The Student Room Group

University choice

Hello everyone,
I got an offer from University of Southampton, Strathclyde, Queen Mary. I want to continue Master related with finance. To narrow it down, I would choose between Southampton or Strathclyde. Southampton got higher overall ranking compared to Strathclyde but not higher ranking for finance. Strathclyde got three full accreditation but it seems to has very low in overall ranking. The tuition fees in Southampton is cheaper than others but Im not sure the city life in Southampton. My preference would be happening city life, lower monthly expenses/accommodation. I would appreciate if you can share your experience or suggestions on which business school that suit me well.
Simple question - which course do you prefer? Rankings and similar marketing nonsense counts for nothing if you dont actually enjoy the course you are doing.

Yes. that's all League Tables are. Marketing that is designed to 'sell' Universities and sell newspapers. Employers don't use this stuff to sift job applications, whatever the Unis tell you. All three of the Unis you have applied to are well established sensible Unis. Choose the course that interests you the most and at a Uni where you feel comfortable and can afford to live happily for a year. Forget rankings.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! :smile: I got Msc business analytics & finance for university of Southampton. Msc finance & management for uni of Strathclyde and Msc business finance at Queen mary university. The course content of these three programs look fine. I like Strathclyde, but the tuition fees is quite expensive compared to Southampton. Not sure about the living cost there. If you have been to Southampton, share with me your story! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I would personally go Southampton, it has a lot better a reputation, it's a good city for nightlife and ultimately if it costs less, then that's a major bonus!
Reply 4
Southampton !!
Reply 5
U've been to Southampton before? I am scared if the city life is boooring.
Reply 6
Original post by rolaah
I would personally go Southampton, it has a lot better a reputation, it's a good city for nightlife and ultimately if it costs less, then that's a major bonus!

Yaasss! My program cost me about 16k compared to the other with 18-19k. Huge difference after converted to my home country. Where are u staying in Southampton? Is the city happening?
Reply 7
Original post by Lolaaaaa
Yaasss! My program cost me about 16k compared to the other with 18-19k. Huge difference after converted to my home country. Where are u staying in Southampton? Is the city happening?

Haha I don't personally live in Southampton but know people how have gone there and say it's great. I have visited there and the campus itself is fantastic, also it is close to the city which is nice as it is not too big but also not too small. Its location is also good, being (fairly) close to London (roughly 1.5 hours by train) as well as other south coast major cities like Brighton, and is also a major port to major European destinations. Glasgow is a lot more isolated, the closest town only being Edinburgh. Don't get me wrong, both are great, but Southampton just seems like a better university place and has a better reputation for future employers being a Russel Group University (elite research group of unis like Oxbridge, University of London etc.).
Reply 8
Original post by fefssdf
Southampton !!

Do you study in Southampton?
Reply 9
Original post by rolaah
Haha I don't personally live in Southampton but know people how have gone there and say it's great. I have visited there and the campus itself is fantastic, also it is close to the city which is nice as it is not too big but also not too small. Its location is also good, being (fairly) close to London (roughly 1.5 hours by train) as well as other south coast major cities like Brighton, and is also a major port to major European destinations. Glasgow is a lot more isolated, the closest town only being Edinburgh. Don't get me wrong, both are great, but Southampton just seems like a better university place and has a better reputation for future employers being a Russel Group University (elite research group of unis like Oxbridge, University of London etc.).

I thought Strathclyde will be more fun compared to Southampton. But the location of Southampton is not really far from London (it will be great tho!). And the one thing I also consider, being in Russel Group University will add other advantages. But how about accreditation? Does this thing important for future employers?
Reply 10
Original post by returnmigrant
Simple question - which course do you prefer? Rankings and similar marketing nonsense counts for nothing if you dont actually enjoy the course you are doing.

Yes. that's all League Tables are. Marketing that is designed to 'sell' Universities and sell newspapers. Employers don't use this stuff to sift job applications, whatever the Unis tell you. All three of the Unis you have applied to are well established sensible Unis. Choose the course that interests you the most and at a Uni where you feel comfortable and can afford to live happily for a year. Forget rankings.

Thanks for the reply! I got Msc business analytics & finance for university of Southampton. Msc finance & management for uni of Strathclyde and Msc business finance at Queen mary university. The course content of these three programs look fine. I like Strathclyde, but the tuition fees is quite expensive compared to Southampton. Not sure about the living cost there. If you have been to Southampton, share with me your story!

No but it's a Russel group and I know people who have studied there and haven't heard anything bad about it ...
Reply 12
Original post by fefssdf
No but it's a Russel group and I know people who have studied there and haven't heard anything bad about it ...

Thank you! I think Southampton is the best choice.
Reply 13

No, but as I said I have friends who go there and say it's great :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by rolaah
No, but as I said I have friends who go there and say it's great :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Oops realised this was from ages ago
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest