The Student Room Group

I realized, that poor people really have it easy in the uk

I mean their accommodation is paid for, they are given a weekly allowance.
I spoke to a person who gets full housing benefits, jsa and he just has a laid back life

Scroll to see replies

Then why don't you join him? Sounds absolutely rubbish to me; almost no spending money, insecure mostly low quality housing, no control over your income, little choice over where you live, no sense of purpose, no possibility for self improvement, incredible boredom I wouldn't switch places personally.
Reply 2
Original post by luckyLimba
Then why don't you join him? Sounds absolutely rubbish to me; almost no spending money, insecure mostly low quality housing, no control over your income, little choice over where you live, no sense of purpose, no possibility for self improvement, incredible boredom I wouldn't switch places personally.

You do make a very good point, but normally poor people complain about being on benefits.
:facepalm: when are you going to stop making these threads :redface:
Have you ever actually met a really, really poor person? I saw a couple and their kid, homeless, sleeping outside a station using the light from the window at midnight the other day and it broke my heart. They had a dirty blanket covering them, they were huddled together and it was freezing, only the kid had shoes and they looked awful. There's nothing easy about the uncertainty of knowing whether you're going to wake up to someone stealing your last few pounds, no sense of what the future holds and being dependent on others to feed yourself and your child.
Some people on benefits are even better off living on that then having a full time job (depending on skill level). I would not condone myself to live on benefits even though this is the case. I like to have a sense of purpose and a target to aim for that keeps me going, but people with kids etc I do understand their point about CTC and CTB... sometimes it is not worth them working even part time. This all comes back to the way the benefit system is working, a false system!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by fatima1998
:facepalm: when are you going to stop making these threads :redface:

:s-smilie:

I ma confused?
Original post by EllainKahlo
Have you ever actually met a really, really poor person? I saw a couple and their kid, homeless, sleeping outside a station using the light from the window at midnight the other day and it broke my heart. They had a dirty blanket covering them, they were huddled together and it was freezing, only the kid had shoes and they looked awful. There's nothing easy about the uncertainty of knowing whether you're going to wake up to someone stealing your last few pounds, no sense of what the future holds and being dependent on others to feed yourself and your child.

London?

I respect this greatly.
Original post by Blue_Mason
:s-smilie:

I ma confused?

No, you aren't confused at all. First you start a thread about homeless people and now it's a bit of benefit bashing you're up for.
How many homeless people or poor people have you met? Not many, I'm sure. These type of threads say more about you than than they do about the people you are ****ging off and I know who I'd prefer to pass the time of day with.
Reply 10
Original post by luckyLimba

It maybe rubbish to me and you and I certainly do not aspire to it but if you are poor without education and qualifications it is a life of luxury
I don't like this thread. What other people have said is true. This is a very bad way of looking at it and suggests arrogance on the subject…

Nevertheless… moving to the Society section. Please can I ask that the threads you make about sociological issues go there in future please? They don't belong in Chat. :smile: Thank you!
Original post by James.Carnell
London?

Yes London.
Yes London.

:frown:
Nah these rich ***** have it easy
Original post by Seamus123
No, you aren't confused at all. First you start a thread about homeless people and now it's a bit of benefit bashing you're up for.
How many homeless people or poor people have you met? Not many, I'm sure. These type of threads say more about you than than they do about the people you are ****ging off and I know who I'd prefer to pass the time of day with.

I have met around 8, but there is not need to be so critical and harsh against me

Wow that was a really depressing post, but It is a rare thing to witness, maybe they were refugees?
We absolutely do not have it easy. My family is poor, and our lives are so hard. We struggle to make rent every month, we have to scrap out bits of change for food towards the end of the month.
Yes, such an easy life.
OP arent you meant to be more intelligent than the average TSR User???
Original post by SuperHuman98
OP arent you meant to be more intelligent than the average TSR User???

I believe so
Even without rent £70 a week JSA for everything else is hardly a life of luxury. It's barely enough to feed yourself and keep the lights on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending