an extent but you need to have a type of brain which can interpret objects into drawable shapes etc.
I have basically been doing art all my life ever since nursery (yeh ik that isnt art but i was making stuff and learning how to make etc) so I have had a lot of practise so it is kind of nature and nurture if you will, as in I have a sort of '3D brain' but that alone isnt good enough, you have to practise pretty much everyday for years :smile:
as for maths idk, i did so much maths for GCSE because i found it hard so in the end I got quite good at doing certain types of questions but i would not have had any mathematical ability when it came to application, I think some people just have that 'mathsy' brain and similarly to art practise it a lot so build on that inate mindset :smile:
Reply 19
Well it's not like there is a "maths gene" lol. But I certainly think certain types and aspects of intelligence have inherited components.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending