The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I would say my figure is very similar to Kylie's in the picture I linked although obviously not identical. From what I could find on the internet my dress size and measurements are smaller than hers but I'm also shorter than her so I look quite similar proportionally overall. Fair enough, haha. So, according to you, I'm sort of on the border between slim and chubby?

Thing is, if your ass is her size then muscle mass is an important factor. If the skin is tight without stretchmarks or cellulite then you haven't much to worry about. If you don't have much muscle mass there then it must be fat which changes everything.
Original post by Ara8311a
Honestly, I think it's fine. You don't need to worry about losing weight because you're perfectly healthy. If you do want to lose weight, be careful because you don't want to end up underweight.

Thank you, I do know that I'm a healthy weight but it's just so difficult to be happy with my weight nevertheless because I just feel really chubby (I used to be really underweight so now I feel like I look chubby comparatively). Some of the comments on here have made me feel even worse as well so I just feel like I should lose weight in order to look nice even though I logically don't need to from a health perspective if that makes sense. I do want to lose some weight in order to be happy with the way I look. Due to some of the comments on here I actually really want to be underweight again right now but I know that that is not a healthy state of mind to be in.
Original post by Sara_t
I'm kind of like you. I am 5'3'' and used to weigh around 6 stone last year. At the time I thought I looked fine but my family would always say i was too skinny/looked ill and needed to put on weight and i'd get offended. Long story short now I weigh 7 and a half stone and wear size 8 clothes. I thought i was chubby too because i was soooo skinny before that in comparison I felt like i was fat. Whenever I told anyone they'd act like i'd gone mad. I'm still very thin and get comments all the time, so no, you're no where near chubby. I saw a video of me from when i weighed less and wow...i looked ill. Anorexic skinny. Now i'm still skinny but don't look like I need to be fed through a tube. I'm small framed and didn't have much on me to begin with so a stone made a huge difference.You're just used to being even skinnier which is why you feel chubby but in reality you are still slim. My friends are the same height as me but weigh slightly more (8 stone) and wear size 8, they're all thin too.

Thank you for replying; it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that feels like that. :smile: So do you think I shouldn't lose any weight then? It's just that right now especially after some of the comments on here I feel like I really want to lose weight and be really skinny/ underweight again. I know that logically that's probably not healthy but I already felt chubby comparatively so I was already unhappy with the way I looked before I started this thread and I didn't expect some of the responses to be quite so horrible. I just don't know how to be happy with my weight right now after reading comments with people calling me "fat", "chubby", "wide and dumpy", almost overweight etc. I know I'm not actually almost overweight from a health point of view but it does make me feel even more self conscious that people are judging me for not being skinny enough looks wise. Sorry for the essay but any advice would be very much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Jebedee
Thing is, if your ass is her size then muscle mass is an important factor. If the skin is tight without stretchmarks or cellulite then you haven't much to worry about. If you don't have much muscle mass there then it must be fat which changes everything.

No, my bum is not quite as big a hers I don't think and I don't have cellulite or stretchmarks.
Thank you, I do know that I'm a healthy weight but it's just so difficult to be happy with my weight nevertheless because I just feel really chubby (I used to be really underweight so now I feel like I look chubby comparatively). Some of the comments on here have made me feel even worse as well so I just feel like I should lose weight in order to look nice even though I logically don't need to from a health perspective if that makes sense. I do want to lose some weight in order to be happy with the way I look. Due to some of the comments on here I actually really want to be underweight again right now but I know that that is not a healthy state of mind to be in.

Everyone has the same issues with their weight. I know I do but comparing yourself to how you were when you were underweight is not a sensible way to go. Underweight is not a healthy look just like being obese isn't. Have you spoken to anyone about how you feel? I know that lots of people on here want to help but most of us are in similar situations and struggling with our own weight.

The fact that you recognise it's not a healthy mindset to want to be underweight again reassures me but you need to speak to someone. Even if it's just a friend, it's better than talking to faceless people who don't fully understand your situation. They might be able to offer better advice.
Original post by Ara8311a
Everyone has the same issues with their weight. I know I do but comparing yourself to how you were when you were underweight is not a sensible way to go. Underweight is not a healthy look just like being obese isn't. Have you spoken to anyone about how you feel? I know that lots of people on here want to help but most of us are in similar situations and struggling with our own weight.

The fact that you recognise it's not a healthy mindset to want to be underweight again reassures me but you need to speak to someone. Even if it's just a friend, it's better than talking to faceless people who don't fully understand your situation. They might be able to offer better advice.

Thank you for replying. So, do you have/have you had these sort of worries then? How do you/did you deal with them? I presume you're female (apologies if I'm wrong haha! :tongue:). I do know that being underweight isn't supposed to be healthy medically but because I was underweight before and I didn't have any health problems it just makes me think "why can't I be underweight and be really skinny and also be healthy". Looks wise, one part of me thinks that I looked much nicer when I was underweight and I just really want to be that size again but then the sensible part of me thinks it's not healthy to be or want to be size 4/size 0 and if I try to lose weight I don't want to end up with an eating disorder or anything.

I see what you mean that underweight isn't healthy just like being obese but the problem is that society encourages girls/women to be really skinny in order to look attractive so a lot of people are underweight/really thin so since I'm sort of average I feel chubby in comparison. I'm not sure how much of the thread you've read but in it I've been called "fat" by two people, "chubby" by several, "wide and dumpy" by one person, "at the limits of okay almost overweight territory" by one person along with numerous comments about how women need to be skinny/are only attractive when they are skinny/need to have completely flat stomachs and massive thigh gaps otherwise they are fat and I'm just not sure how to deal with those comments and be happy with my size. Probably starting this thread was a bad idea but I didn't expect some of the responses to be so extreme and nasty.

No, I haven't spoken to anyone about this. To be honest, I don't think I could speak to anyone I know about this; I'd feel really embarrassed so I just don't think I could. The problem I also have is that as I said in my original post I am applying to university for 2017 entry and I've taken a few gap years in between school and university due to illness. My closest friends from school, who I've kept in touch with, are all guys. I went to a very small school and I was not close friends with any of the girls in my year so I don't have any female friends to talk to so that means that it would have to be family and I don't really feel I could talk to them about this.
Almost overweight territory? Really, this is going a bit too far now. If people reading this believe you then they could get a seriously distorted view of what is normal and healthy. My BMI is 19.8. That is at the low end of a healthy weight. I am 8 stone and a size 8. I'm 5"3.5 and 5"3 is the average height for a woman in the UK. It is not "extremely short". I used to be very underweight and I know that I'm not really skinny anymore. So, I accept that I'm not super skinny, I accept that I'm a bit curvy, I accept that I'm maybe a bit chubbier than ideal but I am definitely a normal and healthy weight. I am not anywhere close to medically overweight; my BMI is much closer to underweight than overweight. That is a fact. What is your idea of a normal, healthy weight? Someone who is severely underweight?

BMI is not a clear indicator of health as it doens't take into consideration age, height musce or fat mass.

Fat girls been calling themselves curvy since the dawn of time, therefore wihout any proof I cannot take your statement to be valid. It is bordeline overweight. Not obese, overweight which 65% of people in the Uk are. Therefore it is a pretty normal thing.
I wish i had reference to see what 5ft 3 and size 8 even looks like. Right now I'm just imagining someone looking like Snooki.

Idk anything about sizes
Original post by Craig David
BMI is not a clear indicator of health as it doens't take into consideration age, height musce or fat mass.

Fat girls been calling themselves curvy since the dawn of time, therefore wihout any proof I cannot take your statement to be valid. It is bordeline overweight. Not obese, overweight which 65% of people in the Uk are. Therefore it is a pretty normal thing.

As I have already pointed out in this thread, BMI is a respected calculation that is used by the NHS in the UK. Yes, it is used only as a guide and yes there are arguments against it but they are related to people being incorrectly labelled as overweight due to having a high muscle mass etc. The problems with it arise when someone has a BMI that is classed as overweight but they are not actually overweight due to their percentage body fat in reality. If you have a healthy BMI, especially if it is not close to the overweight end, then you are a healthy weight. The NHS BMI calculator does take age into consideration actually and so does body fat percentage and my body fat percentage is 24% which is also well within the healthy range.

When I say curvy I mean that my body shape is hourglass rather than straight up and down; I do not mean it as a euphemism for fat. Women of any size can be curvy shaped. What do you mean without any proof? I have given you my BMI (19.8), my Body Fat Percentage (24%), my clothes size (UK size 8/US size 4), my weight (8 stone). What other proof do you need? You have also not given any response to the fact that 5"3 is the average height for a woman in the UK. I'm not sure on what possible factual basis you are saying that it is borderline overweight. If you want me to listen to your opinion then you need to justify it with some facts. Well I'm glad you don't think I'm obese... Beyond belief, honestly! No wonder so many women have body image issues.
Original post by lucabrasi98
I wish i had reference to see what 5ft 3 and size 8 even looks like. Right now I'm just imagining someone looking like Snooki.

Idk anything about sizes

I don't even know who that is haha. If you link a picture then I'll tell you how I look in comparison.
Is this a joke? I could only dream of being that size :frown:
Original post by lisam191
Is this a joke? I could only dream of being that size :frown:

No, it's not a joke. I am definitely serious and if you look through the thread you'll see that I am. Unfortunately, I've actually had quite a lot of negative comments that have made me even more worried about it. How tall and what size are you, if you don't mind me asking? You don't have to answer if you don't want to of course. :smile:
Does anyone have any advice about the best way(s) to lose weight whilst still being healthy? I would ideally like to get back to a size 6 so I would like to lose at least half a stone.
WTF. Some of the people that have said "yes that's chubby" really need to adjust their view of reality. People aren't meant to be sticks, no one likes to cuddle a stick, just be yourself. Be the size you're happy and comfortable being and don't conform to the stencil society says you should be living by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by patchdoyle
WTF. Some of the people that have said "yes that's chubby" really need to adjust their view of reality. People aren't meant to be sticks, no one likes to cuddle a stick, just be yourself. Be the size you're happy and comfortable being and don't conform to the stencil society says you should be living by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I'm glad you think it sounds fine. So, would you date a girl that was my size and height then? Sorry for asking, it's just that I just don't know what to think now. I mean, on this thread, I've had responses ranging from saying that I'm underweight and asking if I have an eating disorder to saying that I'm borderline overweight so now I just don't know what to believe. You are probably right about not conforming to the sort of perfect stick thin image that woman are pressured to be; it's just easier said than done for me.
Original post by SophieSmall
If you lose 1 stone you'd be around 7 stone with a BMI of 17.1, which is underweight I do not recommend this. I know someone in this thread has already said BMI is useless because it doesn't take into account muscle mass, but that is an argument against the overweight side of the scale. Not the underweight side.

While yes it is important to be happy with yourself, it's also important to realise why something makes you unhappy or happy. So you can decide what changes are reasonable and healthy not just physically but emotionally.

Hi, sorry to bother you again but you seem really sensible about all of this. I was just wondering if you could give me any advice on how much weight it would be safe and sensible for me to lose and how I could do it healthily. Or do you think it would be better if I didn't lose any weight and just concentrated on trying to be more positive and happy with the size I am now?
Hi, sorry to bother you again but you seem really sensible about all of this. I was just wondering if you could give me any advice on how much weight it would be safe and sensible for me to lose and how I could do it healthily. Or do you think it would be better if I didn't lose any weight and just concentrated on trying to be more positive and happy with the size I am now?

Hello.

At your height it wouldn't be healthy (in terms of BMI to get any lower than around 105lbs).

Losing weight is very simple, simply eat less than your TDEE

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Around 500 calories less a day will lose you approximately 1lb of fat a week (1lb of fat = 3500 calories/ 7 days = 500 calories per day).

However I don't think losing weight is going to solve anything. It's unlikely losing a couple of pounds but not getting as low as you used to be will make you happy or secure in yourself, because it still wouldn't be what you're used to. I think working on your mind would be best to be honest and maybe focus on being healthier rather than smaller.
Hello.

At your height it wouldn't be healthy (in terms of BMI to get any lower than around 105lbs).

Around 500 calories less a day will lose you approximately 1lb of fat a week (1lb of fat = 3500 calories/ 7 days = 500 calories per day).

However I don't think losing weight is going to solve anything. It's unlikely losing a couple of pounds but not getting as low as you used to be will make you happy or secure in yourself, because it still wouldn't be what you're used to. I think working on your mind would be best to be honest and maybe focus on being healthier rather than smaller.

Hi, thanks for replying. That's really helpful! My TDEE is 1615 with little orno exercise and 2087 with moderate exercise which is the best I will beable to do just now so that means I'm going to have to have a pretty low amountof calories every day in order to lose weight.

I see what you mean. It's just so difficult though, I sort of feel the thinner I amthe better if you see what I mean and because when I was underweightI didn't have any health problems I keep thinking "why can't I be reallyskinny/underweight and healthy". One part of me thinks that looks wise Ilooked much nicer when I was underweight and from that perspective I justreally want to be that size again but then the sensible part of me knows thatthat probably wouldn't be healthy.

I think it was maybe a mistake to start this thread as well because, although I'vehad a lot of really lovely replies, I seem to be really focussed onthe horrible replies. I do know what TSR can be like but I stillunderestimated quite how nasty some of the replies would be and how much Iwould worry about them as well. I expected to be able to ignore replieslike that but actually the replies from Jebedee, Madeline, Craig Davidetc. calling me "fat", "chubby", "wide and dumpy", "almost overweight" plus many more hurtful comments have really affected me and made me even more insecure about how I look.
I was obviously already worried before I started the thread in particular because, as I said in my original post, I've been ill so have had to take several gap yearsbetween school and uni so I was already really concerned about if people I knowfrom school (both friends and people I don't get on with) who I haven't seenfor a while notice that I've gained weight (I've been bullied in the pastalthough not about weight but I'm probably more worried about whatother people think than I should be because of that) and also about what peoplewill think about how I look when I go to uni. I was already comparing how Ilook both with how I used to look and with other women (both with othergirls I know on Facebook and people I don't know when I go out). So, I wasreally not in a great state of mind about it already but getting people actuallycalling me fat for the first time has just made me feel so self conscious aboutmy size now. I know I'm not actually fat but I do feel slightly chubby/averageand lots of girls I know are both tall and really thin so looks wise I justreally want to be skinny again although I know that being underweight isn't healthy.

Do you definitely think that losing weight to be underweight again would beunhealthy/a mistake? Do you have any advice on how to feel more positive andworry less about how I look? I do already eat healthily but as soon as I'm wellenough I'm going to start to exercise again. Sorry for writing so much butI feel like I really need to talk to someone and there's no one Iknow that I would feel comfortable talking to about this.
Hello.

Sorry, I was having trouble getting the new student room message feature with the text boxes to work and it seems to have taken some of the spaces out. Hopefully you can still understand what I wrote
Hi, size 8/10 isn't chubby at all! At your age, especially, I would be expecting you to no longer be a size 6! I am an inch taller than you and my sizing is very strange. For "hip" jeans, I am a size 8 because I have wide hips, but for high-waisted jeans I'm a size 6. Similarly with different types of skirts. It really doesn't matter. However, I would encourage you to deal with any issues you have surrounding your size (which seems perfectly normal to me!) before you start uni, because you don't want any ongoing worries like that hanging over you when uni starts to get high-pressured. Remember, when you start uni, that most of the other people there will be younger than you, so it would be natural for them to be slighter, and I would not consider it likely that they are all size 6! I hope you can feel more confident about it, don't try to lose lots of weight, if you fret about these kinds of things, maybe consider helping yourself become more confident in whatever shaped body you have. I hate to repeat a cliche, but it really doesn't matter what you look like (especially at uni) if you are kind, and (especially at uni) intelligent and clever. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending