The Student Room Group

Transgender equality petition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alfred Hitchcock
Ok,cool. I would appreciate that, but it's an unwarranted point when there hasn't been a single reported incident of a transgender person in a bathroom.

As mentioned above, transgender people denied access to the bathroom of their choice saw a >10 times higher risk of attempting suicide, which I think is a more pressing issue than cis people feeling unjustifiably uncomfortable in a bathroom.

Dammit, I want to +1 ALL of your posts but I can only choose one
I still, still do not understand why trans people cannot use bathrooms conforming to their natural, biological gender.

It's much ado about nothing.
Original post by Inexorably
I still, still do not understand why trans people cannot use bathrooms conforming to their natural, biological gender.

It's much ado about nothing.

Attention and entitlement, plus a whole load of delusion.
Original post by Tootles
:yawn:

I don't see what the problem is with conforming to your biologically assigned gender, especially as regards toilets are concerned. It's not that hard: if you can use a urinal, use one; if you need a cubicle, use one.

Stop making a fuss and get on with your life.

clearly you have no idea what its like to be trans, lol
(having to use the wrong bathrooms, dress in the uniform that isnt that of your gender can be major set offs for dysphoria. its not that easy to just get on with it. but whatever)

---

@ op,
in my experience, there are a lot of transphobic people on TSR 👀 i am personally pretty appalled

i signed, by the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

:ditto:
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

i know this feel
Original post by kirigiri
clearly you have no idea what its like to be trans, lol
(having to use the wrong bathrooms, dress in the uniform that isnt that of your gender can be major set offs for dysphoria. its not that easy to just get on with it. but whatever)

---

@ op,
in my experience, there are a lot of transphobic people on TSR 👀 i am personally pretty appalled

i signed, by the way.
I'm pretty much agender, at least inside my head. My body is male so I roll with it mostly, but gender identity just isn't that important to me. Life is more important than tying myself and other people in whether I think my mind and body match up.

Also - dysphoria? Sounds more like dysmorphia.
But what is the reason behind the suicide. Is it down to discrimination by the public or is there a correlation between transgenderism and an elevated risk of mental illness. Before you suddenly go out and try to label that as offensive, have a real think about it. Transgenderism is largely accounted for by chemical abnormalities in the brain that affect different parts of ones personality. What's not to say that it creates a greater propensity towards suicidal actions. It's just a thought because the brain is a highly complex thing where one form of behaviour is usually part of a set of others
Reply 28
I'm not going to sign and I'm disappointed in some of the responses to people who disagree with this, personally I'm on the fence on this issue as it is not black and white as people will say it is.
Original post by Tootles
I'm pretty much agender, at least inside my head. My body is male so I roll with it mostly, but gender identity just isn't that important to me. Life is more important than tying myself and other people in whether I think my mind and body match up.

Also - dysphoria? Sounds more like dysmorphia.

well im glad that being "pretty much" trans doesnt come with such negative feelings for you, but sadly that is not the case for most trans people.

and no, its gender dysphoria. discomfort because your gender and sex arent aligned. this can be made worse when trans people have to do things according to their sex instead of their gender.
Original post by lilytessamadigan
Hello TSR. I am transgender! My school have policies discriminating against transgender students and it is hurting us very much!
Changing these policies wouldn't affect other students but not doing so clearly and greatly affects trans students. There have been zero reported crimes by a trans person in any bathroom ever. In comparison hundreds of thousands of trans people have had a crime committed against them in bathrooms (assault, murder) including in schools and especially when trans people are made to use their biological sexes bathroom. So these policies aren't about protecting students at all, otherwise they would obviously be protecting transgender students.I know of 5 transgender students within our school but realistically there are double that. About 4 of us will attempt suicide before we reach 21 (if there's 10 of us). Our school welcoming trans students equally by expanding inclusion policies would go so far to help us and could realistically prevent young deaths. The school already has an equality and diversity policy (created in response to the equality act 2010) so treating us equality should be no issue. This is about trans people presenting how they feel they should be, how they want people to see them, to recognise themselves when they catch their reflection.
I will be so grateful if any of you would be willing to sign our petition which hopefully will convince my school to change these policies. https://www.change.org/p/st-simon-stock-catholic-school-allow-transgender-students-to-follow-the-uniform-guidelines-that-they-feel-comforable-with?recruiter=565413701&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-custom_msg&recuruit_context=fb_share_mention_variant&fb_ref=DefaultThank you so much.Lily <3

Totally not fair! I have signed!
Signed.

Good luck! :biggrin:
I wouldn't feel comfortable being in the same bathroom as a trans person to be honest. I just think it's better for those people to go to the right bathroom like everyone else does.
You have to realise that this will get abused by non trans people entering the toilets of the opposite gender for sinister purposes. It could be used by paedophiles and child molesters- bathrooms are enclosed, often sparsely populated places which these people can exploit by going into the bathroom of the gender they are attracted to. Anyone can just say that they are transgender and enter either bathroom- there is no way to prove whether they really are transgender
(edited 7 years ago)
Are bathroom segregations based on gender or sex(genitals)?
I think it should be sex. So i think unless you have transitioned you should use either a transgender bathroom or the one of your sex.
(edited 7 years ago)
Signed
Original post by lilytessamadigan
Hello TSR. I am transgender! My school have policies discriminating against transgender students and it is hurting us very much!
Changing these policies wouldn't affect other students but not doing so clearly and greatly affects trans students. There have been zero reported crimes by a trans person in any bathroom ever. In comparison hundreds of thousands of trans people have had a crime committed against them in bathrooms (assault, murder) including in schools and especially when trans people are made to use their biological sexes bathroom. So these policies aren't about protecting students at all, otherwise they would obviously be protecting transgender students.I know of 5 transgender students within our school but realistically there are double that. About 4 of us will attempt suicide before we reach 21 (if there's 10 of us). Our school welcoming trans students equally by expanding inclusion policies would go so far to help us and could realistically prevent young deaths. The school already has an equality and diversity policy (created in response to the equality act 2010) so treating us equality should be no issue. This is about trans people presenting how they feel they should be, how they want people to see them, to recognise themselves when they catch their reflection.
I will be so grateful if any of you would be willing to sign our petition which hopefully will convince my school to change these policies. https://www.change.org/p/st-simon-stock-catholic-school-allow-transgender-students-to-follow-the-uniform-guidelines-that-they-feel-comforable-with?recruiter=565413701&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-custom_msg&recuruit_context=fb_share_mention_variant&fb_ref=DefaultThank you so much.Lily <3

Hi there, I signed because I know school policies on trangender people are often terrible. A transgender boy in the year above me was practically forced out by the teachers and ended up leaving, even though none of the students themselves ever bullied him. I wish you good luck.
Original post by loveleest
You've got to be really ignorant to say **** like this

Youve gotta be a real d*ck to answer like that.
Original post by wildleaves
Youve gotta be a real d*ck to answer like that.

Completely agree, it was a rude way to respond to someone
Original post by Trapz99
Completely agree, it was a rude way to respond to someone

I don't care if it was rude or not lol. What he said was ignorant...and he contradicted by being rude back to me...oh the irony.:toofunny:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending