The Student Room Group

If we have Black History Month why don't we have White History Month?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsphysics91
Maybe because they produced a high proportion of advancements?

Lol
Original post by TercioOfParma
There isn't all that much history to africa by comparison. Sure, you have Egypt, Mali, Bantu, Songhai etc., but the issue is that their records are not nearly as detailed or as ingrained into British culture.

The lack of written history makes it difficult yes but I feel like there's still a lot that could be said about the pre-colonial west african kingdoms. It's kind of annoying that they spend the whole of the month banging on about the transatlantic like that's all there is to black history. This was a good set of BBC docs but I feel there must be much more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=his2nY2LXOQ&list=PLhzqSO983AmGPdfr8tqExX4GY1CHGr7bX

We know about slavery and we should never forget it but we need to put it on the backburner.
OP ur a turd
Original post by 99_Problems
The lack of written history makes it difficult yes but I feel like there's still a lot that could be said about the pre-colonial west african kingdoms. It's kind of annoying that they spend the whole of the month banging on about the transatlantic like that's all there is to black history. This was a good set of BBC docs but I feel there must be much more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=his2nY2LXOQ&list=PLhzqSO983AmGPdfr8tqExX4GY1CHGr7bX

We know about slavery and we should never forget it but we need to put it on the backburner.

The thing with the west African kingdoms is that the Sahara placed them in a bubble, so they were almost inconsequential to the rest of the world. In addition, the lack of English language authors writing about them makes them difficult to study at GCSE or A level, since comparing historical views is a major part of both.
Original post by loveleest
Lol

when OP is a lowkey racist and suddenly all of his dumb posts make sense :colonhash:
Original post by tanyapotter
...but the OP asked about white history month, not German/Roma/Hazara history month. OP wants a history month for ALL white people, and ALL types white people have never been oppressed in the way ALL types of black people have. What is not getting through with you, you angry, intolerant being?

White people have been oppressed throughout history. Suggesting otherwise is ludicrous.

Celts
Germans
Roma people
White slavery in the Middle East
Vandal Kingdoms of North Africa
Whites were killed and persecuted in the destruction of the Byzantine Empire
Mongol Invasions
Janissary (Ottoman Empire)
Modern day Zimbabwe
Haitian Revolution
Roman Empire slavery (millions of white Christian slaves alone)

Even now the world has an underground slave market where people of all races, religions etc are sold into slavery across the world.

Lets not let facts get in the way of your ******** though.
Original post by welshiee
White people have been oppressed throughout history. Suggesting otherwise is ludicrous.

Celts
Germans
Roma people
White slavery in the Middle East
Vandal Kingdoms of North Africa
Whites were killed and persecuted in the destruction of the Byzantine Empire
Mongol Invasions
Janissary (Ottoman Empire)
Modern day Zimbabwe
Haitian Revolution
Roman Empire slavery (millions of white Christian slaves alone)

Even now the world has an underground slave market where people of all races, religions etc are sold into slavery across the world.

Lets not let facts get in the way of your ******** though.

How many of these white people were killed for being white?

and you keep saying that same phrase "let's not let facts get in the way of your ********" but i am yet to hear facts of any substance that oppose my view that all white people have been suppressed in the way all black people have. you don't like facts very much, evidently
What's wrong with black history month? Is there something wrong with dedicating one month to black leaders, athletics, and historical figures? I don't complain about asian history month, or native american history month (is that even a thing?). I don't the whole history behind it but I'm going to assume it was needed for black kids who felt like they couldn't accomplish anything due to their color of skin when segregation was legal, and racism was encouraged.

and you keep saying that same phrase "let's not let facts get in the way of your ********" but i am yet to hear facts of any substance that oppose my view that all white people have been suppressed in the way all black people have. you don't like facts very much, evidently

Haitian revolution certainly
Celts and Germanics were certainly killed for their ethnicity, although not necessarily for being "white"
Vandals in north Africa certainly
Mongol Invasion certainly
The sacking of Constantinople is a horror story I suggest you read
Zimbabwe again certainly
The thing with the west African kingdoms is that the Sahara placed them in a bubble, so they were almost inconsequential to the rest of the world. In addition, the lack of English language authors writing about them makes them difficult to study at GCSE or A level, since comparing historical views is a major part of both.

Africa makes up 1/5 of the world couldn't it be part of the module to discuss the difficulties in mapping its history? No wonder people complain A Levels and GCSEs are cakewalks these days. :/
Haitian revolution certainly
Celts and Germanics were certainly killed for their ethnicity, although not necessarily for being "white"
Vandals in north Africa certainly
Mongol Invasion certainly
The sacking of Constantinople is a horror story I suggest you read
Zimbabwe again certainly

Source, please
The Jews and cultural Marxists would never allow it.

Millions of them. However, crimes against white people are very rarely regarded as racially motivated whereas crimes against black people are. Very few people even mention the white slaves that were forced into that lifestyle because its simply forgotten as race was not made the focal issue. This is because white people committing crimes against white people is not regarded as racially motivated, even though it might be: see Hitler vs the Jewish population - a disgusting crime against a large white population.

The fact is, whites have been oppressed throughout history a lot but mostly by other white people.
Original post by 99_Problems
Africa makes up 1/5 of the world couldn't it be part of the module to discuss the difficulties in mapping its history? No wonder people complain A Levels and GCSEs are cakewalks these days. :/

It's not so much the difficulty, it's that it would be more like classics than history, since much of the evidence would be primary. It would be interesting to see it studied, it is just that it is completely alien to the rest of the history syllabus, so it wouldn't teach the skills they desire out of the A level.
Source, please

Nice to see your a denier of historical truths. Do you also deny the Holocaust?
Source, please

Could you give me about 20 minutes please?
Original post by SmileyVibe
What's wrong with black history month? Is there something wrong with dedicating one month to black leaders, athletics, and historical figures? I don't complain about asian history month, or native american history month (is that even a thing?). I don't the whole history behind it but I'm going to assume it was needed for black kids who felt like they couldn't accomplish anything due to their color of skin when segregation was legal, and racism was encouraged.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, I'm asking why there is not a white one
It's not so much the difficulty, it's that it would be more like classics than history, since much of the evidence would be primary. It would be interesting to see it studied, it is just that it is completely alien to the rest of the history syllabus, so it wouldn't teach the skills they desire out of the A level.

Fair enough but this saddens me because people should care less about ticking some university course boxes and be preparing what our essentially our future historians for the pressing issues of the subject and this seems to be one of them...
Reply 58
If we are to reduce racial tensions the question should not be "Why is there a Black History Month?" The question should be "What can the world do to help there be no need for a Black History Month?"
Original post by welshiee
Nice to see your a denier of historical truths. Do you also deny the Holocaust?

I'm not denying them. I'm genuinely interested in reading these sources instead of reading your repetitive, vindictive drawl.

Quick Reply

Latest