The Student Room Group

If we have Black History Month why don't we have White History Month?

Something I do not really understand, why is there so much shame to be white?

Scroll to see replies

The logic, rightly or wrongly, is that black people have had historical disadvantages and so deserve a month for their history. These people feel that white people have not had these disadvantages.

Personally, I think we should judge people on the content of their character and not the colour of their skin, but I do understand the argument.
You must really not know how black people have suffered to be jealous of a poxy month.
Original post by chosenone93
You must really not know how black people have suffered to be jealous of a poxy month.

Why is it a month reflecting on suffering and not a month of celebrating achievement?
Original post by physicsphysics91
Why is it a month reflecting on suffering and not a month of celebrating achievement?

It's both
Why, because most History we are taught in school is white...
Original post by Hippysnake

This

Original post by Bjornhattan
The logic, rightly or wrongly, is that black people have had historical disadvantages and so deserve a month for their history. These people feel that white people have not had these disadvantages.

Personally, I think we should judge people on the content of their character and not the colour of their skin, but I do understand the argument.

I wish people who thought this would actually read some history. They would find that white people were enslaved too in similar numbers by barbary pirates as far north as Iceland. They would also learn that many of the slaves were actually taken by Arabs and North African raiders.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Why, because most History we are taught in school is white...

There isn't all that much history to africa by comparison. Sure, you have Egypt, Mali, Bantu, Songhai etc., but the issue is that their records are not nearly as detailed or as ingrained into British culture.
There's no shame to be white. That's why there's no white history month.
Original post by tanyapotter
There's no shame to be white. That's why there's no white history month.

Nor is there shame to be black though.
Original post by physicsphysics91
Nor is there shame to be black though.

Black people have been shamed by racist scum for all of history and are still shamed today. White people have faced no such shame.
Black people have been shamed by racist scum for all of history and are still shamed today. White people have faced no such shame.

Still surely it doesn't mean we can't celebrate prominent figures of all races? Heck judging by your argument we should have an Indigenous people month aswell

No they haven't.
Some of you get so whiney over such tiny things such as black history month, which isn't even that big a deal in the UK anyway.

The other 11 months are white history month babe x
95% of the history we learn in school is to do with White people.
Original post by Ravenous
95% of the history we learn in school is to do with White people.

Maybe because they produced a high proportion of advancements?
Original post by TercioOfParma
No they haven't.

umm wat? are you just forgetting about slavery, the civil rights movement, the kkk, etc?
Original post by _b_e_n_
umm wat? are you just forgetting about slavery, the civil rights movement, the kkk, etc?

Well, if you can find me an inscription in cuneiform attacking black people you can't say they have been attacked for all history can you? I'm not denying that they haven't been discriminated in recent history (last 400 odd years) though.
Well, the main idea is that White people have contributed so much to the world over time that it would just be arrogant to dedicate a month to ourselves. It's basically considered rude to point out White accomplishments when other races may not have accomplished as much. That's not the nicest way to say it, but that's pretty much what it comes down to.

The other issue is that White people don't really like being lumped together. If you did create a White History Month, various nationalities would complain that it's predominately highlighting British and American achievements, and then ask for a German History Month, an Irish History Month, a French History Month, etc... and before you know it, everyone would want their own month, and there are only 12 to go around. Someone would be left out and angered.

The main reason Blacks were chosen to have their own month is because they need the most encouragement. They have no large countries or great empires to their name like Whites and Asians do. So we throw them a bone and remind them that despite the bad luck of their people over time, they still have contributed a lot and are meaningful. Think about it... if you're White, you can think about ancient Rome. If you're Asian, maybe you think about China. If you're Arab, maybe you think of ancient Persia. But if you're Black? Well, maybe Egyptians were Black? Otherwise, you've got nothing.

So Black people need a month more than everyone else does. Hopefully during that month, they will find something to take pride in and thus feel less of a need to tear people of other races down to make themselves feel better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending