The Student Room Group

EPQ

Hey! I'm considering dropping one of my subjects and picking up the EPQ instead. Does anyone have any tips or general advice?
Original post by ~Martha~
Hey! I'm considering dropping one of my subjects and picking up the EPQ instead. Does anyone have any tips or general advice?

Hi Martha!

I got an A in my EPQ, so hopefully I can help you out a bit! I assume you're doing the 5000 word essay EPQ with AQA?

My best tips and advice would be:

Try to choose a title for which you can argue for and against in the essay. Titles starting with "To what extent" or "How far can" are good choices. You can then structure your essay by giving a brief overview of the issue (introduction), describing and explaining all the points/arguments for and against each side (main essay), giving a comparison of the arguments, then a conclusion which answers the title question. I hope that made sense!

Make sure you reference all of your quotes and images, diagrams etc properly, and use at least 3 sources of information, e.g. a book, a website and a TV programme - you get marks for doing this! Also make a note of the date that you used each source and include them in square brackets after the corresponding source in the bibliography.

Fill in the Log Book as thoroughly as you can, because (annoyingly) the majority of the marks come from this, not the essay itself. Obviously try to make your essay as good as possible too! But keep in mind that the Log Book is what generates most of the marks.

When you do your presentation at the end of the project, make sure you have slides covering the following: why you chose to do the EPQ, why you chose your title, resources you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any difficulties you encountered, the benefits of doing the EPQ, what you'd do differently if you did the EPQ again, whether or not you'd recommend the EPQ to others and why. Also make sure you give the audience the opportunity to ask questions at the end, to meet the criteria of an 'interactive element'.

Also, write the essay WHILE you are doing your research, not afterwards. It's easier and quicker to spot whether you're running out of stuff to write about if you write the essay while you're researching. If you do all your research beforehand, you may run out of time to tweak your title to provide more scope etc, especially if you start the essay late!

That's all the advice I can think of for now, I'll add more if I think of any! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

I hope that helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Martha!

I got an A in my EPQ, so hopefully I can help you out a bit! I assume you're doing the 5000 word essay EPQ with AQA?

Try to choose a title for which you can argue for and against in the essay. Titles starting with "To what extent" or "How far can" are good choices. You can then structure your essay by giving a brief overview of the issue (introduction), describing and explaining all the points/arguments for and against each side (main essay), giving a comparison of the arguments, then a conclusion which answers the title question. I hope that made sense!

Make sure you reference all of your quotes and images, diagrams etc properly, and use at least 3 sources of information, e.g. a book, a website and a TV programme - you get marks for doing this! Also make a note of the date that you used each source and include them in square brackets after the corresponding source in the bibliography.

Fill in the Log Book as thoroughly as you can, because (annoyingly) the majority of the marks come from this, not the essay itself. Obviously try to make your essay as good as possible too! But keep in mind that the Log Book is what generates most of the marks.

When you do your presentation at the end of the project, make sure you have slides covering the following: why you chose to do the EPQ, why you chose your title, resources you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any difficulties you encountered, the benefits of doing the EPQ, what you'd do differently if you did the EPQ again, whether or not you'd recommend the EPQ to others and why. Also make sure you give the audience the opportunity to ask questions at the end, to meet the criteria of an 'interactive element'.

That's all the advice I can think of for now, I'll add more if I think of any! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Dude I just started mine and this is the most useful thing ever

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Dude I just started mine and this is the most useful thing ever

Spoiler

I'm glad you found my answer helpful! Good luck with your project! :h:
I'm glad you found my answer helpful! Good luck with your project! :h:

thanks,
just started, I'm doing mine for Chemistry and its gon b so fun :ahee:

Spoiler

Hi Martha!

I got an A* 49/50 ama if you need help
Original post by Magnus Taylor

You quoted the wrong person :tongue:
I did a Creative Writing EPQ, which is slightly different, but I managed to get an A* somehow! My best tip to you is that if you have to document your progress week by week, DO NOT leave it until the last few days. Causes so many headaches... :colonhash:
Original post by Magnus Taylor

O u again, Monsieur show off :colonhash:

You quoted the wrong person :tongue:

:rofl:
did aswell
Monsieur Leviathan needeth noeth adiviceth :tongue:
Reply 9
Hi Martha!

Also, write the essay WHILE you are doing your research, not afterwards. It's easier and quicker to spot whether you're running out of stuff to write about if you write the essay while you're researching. If you do all your research beforehand, you may run out of time to tweak your title to provide more scope etc, especially if you start the essay late!

Oh my gosh thank you so much! That is so helpful considerig I really don't know much about EPQ really :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest