The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?

Scroll to see replies

I've actually asked this to my German friend who can speak 4 languages to a decent degree, and apparently the answer is yes after some time practising. I'm not bilingual myself, however, so I can't offer any personal experience on the matter.
I'm not a true bilingual (yet :colone:) but I regularly think in French to aid concentration… sounds strange but… it really works!

Also, yes often I merge the two languages in my head at the same time… which freaks me out and is quite exhausting too. :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah I can
Reply 4
Original post by RomNoob
Yeah I can

What languages can you speak? What age did you learn them? Can you choose which language you want to think in?
Yes, I think so. I can speak Vietnamese and English and I can think fairly well in both languages. The only difficulty I have is thinking with both languages at the same time.
I can think in German, Bengali or English...
So I guess yh :biggrin:
Yes I speak 3 languages at a native-level and some at basic/conversational and I do tend to think in these languages; it happens naturally depending on how often do you use that language at a particular time as compared to the others.
Reply 8
Original post by Anne Dagenhart
Yes, I think so. I can speak Vietnamese and English and I can think fairly well in both languages. The only difficulty I have is thinking with both languages at the same time.

What age did you learn both languages? Can you choose which language you want to think in?
Reply 9
Original post by fg45344
What languages can you speak? What age did you learn them? Can you choose which language you want to think in?

Portuguese and English. Portuguese at normal age and English at around 10 but I've been in England for about 7 years so I'd say I'm fluent in both, and yes I can choose which I want to think in.
Its kind of a mixture
Reply 11
Original post by RomNoob
Portuguese and English. Portuguese at normal age and English at around 10 but I've been in England for about 7 years so I'd say I'm fluent in both, and yes I can choose which I want to think in.

Can you think in any other languages? If someone asked you, "What language do you think in?"....would you answer, "Portuguese and English"
:yep: I can
Reply 13
Original post by fg45344

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?

I am bilingual in English and Spanish and yes, I can think in both languages.
Yes, you definitely can!
I've gone to a bilingual school so I know both English and Italian fluently and I assure you, you can definitely pick which one you want to think in. Sometimes I start thinking half and half, and that's when things start to get confusing :tongue:
Original post by fg45344
Can you think in any other languages? If someone asked you, "What language do you think in?"....would you answer, "Portuguese and English"

No since I'm not fluent in any other languages so it would be pretty difficult to have a coherent thought pattern:tongue: but if someone was to ask me I'd say both.
Reply 17
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I am bilingual in English and Spanish and yes, I can think in both languages.

What age did you learn both languages? Can you consciously choose which language you want to think in? Is there one language you prefer to think in more and why? Can you think in any other languages?
Depends on who I'm with. With English speakers, I think in English and with Nepalese speakers, I think in Nepalese.

This is the same with my speech, which is just automatic - I say certain phrases in front of certain groups of people e.g. if something is hot I'll say athoo in front of Nepalese people and ouch in front of English speakers.

Long thing short, the answer is yes.
Original post by fg45344

Yees, i speak three languages
1st language urdu
2nd french
3rd english

I can basically chose, cant think simultaneously obviously (i dont have 3 brains) but it depends which language i just spoke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending