The Student Room Group

Cambridge vs Oxford for Physics

My mocks were **** to put it short marks were terrible for most of my class but my teacher predicted A*A*A i take only three alevels
1) I wanted to apply to oxford because i want to study physics and cambridge didnt offer that so i left it out, but then i noticed cambridge has a similar course called natural sciences with more Intake of students that caught my attention so now i need help out weighing the pros and cons here
Reply 1
Original post by NatoHeadshot
My mocks were **** to put it short marks were terrible for most of my class but my teacher predicted A*A*A i take only three alevels
1) I wanted to apply to oxford because i want to study physics and cambridge didnt offer that so i left it out, but then i noticed cambridge has a similar course called natural sciences with more Intake of students that caught my attention so now i need help out weighing the pros and cons here

When I was applying I researched the courses and went on shadowing schemes and etc. The physics course at Oxford is heavily mechanics based in the first year and there is very little choice you have when it comes to module choice, as the students have told me. The Cambridge course on the other hand has a little more choice and you can throw in other science streams if you wish, as you will be applying for physical natural sciences so there's choice of maths and chemistry but I know a biological option is also available.

Also what are your GCSEs like? Oxford puts much more emphasis on very good GCSEs than Cambridge. Cambridge used to work on UMS but seen as you've not taken AS exams I'm not sure what they would assess instead, possibly entrance exam results as I think they're implementing something similar to the Oxford PAT/MAT
Original post by rxns_00
When I was applying I researched the courses and went on shadowing schemes and etc. The physics course at Oxford is heavily mechanics based in the first year and there is very little choice you have when it comes to module choice, as the students have told me. The Cambridge course on the other hand has a little more choice and you can throw in other science streams if you wish, as you will be applying for physical natural sciences so there's choice of maths and chemistry but I know a biological option is also available.

Also what are your GCSEs like? Oxford puts much more emphasis on very good GCSEs than Cambridge. Cambridge used to work on UMS but seen as you've not taken AS exams I'm not sure what they would assess instead, possibly entrance exam results as I think they're implementing something similar to the Oxford PAT/MAT

5* 3A these are the max avaliable in my country and school for me
all the As were 1 UMS off
I actually couldnt find information on the cambridge site about entrance exams it really is packed with so much info and confuses me really so i have no clue. the oxford one is much easier to follow imo

i would love to get into either really and statisically cambridge looks like the better choice but i really dont know how they asses things and havent researched much however i have researched ofxford alot but they have lower intake sadly
Reply 3
5* 3A these are the max avaliable in my country and school for me
all the As were 1 UMS off
I actually couldnt find information on the cambridge site about entrance exams it really is packed with so much info and confuses me really so i have no clue. the oxford one is much easier to follow imo

i would love to get into either really and statisically cambridge looks like the better choice but i really dont know how they asses things and havent researched much however i have researched ofxford alot but they have lower intake sadly

Thing is the intake might really not work in your favour no matter how much you try to approach it statistically. I had the same approach initially but that's really not how it works. Be aware that you apply to one college only, so you're going to have to research your colleges and their individual requirements and entrance exams. When I applied in October each college had a different procedure (Cambridge) and some had entrance exams while others only interviews, and some had tests during the interview as far as I'm aware. Have a good look into each college, I believe the info is available on TSR also and it describes pros and cons of each college at the Oxbridge unis. Then look up the college websites and have a look at their application guidelines.

Your GCSEs are majority A* but bear in mind the unis wouldn't ask for your GCSE UMS so the As being 1 UMS off an A* doesn't make a difference, to them it's still an A. I can't remember exactly but a figure has stuck in my head that was to do with GCSE scores, something about a total of 64 points (8A*s?) which I particularly remember seeing. I'm not sure if this is compulsory or if it was a guideline, I'm sure you can find more information on GCSEs on the Oxford website under "application" or "admission" or something similar
Original post by rxns_00
Thing is the intake might really not work in your favour no matter how much you try to approach it statistically. I had the same approach initially but that's really not how it works. Be aware that you apply to one college only, so you're going to have to research your colleges and their individual requirements and entrance exams. When I applied in October each college had a different procedure (Cambridge) and some had entrance exams while others only interviews, and some had tests during the interview as far as I'm aware. Have a good look into each college, I believe the info is available on TSR also and it describes pros and cons of each college at the Oxbridge unis. Then look up the college websites and have a look at their application guidelines.

Your GCSEs are majority A* but bear in mind the unis wouldn't ask for your GCSE UMS so the As being 1 UMS off an A* doesn't make a difference, to them it's still an A. I can't remember exactly but a figure has stuck in my head that was to do with GCSE scores, something about a total of 64 points (8A*s?) which I particularly remember seeing. I'm not sure if this is compulsory or if it was a guideline, I'm sure you can find more information on GCSEs on the Oxford website under "application" or "admission" or something similar

I will try and look for it and see if i find anything
i dont think oxford have different requirements depding on college though
So overall what do you think would be the better choice here seeing as what you said i assume dmore intake is better chance is wrong im leaning to oxford as ive done most of my research on them
Original post by rxns_00

do read this for me too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=66254595&highlight=
thnaks
Reply 6

It is not an entry requirement to have 4 A levels, and it is also not a requirement to have further maths as far as I'm aware - the website says physics and maths is compulsory and a standard offer is A*AA. Therefore you should be just fine.
I will try and look for it and see if i find anything
i dont think oxford have different requirements depding on college though
So overall what do you think would be the better choice here seeing as what you said i assume dmore intake is better chance is wrong im leaning to oxford as ive done most of my research on them

For Oxford you're going to have to take the PAT which does have quite a significant effect on your application, so if you decide to go for Oxford you should certainly focus on preparing for that. You could even start over the summer seen as you have to take the PAT by 15th October I believe. It consists of physics and mathematics sections, some are multiple choice and others a little more wordy (or at least this was the case when I researched it last year). You're also going to have to research the colleges to see which one you like the most
Original post by rxns_00
It is not an entry requirement to have 4 A levels, and it is also not a requirement to have further maths as far as I'm aware - the website says physics and maths is compulsory and a standard offer is A*AA. Therefore you should be just fine.

For Oxford you're going to have to take the PAT which does have quite a significant effect on your application, so if you decide to go for Oxford you should certainly focus on preparing for that. You could even start over the summer seen as you have to take the PAT by 15th October I believe. It consists of physics and mathematics sections, some are multiple choice and others a little more wordy (or at least this was the case when I researched it last year). You're also going to have to research the colleges to see which one you like the most

yeah i just thought because most of the sample students have 4 alevels or further maths so seeing as i have only 3 alevels and most people in my school take 4 i thought about doing as further maths, ive already given my as maths exams btw so i might have a little more free time. problem was even if i did consider it, its self taught and its summer now and my teacher said she cant give me a predicted grade on it since i haven given any test for it

ive started preparing some a2 maths for the pat already to get me up to speed and will work on the physics parts idk soon too. i could always submita an open application right, i dont know which colleges are mpre competitve and might hinder my chances

IMO
Major pro of Oxford: just physics, can just focus on subj u r most interested in and love and :biggrin:
Major pro of Cambridge: get to do 3 sciences if not sure all u wanna do is physics - one of most pop choices is Materials science, Chemistry and physics (but there are others ofc)
U have to decide which is better for you personally Monsieur :wink:
good luck :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
From the looks of things you're close to settling on Oxford. For what it's worth I thought Cambridge was slightly better for undergraduate-level theory but now that this Master's course is a thing I don't think it particularly matters. Also, first year at Cambridge is very stressful since you're essentially taking up to 100% more workload than the average first year university STEM student, although after second year you would essentially just study Physics. The PAT at Oxford would give you a chance to demonstrate your ability more convincingly than your honestly middling GCSE and mock results. Also, while Natural Sciences as a whole has more intake, I don't think it's easier to get into Physical NatSci than Oxford Physics. I'd go with your gut.
yeah i just thought because most of the sample students have 4 alevels or further maths so seeing as i have only 3 alevels and most people in my school take 4 i thought about doing as further maths, ive already given my as maths exams btw so i might have a little more free time. problem was even if i did consider it, its self taught and its summer now and my teacher said she cant give me a predicted grade on it since i haven given any test for it

ive started preparing some a2 maths for the pat already to get me up to speed and will work on the physics parts idk soon too. i could always submita an open application right, i dont know which colleges are mpre competitve and might hinder my chances

I self taught further maths also, so it is possible to teach yourself at least a unit to A grade standard and sit a test as you get back to sixth form this September, meaning you could get some sort of a prediction for the AS further maths if you were to continue with the remaining two units over the year.

Yeah definitely do the physics and maths practice, I think it's good to read around physics a little too as looking back at the example PATs I thought some of the knowledge was certainly not taught as part of GCSE or AS level spec and were based on sort of extra knowledge you'd have if you were interested in physics.

You can do an open application, but I really do think it's a good idea to research and see where you'd rather end up - you could do an open application and be put into a college which you might not be too keen on. Also some courses at certain colleges are known to be competitive and I'm sure you can find information on the Internet and TSR if you really wanted to be statistical about it and see where your chances seem to be best, for example when researching Cambridge I kept seeing how "ridiculously" hard it was to get into trinity maths. However most of mathematicians applying to Cambridge in the first place would likely be equally as good to do maths at trinity compared to at other colleges. So really, it's a matter of research and googling things, digging thru some info/stats/opinions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending