The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely not, preferential treatment for one group over others is what leads to tension. If we go down this route, then we will be having special holidays for every single religious event which just isn't possible. As for the people saying this will help to 'ease tensions' between Muslims and non-Muslims, it's these demands for special treatment that are partly responsible for creating tension in the first place. This is not an Islamic country, so Islamic traditions must not take precedence over British traditions.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Great, but are you content to allow all other religions national holidays for their religious festivals?

Why wouldn't I be? I just feel that Islam is more important as there's supposed to be around 2.5 million muslims in the UK compared to around 800,000 hindus. And the seperation between muslims and non-muslims is much more widespread than the seperation between hindus and non-hindus, for example.

The reason I support making Eid a national holiday is clear and individual to Islam itself; whilst supporting the countless other holidays by over, smaller, faiths in the UK would be fair for equality, it would also start to become a nuisance as more faiths would want their holiday a national holiday. Limitting it to the three main faiths in the UK (Christianity, Islam and Hinduism) would probably be the best way to go as these (according to the gov.uk website) are represented by atleast 1% of the UK population (other faiths make up just 2% of the population).
Original post by JRKinder
Absolutely not, preferential treatment for one group over others is what leads to tension. If we go down this route, then we will be having special holidays for every single religious event which just isn't possible. As for the people saying this will help to 'ease tensions' between Muslims and non-Muslims, it's these demands for special treatment that are partly responsible for creating tension in the first place. This is not an Islamic country, so Islamic traditions must not take precedence over British traditions.

Since when was Christianity British anyway.
Original post by Craig1998
Why wouldn't I be? I just feel that Islam is more important as there's supposed to be around 2.5 million muslims in the UK compared to around 800,000 hindus. And the seperation between muslims and non-muslims is much more widespread than the seperation between hindus and non-hindus, for example.

The reason I support making Eid a national holiday is clear and individual to Islam itself; whilst supporting the countless other holidays by over, smaller, faiths in the UK would be fair for equality, it would also start to become a nuisance as more faiths would want their holiday a national holiday. Limitting it to the three main faiths in the UK (Christianity, Islam and Hinduism) would probably be the best way to go as these (according to the gov.uk website) are represented by atleast 1% of the UK population (other faiths make up just 2% of the population).

Isn't deciding what privileges we should give to people, and what laws we enact, on the basis of their numbers in society setting a worrying and unfair precedent?
Original post by AccountingBabe
It is to me.
It's unfair to the people they work with leaving them short.
It's unfair to those who don't celebrate it as they have to work and don't get extra days off.
It's unproductive to businesses to allow some of their workforce to F off for a few days.

You are painfully ignorant. I work for PwC and we allow all Muslims to have the day off on Eid, as one day out of office will mean so little to us but a lot to them. Quite frankly you're a disgrace.

This logic is so ******ed lol. What about the Muslims that were born here? They have grown up in this country, and have seen us have the pleasure of having Xmas off and then being denied time off themselves on their holy day? At the very least they should be given the day off without having to take annual leave. There are around 3 million Muslims in the UK and a whole lot less Buddhists, so I don't think you can compare the two.
Bahahahahahaha
sorry, i had to...

I think you will find that secularists are at least the second largest belief system if not the largest, it would be better to have a Secularist Holiday. Not that it is fair to give in to belligerent majorities over minorities.
Since when was Christianity British anyway.
Please identify where I once said 'christianity' in my post. That's why I said 'British', I meant any tradition that persists in this country and has grown over time, not necessarily those that are Christian in origin even if they have their roots in Christianity. I'm an atheist lol so the notion of giving religious precedence for any religion is at odds with my beliefs. For example, I recognise that Christmas is obviously derived from Christianity, but it's modern form is much more of a commercial/general holiday event and is independent from religion for many of those who celebrate it. Introducing a new holiday now, specifically for religious reasons (in this case Islamic), however, means deliberately promoting one religion over another, which is wrong.
That means, we should make religious holidays that ewish people have national, ones that hindus have, sikhs, buddist, etc etc etc which means at the end we'd have basically ayear off every year because of national religious holidays.. xx
Lol. This will never happen.
Only English traditions should be celebrated as a day off otherwise the country will have a tonne of days off.
Original post by KongeyDong
You are painfully ignorant. I work for PwC and we allow all Muslims to have the day off on Eid, as one day out of office will mean so little to us but a lot to them. Quite frankly you're a disgrace.

This logic is so retarded lol. What about the Muslims that were born here? They have grown up in this country, and have seen us have the pleasure of having Xmas off and then being denied time off themselves on their holy day? At the very least they should be given the day off without having to take annual leave. There are around 3 million Muslims in the UK and a whole lot less Buddhists, so I don't think you can compare the two.

Are you saying PwC pay Muslim employees one extra days holiday over all non Muslim workers?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dozyrosie
Are you saying PwC pay Muslim employers one extra days holiday over all non Muslim workers?

I'm saying that we accommodate them so that they all get the day off at least, and a lot of the time they just put the extra 7.5 hours in office over the couple of weeks before and then take the day off. Not so much in our firm as it doesn't apply, but I have friends who at their work Muslims cover for them on Christmas Day (and Boxing Day, so it's only fair they feel that they cover for Muslims on Eid.
Not needed.
Original post by KongeyDong
I'm saying that we accommodate them so that they all get the day off at least, and a lot of the time they just put the extra 7.5 hours in office over the couple of weeks before and then take the day off. Not so much in our firm as it doesn't apply, but I have friends who at their work Muslims cover for them on Christmas Day (and Boxing Day, so it's only fair they feel that they cover for Muslims on Eid.

That is flexi working practice not a holiday, the petition is for a national holiday which is entered under law.
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

Disagree.
We are a Christian country, always have been.
Other cultures have come and gone from this country, and you don't see us making Hanukkah, Chinese New Year, and the 4th of July national holidays, no matter how many dodgy take-aways open in town.
If you want to be in a Muslim run country, then move to one.
I think you're very lucky, and have a very nice employer if they let you have annual leave or swap your religious day off for Christmas, because national holidays cost a lot to small businesses!
Original post by dozyrosie
That is flexi working practice not a holiday, the petition is for a national holiday which is entered under law.

I know, I didn't comment on this being implemented in law, it was just a general comment on the people who were saying it as if Muslims didn't even deserve a day off annual leave. I would say that it'd be fairer to implement a law where everybody gets a religious holiday, and you can choose whether you want it to be taken on Eid, Xmas, or another religious day.
There is a similar petition in the US, it is now closed as it has reached the necessary 40 000 votes, it seems this is where we have got this barmy idea of petitioning parliament to trigger an automatic debate.
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

No!

This isn't an Islamic country. Only Christmas is a national holiday! Plenty of countries where Eid is a holiday. Otherwise make Basakhi a Sikh national holiday! Hanukkah a Jewish holiday! Divali a,Hindu etc etc :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can check out support for this by constituency, it looks like the country votes NO, only Ilford South, Bradford West and Birmingham Ladywood have any significant support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending