The Student Room Group

Tips for 5 A levels?

Hi, I'm starting my CIE A levels 2 months late (as i'm moving country and school starts early there so i have to catch up on all the work) I'm doing Biology Chemistry Physics Maths and English. Any tips or advice? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Don't do it. :tongue: 3 is enough!
Do 4. 5 is unnecessary.
As above, there's no point doing 5 and it will almost certainly affect your overall performance.
As above, don't do 5 is probably the best advice anyone can give, unless it is 110% necessary (i.e never). It seems as though you're trying to keep your options open. Have a look around and see what the most relevant subjects are out of those ones for you.
You only need three for an offer (unless you're doing medicine or another heavy subject dependent degree) and I would advise you do the EPQ as your 4th (it's only worth 1/2 an A level, but is heavily sought after by universities)
Original post by Marshall Taylor
You only need three for an offer (unless you're doing medicine or another heavy subject dependent degree) and I would advise you do the EPQ as your 4th (it's only worth 1/2 an A level, but is heavily sought after by universities)

Is it? I'd never heard of the EPQ being heavily sought after
I think 5 is very unnecessary, 3 is enough. An A*AA/AAA would be much better than, say, AABBB/ABBBB, the 5 will make you lose focus for each subject on its own. 3 is all you need in my opinion. UNLESS it's for medicine, in which case go for 4. But still not 5.
Original post by RandomStudent66
Hi, I'm starting my CIE A levels 2 months late (as i'm moving country and school starts early there so i have to catch up on all the work) I'm doing Biology Chemistry Physics Maths and English. Any tips or advice? Thanks.

Looking at your subject choices, the best piece of advice I could give is drop english. Your others have common ground which'll make your life a whole lot easier, whereas English is very different to the others. Presuming your degree/career of choice is going to be along the maths/science route, English isn't serving much purpose other than causing you some headaches.

If you do decide to stick with all 5, then the most important thing to do is keep on top of your revision notes. Start making them immediately, and at the end of every week make your notes on everything you've done that week. If you don't stay on top of it, you'll come to February and find you've got an obscene amount of work to do,
Original post by Student403

Yes, some universities hand out lower offers for students with the EPQ now - it's compulsory at my sixth form (which is top 10 in England)

Advice for 5 A levels?

Revise every day for 6 hours for 2 years:biggrin:
A psychiatrist.
You only need to do three/maybe four.
I cannot drop english as it is conpulsory at my school and wish to go into medicine would something like A*A*AAB be more conpetitive than A*A*AA
Original post by Student403

I wouldn't describe it as heavily sought after. However I'd say it's probably more sought after than an unrelated fourth A-level.
I cannot drop english as it is conpulsory at my school and wish to go into medicine would something like A*A*AAB be more conpetitive than A*A*AA

Why is English compulsory? Have you got the wrong end of the stick here?

The B won't change a thing, if not make the application worse. On top of English as it's compulsory in your case, do 3 other sciences and you'll be fine.

It's weird that English is compulsory for you....but drop physics if you want to do medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford here. My tip is this: don't do 5, just focus on maximasing the results in 3.
you can start with 5 but I guarantee you will be down to 4 maybe ever 3 by december.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Yes, some universities hand out lower offers for students with the EPQ now - it's compulsory at my sixth form (which is top 10 in England)

I don't think that means it's heavily sought after. That just means they take it as an alternative means of putting in academic effort during A Levels.

Also that ranking is not relevant

Original post by jamestg
I wouldn't describe it as heavily sought after. However I'd say it's probably more sought after than an unrelated fourth A-level.

Yeah that's what I was thinking

Quick Reply

Latest