The Student Room Group

LLM at LSE/UCL

xx
(edited 7 years ago)
What about your third year results?
First year tend to be largely less importnat, but its up to them and depends on how competitive it is to get on the course.

You can get academic references from anyone who has knowledge of your work i.e any of your lecturers who is wiling to provide one. It doesnt have to be your tutor.
Someone will know you and if they dont then you should get yourself known.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What about your third year results?
First year tend to be largely less importnat, but its up to them and depends on how competitive it is to get on the course.

You can get academic references from anyone who has knowledge of your work i.e any of your lecturers who is wiling to provide one. It doesnt have to be your tutor.
Someone will know you and if they dont then you should get yourself known.

WIll only start third year in September.
Original post by iamyourmum
WIll only start third year in September.

You can turn things around. Take it very seriously and aim for high grades.

Or you can score a low grade and just forget about LSE.
Well I had a look and it doesnt say either way. Common sense would be to look at the application form and see if it asks you to list first year results or not. If bot then you are fine and if yes, then they have the option to consider them. It does suggest they wnat to know your full degree so in any event you would have your third year results, which would need to be good as well. You then have the additional criteria to shine in as well.
How competitive is it to get into LSE/UCL for the LLM?

I got a 53% in first year (failed one module) and a 66% for second year.
On LSE's page, it states that it look for people with a first/high 2.1 - would my really poor first year results make it impossible for me to get into LSE/UCL?

Also, how does one go about getting two academic references? I've seen my personal tutor probably three times over the course of two years and she's not familiar with my written work. I doubt any of my subject tutors even know my name - not to mention that coursework are marked anonymously.

If you get an offer it will probably be conditional on your achieving 65%+ overall. The terrible first year results will be a negative point in your application but perhaps not fatal.

I don't know how it is possible that no tutor can know who you are. Are all of your classes extremely large, or are you just completely silent in tutorials? In any case you will need to get yourself known by someone who can comment on your academic ability asap in your third year. References will probably be reasonably important given that your results are pretty average.
Reply 6
Original post by Forum User
If you get an offer it will probably be conditional on your achieving 65%+ overall. The terrible first year results will be a negative point in your application but perhaps not fatal.

I don't know how it is possible that no tutor can know who you are. Are all of your classes extremely large, or are you just completely silent in tutorials? In any case you will need to get yourself known by someone who can comment on your academic ability asap in your third year. References will probably be reasonably important given that your results are pretty average.

I've contributed a lot during the tutorials.
The thing is, I only have 8 tutorials (50 minutes each) in the whole year for each module + the tutor teaches around 50 students. It's difficult (at least for me) to make a lasting impression. Whilst the tutor knows by name (and that I've done the reading and contributed to the discussion) during the course of the year, I feel that once the module/year ends, the tutor probably wouldn't remember me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Gosh, I sometimes regret being a Bristol student when I read such posts.... :/
I've contributed a lot during the tutorials.
The thing is, I only have 8 tutorials (50 minutes each) in the whole year for each module + the tutor teaches around 50 students. It's difficult (at least for me) to make a lasting impression. Whilst the tutor knows by name (and that I've done the reading and contributed to the discussion) during the course of the year, I feel that once the module/year ends, the tutor probably wouldn't remember me.

Have you even asked?
Do you think they have evert probided references before?
If you cant rely on the teaching staff at the department, then who do you think writes them?
Do you have exams or essays that will be marked in January? If so maybe it would be a good idea to make sure you build good relationships with your tutors for the modules you're taking from September, get good grades in January, then apply with some evidence that you will do well and some good references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending