The Student Room Group

Applying with Economics and Business Studies

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if I am less likely to receive an offer if I take Business Studies and Economics together with Math. I am predicted AAA, but some people have said "you are less likely to receive an offer ....". Just want to ask from people's experience/knowledge. Also, will taking an EPQ or a fourth A Level e.g. Politics be a good idea; or is it not worth it?

Original post by azizadil1998
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if I am less likely to receive an offer if I take Business Studies and Economics together with Math. I am predicted AAA, but some people have said "you are less likely to receive an offer ....". Just want to ask from people's experience/knowledge. Also, will taking an EPQ or a fourth A Level e.g. Politics be a good idea; or is it not worth it?

I studied Business, Economics and Maths to A-Level.

Depends where you apply, but unfortunately yes, some places do consider Business Studies and Econ to be too similar/ don't show wide enough knowledge.

E.g. when I was applying, LSE told me not to bother applying to any courses as they are quite picky on it. Other places are more relaxed but it is worth phoning to get their view - some say they treat it like any other two subjects, others say that other subject combinations will be preferred.

I ended up getting an offer for E&M at Oxford though, so it doesn't stop you getting some good offers in (also got Bristol/ Notts/ Warwick and Loughborough). Ultimately just check with the unis individually, but don't be put off applying unless they say otherwise.
Original post by PrinceUpsb
I studied Business, Economics and Maths to A-Level.

Depends where you apply, but unfortunately yes, some places do consider Business Studies and Econ to be too similar/ don't show wide enough knowledge.

E.g. when I was applying, LSE told me not to bother applying to any courses as they are quite picky on it. Other places are more relaxed but it is worth phoning to get their view - some say they treat it like any other two subjects, others say that other subject combinations will be preferred.

I ended up getting an offer for E&M at Oxford though, so it doesn't stop you getting some good offers in (also got Bristol/ Notts/ Warwick and Loughborough). Ultimately just check with the unis individually, but don't be put off applying unless they say otherwise.

Hmm ok thanks a lot! So what Im getting is basically the top 3 uni's really care about it I know Bath actually say you are less likely to receive an offer but realistically I'm aiming for 10th-20th place universities so it looks like I'll be fine but I will probably take an EPQ for good measure

Quick Reply

Latest