The Student Room Group

Friend doesn't want to rent with me..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xellah
Then I suppose the only way you're going to know is if you sit down and talk to her again. Maybe you could put her worries to rest, whatever they are. We can only help so much without knowing the people involved. :smile: hopefully you'll work something out, I don't think you'll be living with you dad forever, you'll manage something. :biggrin:

I'm reluctant to raise the issue again as I'd feel as though I was pushing it.
This is why I don't like having friends. You can never tell what's on their minds.
Also can someone please explain to me why so many properties say 'No housing benefits tenants'? What's that about? :mad:
Original post by sherlockfan
Also can someone please explain to me why so many properties say 'No housing benefits tenants'? What's that about? :mad:

Because landlords and letting agencies are prejudiced ********s.

Because they believe the better tenants are those in full time employment.
Original post by 999tigger
Because they believe the better tenants are those in full time employment.

That's disgusting discrimination.
Apparently though it's not illegal to not disclose that you're on housing benefit. So I guess I'd just not tell them where the money's from.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Because landlords and letting agencies are prejudiced ********s.

It should be ilegal to openly discriminate like that. I wouldn't tell them I'm on housing benefit. As long as I pay what business is it of theirs? Its complete ******** and I can't believe it's legitimate.
That's disgusting discrimination.
Apparently though it's not illegal to not disclose that you're on housing benefit. So I guess I'd just not tell them where the money's from.

They will ask you if you are in employment and request a reference.
They will ask you if you are in employment and request a reference.

I am in employment, I'm just not earning enough to afford the astronomical renting prices on my own. Why is that a crime?
I am in employment, I'm just not earning enough to afford the astronomical renting prices on my own. Why is that a crime?

They just wnat to make sure you cna afford the rent. Its completely at their discretion who they choose to rent to.
The difference being that we're both adults...
I understand your point but I couldnt live with someone who doesn't know me as well as my friend does, and she's the only friend I have.

Yes you can. Living alone is better than living with people who only make your MH worse. Living with total strangers in a house share, is also better than living with people who only make your MH worse - but alone is better.

I've lived with housing benefit tenants before. Consistently rude to both me, the landlord and the estate agent. Too dumb to figure out how the central heating works, and constantly blamed me for "turning it off". When they took the key for the meter, they would leave the house for 3 hours and pretend to top it up, but I always returned to an empty meter. Broke rules about smoking on the premesis. Broke rules about using an electric heater. Claim to be a single tenant, then cramp 2 extra people into a single bedroom. Most housing benefit tenants are dumb **** who aren't worth the money they pay, and wreck the property when they leave. A few bad eggs tarnish the landlord's impression on the rest of the good ones unfortunately!
(edited 7 years ago)
They just wnat to make sure you cna afford the rent. Its completely at their discretion who they choose to rent to.

It discriminates against a lot of people who are trying to become independent but would struggle to pay on their own. Renting isn't just a business, people's lives depend on it.
It discriminates against a lot of people who are trying to become independent but would struggle to pay on their own. Renting isn't just a business, people's lives depend on it.

For landlords it is a business. They are just interested in getting paid.
Original post by Another
Yes you can. Living alone is better than living with people who only make your MH worse. Living with total strangers in a house share, is also better than living with people who only make your MH worse - but alone is better.

I've lived with housing benefit tenants before. Consistently rude to both me, the landlord and the estate agent. Too dumb to figure out how the central heating works, and constantly blamed me for "turning it off". When they took the key for the meter, they would leave the house for 3 hours and pretend to top it up, but I always returned to an empty meter. Broke rules about smoking on the premesis. Broke rules about using an electric heater. Claim to be a single tenant, then cramp 2 extra people into a single bedroom. Most housing benefit tenants are dumb **** who aren't worth the money they pay, and wreck the property when they leave. A few bad eggs tarnish the landlord's impression on the rest of the good ones unfortunately!

We are NOT dumb. You have had a bad experience with some tenants. Don't tar us all with the same brush.
How can you advise me to live on my own but then make such an openly discriminatory statement like that which just makes life harder for people like me? You're ridiculous.
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't cried in more than a year. If I'm having a bad day I hardly let it show. Mental illness isn't always obvious.

you're being extremely defensive and argumentative with every response you get on here... perhaps you'd get further with your friend if you worked on that, I wouldn't wanna live with someone who'd respond defensively any time I reminded them to pay a bill or vacuum...

I'm perfectly aware people with mental health vary a lot, just throwing ideas out there
Original post by doodle_333
you're being extremely defensive and argumentative with every response you get on here... perhaps you'd get further with your friend if you worked on that, I wouldn't wanna live with someone who'd respond defensively any time I reminded them to pay a bill or vacuum...

I'm perfectly aware people with mental health vary a lot, just throwing ideas out there

How am I being defensive? I'm just stating facts to counter people's assumptions about me and about people with mental illnesses.
Get a studio, it's better for your peace of mind.
We are NOT dumb. You have had a bad experience with some tenants. Don't tar us with the same brush.
How can you advise me to live on my own but then make such an openly discriminatory statement like that? You're ridiculous.

Most, not all. If you're a landlord giving your property to the council there's a 60% chance you're going to get a bad tenant. When your mortgage repayments are £1200 a month and the rent you charge is £1350, 60% is too big of a risk for your business to take. No discrimination, just reality.

There are still many Landlords who will accept HA tenants, due to the reliable income. If your MH is terrible living with your dad, you should do everything in your power to make it better, including living on your own
Original post by Another
Most, not all. If you're a landlord giving your property to the council there's a 60% chance you're going to get a bad tenant. When your mortgage repayments are £1200 a month and the rent you charge is £1350, 60% is too big of a risk for your business to take. No discrimination, just reali2ty.

There are still many Landlords who will accept HA tenants, due to the reliable income. If your MH is terrible living with your dad, you should do everything in your power to make it better, including living on your own

Not even most. You got stuck with some irresponsible idiots who would have behaved in the same way whether they had been on benefits or not. You're just prejudiced and a hypocrite, and people like you make it impossible for people like me to better themselves. So thanks a lot.
Not even most. You got stuck with some irresponsible idiots who would have behaved in the same way whether they had been on benefits or not. You're just prejudiced and a hypocrite, and people like you make it impossible for people like me to better themselves. So thanks a lot.

From personal experience, most tenants I've come across are full of crap, housing benefits or not. But when they're paying for accommodation out of their hard earned wages, the chances that they're going to respect the environment they live in is a tiny bit higher.

I don't know where the hypocrisy bit came in, but okay. If I were a landlord I would have no problem renting to any kind of tenant, as long as I got to meet with them first. Unfortunately estate agents hardly give you the privilege, so other landlords don't want to take the risk. I'm sure you're a lovely person will treat the property with respect, but it's not the Landlord's fault that they keep running into bad experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending