The Student Room Group

2.ii, starting GDL in October

Ok should I just give this all up? I am serious.

I need an average of 5.90 for a 2.i, but my overall mark is 5.89. They decided not to bump my grade up. I'm appealing it but I doubt it will ever work.

There's no way to fund this now, as with a 2.ii I do cannot access scholarships.

No matter how hard I work on the course and how much work experience I get, employers will see the 2.ii and bin my application.

Alternatively, resit my 2nd year? As that's the year where it all went wrong, and despite working hard in my final year it apparently wasn't enough to make things right.

I just don't see the point now, with a 2.ii I can't do anything in law and I certainly won't have access to any scholarships.

Scroll to see replies

I'm assuming you're from the UK? (Or are studying here). There are some firms, respectable ones that accept 2.2's, so you'll be fine. Just do more experience and everything else you need to do, and apply for those law firms- that's if you want to become a solicitor. Even with the Civil Service, they require at least a 2.2. You'll be okay :redface:
Original post by AthiaKarim
I'm assuming you're from the UK? (Or are studying here). There are some firms, respectable ones that accept 2.2's, so you'll be fine. Just do more experience and everything else you need to do, and apply for those law firms- that's if you want to become a solicitor. Even with the Civil Service, they require at least a 2.2. You'll be okay :redface:

I actually had aspirations for the barrister route. Should have mentioned, I will be doing the GDL and with a 2.2 I don't have access to scholarships so I have no idea how I am going to fund this now. As the scholarships I applied for require a 2.1 (or a commendation on the GDL, but I haven't even started it yet and they don't award it retroactively).
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
I actually had aspirations for the barrister route. Should have mentioned, I will be doing the GDL and with a 2.2 I don't have access to scholarships so I have no idea how I am going to fund this now. As the scholarships I applied for require a 2.1 (or a commendation on the GDL, but I haven't even started it yet and they don't award it retroactively).

I think you will find it almost impossible to get a pupillage with a 2:2.

If it is possible to resit your second year (which doesn't seem that likely to me), then do that. In your position I would not do the GDL. If I did the GDL I would definitely not do the BPTC without a pupillage or a scholarship because you are likely to find that you have wasted tens of thousands of pounds and a year of your life.

Oh I see, in that case you would need at least a 2.1 in your degree. I guess you can work really hard or ask your university lecturers/career advisors what's best you should do next as, unless someone has been in a similar situation as you with a success story, I don't think anyone on tsr could help.

Wait have you not done your GDL? I think you should try to at least get a commendation or a distinction, work really hard getting that, alongside, speak to your university and see what advice your personal tutor or law lecturers give you.

Have you completed a mini pupilage? Or shadowed a barrister for a day-week? All off this will strongly go in your favour..what type of scholarships did you apply for?

What's unfortunate, is that unless you have very severe mitigating factors, they won't let you resit an exam, and if you did, it would be too late to do something now unless you literally begged or the nature of your circumstances. :/ I strongly advise you to speak to your lecturers (at least a lecturer, if there is any, who is a barrister themselves- at my university there's a few, that maybe the case for yours too). I think they could really give you beneficial advice on what to do next.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AthiaKarim
Oh I see, in that case you would need at least a 2.1 in your degree. I guess you can work really hard or ask your university lecturers/career advisors what's best you should do next as, unless someone has been in a similar situation as you with a success story, I don't think anyone on tsr could help.

Wait have you not done your GDL? I think you should try to at least get a commendation or a distinction, work really hard getting that, alongside, speak to your university and see what advice your personal tutor or law lecturers give you.

Have you completed a mini pupilage? Or shadowed a barrister for a day-week? All off this will strongly go in your favour..what type of scholarships did you apply for?

What's unfortunate, is that unless you have very severe mitigating factors, they won't let you resit an exam, and if you did, it would be too late to do something now unless you literally begged or the nature of your circumstances. :/ I strongly advise you to speak to your lecturers (at least a lecturer, if there is any, who is a barrister themselves- at my university there's a few, that maybe the case for yours too). I think they could really give you beneficial advice on what to do next.

You really think getting a commendation/distinction on the GDL and at least a 'very competent' on the BPTC will make up for the 2.2?

Also, there's the massive issue of funding, I was relying on the 2.1 for scholarships, as I would have been eligible for £5000 otherwise.
Ok should I just give this all up? I am serious.

I need an average of 5.90 for a 2.i, but my overall mark is 5.89. They decided not to bump my grade up. I'm appealing it but I doubt it will ever work.

There's no way to fund this now, as with a 2.ii I do cannot access scholarships.

No matter how hard I work on the course and how much work experience I get, employers will see the 2.ii and bin my application.

Alternatively, resit my 2nd year? As that's the year where it all went wrong, and despite working hard in my final year it apparently wasn't enough to make things right.

I just don't see the point now, with a 2.ii I can't do anything in law and I certainly won't have access to any scholarships.

If you look at the rules then there are always a couple which give you the chance of lifting your classification if you are very close. READ THEM.

Tbh if you want to be a barrister then you have a very small chance of ever getting a pupillage because they want people with high 2i or a first. I cant see how you can compete unless you get some excellent experience and network like mad. I dont see it happening.

I'm almost certain they wont let you just resit your 2nd year.

Hard to suggest anything positive. You could try doing an accelerated degree (2 years), but even then you have that year to explain. I never say dont do something if its what you want, but really the chances of you making it work are small and the amount of rubbish you would have to go through is large. That would be even if you got bumped to a 2:1.
You really think getting a commendation/distinction on the GDL and at least a 'very competent' on the BPTC will make up for the 2.2?

Also, there's the massive issue of funding, I was relying on the 2.1 for scholarships, as I would have been eligible for £5000 otherwise.

I would really love to hope that, and it's got to say something about how academic you are. But it's probably best and safe to speak to your law lecturers, they would provide you would better advice and steps on what to do next! Drop them an email, you pay them 9k a year lol I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

And can't you get a part time job? Parents help? Bank loan? To help you fund for it
Original post by 999tigger
If you look at the rules then there are always a couple which give you the chance of lifting your classification if you are very close. READ THEM.

Tbh if you want to be a barrister then you have a very small chance of ever getting a pupillage because they want people with high 2i or a first. I cant see how you can compete unless you get some excellent experience and network like mad. I dont see it happening.

I'm almost certain they wont let you just resit your 2nd year.

Hard to suggest anything positive. You could try doing an accelerated degree (2 years), but even then you have that year to explain. I never say dont do something if its what you want, but really the chances of you making it work are small and the amount of rubbish you would have to go through is large. That would be even if you got bumped to a 2:1.

Do you think being a solicitor is a realistic possibility though?

I'm thinking maybe after a while I can convert to the bar after being a solicitor
Do you think being a solicitor is a realistic possibility though?

I'm thinking maybe after a while I can convert to the bar after being a solicitor

High street maybe. It would help if you got bumped to a 2:1, but you would only have the min requirements and then youd have to interview well and have excellent experience.

Whats your degree in? Why are you so set on the Bar?
When it all went wrong in your 2nd year, didnt you realise the implications?
High street maybe. It would help if you got bumped to a 2:1, but you would only have the min requirements and then youd have to interview well and have excellent experience.

Whats your degree in? Why are you so set on the Bar?
When it all went wrong in your 2nd year, didnt you realise the implications?

In BA music. No I didn't realise the implications because at that point I hadn't decided what I wanted to do. Why the bar? because the self employment and advocacy appealed to me a lot, and I've done a lot of research into getting there
In BA music. No I didn't realise the implications because at that point I hadn't decided what I wanted to do. Why the bar? because the self employment and advocacy appealed to me a lot, and I've done a lot of research into getting there

So you would still have the issue of funding the GDL and LPC plus you dont know whether you would cope.
Its very competitive to get a TC.

Funding would ge the issue.

Have you managed to get much work experience yet?
So you would still have the issue of funding the GDL and LPC plus you dont know whether you would cope.
Its very competitive to get a TC.

Funding would ge the issue.

Have you managed to get much work experience yet?

Yeah, got a mini and want to apply for a judge marshall.

I guess it's also possible that getting a 2.i with the skin of my teeth wouldn't have made much difference anyway as a lot of the pupillage applicaitons ask you to state your individual module marks.

I think I would cope because I pulled myself together in my final year but my 2nd year just went really, really wrong for a number of outside reasons. Had some serious family problems.
And of course I'm going to do as much pro bono as possible.
Then you should have applied for mitigating/special circs. The smart choice would have been to ditch the year before sitting exams and redo it.
You dont know how you will cope with law.
If you really want it then try. You have nothing to lose. Do not underestimate how difficult it will be though.
If its £5,000 you need and you have accessed all available loans then you will have to take a year off , get a job and save up.
Then you should have applied for mitigating/special circs. The smart choice would have been to ditch the year before sitting exams and redo it.
You dont know how you will cope with law.
If you really want it then try. You have nothing to lose. Do not underestimate how difficult it will be though.
If its £5,000 you need and you have accessed all available loans then you will have to take a year off , get a job and save up.

Can't redo or resit exams unless a module was failed.
Can't redo or resit exams unless a module was failed.

What I mean is the moment you knew you were in serious trouble, then the smart move would have been not to do the exams and retake the year. Obviously that is all moot.
I'm looking at the Crown Prosecution Service website and it says a minimum of 2.2 is accepted, I wonder if that is a more viable path to take?
Reply 18
Don't assume because somewhere has lower academic requirements it will be easier; the market is seriously over saturated.

You say you have done a mini, any other work experience? Getting some more work experience could help to mitigate the bad grades, but there are a lot of people out there with 2.1s and 1sts up to their eyeballs in work experience.

I think one of your biggest problems is you seem very woe is me. I can empathise with family problems, I had some serious problems leading up to my final year exams but I threw myself in and average 79%. There may be the opportunity to explain mitigating circumstances on application forms, but you also need to show a lot of enthusiasm and passion. If you're considering the CPS route because you think it's easier, they'll sniff that out a mile off.

What's done is done and if you can't appeal or your appeals aren't successful, you need to pull yourself up by your boot straps and have a serious think. If you genuinely want a career in law then you will have to seriously dedicate yourself.

You'll most likely have to take out post grad loans to fund your studies if you can't get scholarships and you'll have to work hard at getting more work experience and/or charity work. Firms won't offer you a TC because they feel sorry for you that you had a bit of a hard time.
Original post by Hann95

You'll most likely have to take out post grad loans to fund your studies if you can't get scholarships and you'll have to work hard at getting more work experience and/or charity work. Firms won't offer you a TC because they feel sorry for you that you had a bit of a hard time.

Yeah I realise that the fees are insane and its a ridiculous rat race to secure pupillage/TCs already for those from Oxbdridge/RG with a 2.1 and above, so I'm looking into CILEx right now.

Do you know how it works? I'm googling as much as I can and it seems really unclear, is it a learning-on-the-job thing?

To be honest, at this point as long as I can find something that is legal work and pays I will be quite happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending