The Student Room Group

A* Historians needed!

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone who did history at GCSE (and preferably got an A/A*) could mentor me on some of your top tips and provide any advice you may have.

Feel free to message me!

Thanks,

tameimpalaaa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tameimpalaaa
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone who did history at GCSE (and preferably got an A/A*) could mentor me on some of your top tips and provide any advice you may have.

Feel free to message me!

Thanks,

tameimpalaaa

@Magnus Taylor = He got an A* at GCSE and A level, so he should be able to help!:u: (He's in Beijing at the moment, so may take a while to reply)
Hi all,

Feel free to message me!

Thanks,

tameimpalaaa

Yeah, make sure you learn how to structure your answers and then practice past questions because they might come up in the actual thing
Original post by SuperHuman98
Yeah, make sure you learn how to structure your answers and then practice past questions because they might come up in the actual thing

I have my part C controlled assessment coming up soon. Is it possible if you could help me with how to structure my answer?
Original post by Marshall Taylor
@Magnus Taylor = He got an A* at GCSE and A level, so he should be able to help!:u: (He's in Beijing at the moment, so may take a while to reply)

Thanks! I'll message him and see how it goes.
Are you starting yr10 or yr11?
I have my part C controlled assessment coming up soon. Is it possible if you could help me with how to structure my answer?

I cant remember, ask your teacher
Original post by Legendary Quest
Are you starting yr10 or yr11?

Year 11
Pretty much firstly make sure you have really securely learnt all the content and are able to use plenty of facts to support your arguments. The second thing I would say is to cross link between your paragraphs, pretty much address how your previous paragraph is relevant to your current point, your teacher might be able to explain slightly better than me. This is what improved my initial mock results of a B to eventually getting an A*.
I'm only in year 10 right now but I've got A*s in my end of yr 10 mock and in my controlled assessment so I guess I am some kind of help? I feel so small compared to everyone else in this thread but i'm gonna try my best, but i'm certainly no expert lol.
Anyway, it's so easy to write too much I find, but you literally don't need every single last detail (my usual exam technique is to write everything I know and hope I get the points they are looking for which is pretty impossible in this case), which makes it important to know the exam technique and get it cracked so you can write the minimal amount needed to get an A*. With the actual knowledge, I just find it pretty easy to retain as I am really interested in History and do a lot of reading outside class, but I know this certainly doesn't happen with everyone so I would suggest after every little topic going over it at home and making notes of it so when it comes to your actual exams you have them already and know you previously understood them.
Hi all,

Feel free to message me!

Thanks,

tameimpalaaa

To write a good History essay, you need to have the correct mindset. You're not telling a story, you're a lawyer making an argument while discounting your opponent's argument.

Generally you only should write three main points, your argument shouldn't be balanced but there must be a counterargument. So generally two points for your view and one point for the opposing. Always end the opposing your point by bringing it back to your argument, if you can't do this don't worry but I always get a smiley face from my teacher when I do it.

You need specific evidence. That's not reeling off a full date and/or time. But instead of saying "the Reichstag Fire enabled Hitler to ban opponents", you need to be specific. What caused Hitler to ban opponents? It wasn't just the Reichstag fire was it? It was because of certain actions taken by Hitler following the fire. It's much easier to expand off of evidence when it's specific, rather than vague evidence.

Most importantly - know your stuff!
Make sure that you are certain of the necessary answer structures. If you stick to those rigidly it will help you.
Hi all,

Feel free to message me!

Thanks,

tameimpalaaa

Past papers, PEEEL structure, learn specific dates, link frequently to the question, challenge historiography
Original post by Marshall Taylor

I've also just achieved a first class in my first year of study at the University of Warwick in History mate
Hi all,

Feel free to message me!

Thanks,

tameimpalaaa

I got an A* at GCSE. I would say read as many books on the subject you're studying as possible, and gain a deep insight into perceptions of the historians and learn how to compare, contrast and insert your own opinion in.
Hi all,

Feel free to message me!

Thanks,

tameimpalaaa

I just took my History GCSE but I earned exceptional grades in History and I am willing to help you. I didn’t earn the best grades until my teacher taught me a certain structure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did GCSE history this year so I don't know what I got yet. If you have any questions you can ask me if you want to though.
Original post by dexterminate
I just took my History GCSE but I earned exceptional grades in History and I am willing to help you. I didn’t earn the best grades until my teacher taught me a certain structure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you could help me that would be great. Can I send you what I've planned so far?
Original post by TercioOfParma
I got an A* at GCSE. I would say read as many books on the subject you're studying as possible, and gain a deep insight into perceptions of the historians and learn how to compare, contrast and insert your own opinion in.

Thank you for your advice :smile:
Thanks for the reply- Best of luck with your results. Well done for scoring full ums- that's a big achievement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending