The Student Room Group

I realized, that poor people really have it easy in the uk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
I have not been to Africa, but if I were to mention the us, I would say that the UK has the best welfare system in the country.
The fact that people do no have to worry about paying rent and can live in livable conditions and can cover basic expenses, is what makes me proud.

According to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, more than a million people in the UK are so poor they cannot afford to eat properly, keep clean or stay warm and dry. 184,500 households experienced a level of poverty in a typical week that left them reliant on charities for essentials such as food, clothes, shelter and toiletries. 668,000 destitute households containing 1,252,000 people, including children.

These figures will likely include the 8 you know of.
Seriously what is up with people?! Even support team members of a FORUM saying they don't like a post of this kind?! This is a forum for ALL debate isn't it? Glad it was moved to this section or I would not have seen it.. yay to mods!

So.. being told you can't make a post because you don't have enough experience to make it?

The way i interpreted this post was, that people are given money from the government and thus can sit around all day and live quite well.. ie eating, tv, internet, smoking, drinking alcohol, buying drugs, holidays even!! So it is quite right to state that some people who do not work have it easy.. and this is due to the system! Should they have it easy? Should they work for "luxury" things in life.. so therefor a new system is required.

The new system I would use are tokens for food, clothing, shelter.. basic needs only. Yes it is far more complex than this.. but this is the basic system in my opinion.

Get a grip some people!!
Original post by 999tigger
Funny that I deal with cleints all the time who have trouble meeting their rent, have rubbisg landlords, live in poor quality accommodation and struggle to live.

Go and do some work where you actually deal with people on benefits and then you might know what you are talking about. Its stupid you saying how easy they have it when you yourself say you couldnt cope. What a load of ignorant tosh.

Carry on being proud of a system you obviously know nothing about.

Okay it was silly to use myself as an example but i know that the average brit could live on 50 a week, without any luxuries.
Well I work for a private charity, and I will be looking to do so.
If you have food, electricity,clean clothes, a bed, fresh food in the fridge, then you're not struggling.
I have seen peolpe on jsa have an iphone 6

Original post by Zacken
No offence, but you're incredibly stupid.

Stop with the abusive comments,and you have no right to call me stupid.
Original post by Seamus123
According to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, more than a million people in the UK are so poor they cannot afford to eat properly, keep clean or stay warm and dry. 184,500 households experienced a level of poverty in a typical week that left them reliant on charities for essentials such as food, clothes, shelter and toiletries. 668,000 destitute households containing 1,252,000 people, including children.

Spoiler

Reply 44
Original post by Iknowbest
Seriously what is up with people?! Even support team members of a FORUM saying they don't like a post of this kind?! This is a forum for ALL debate isn't it? Glad it was moved to this section or I would not have seen it.. yay to mods!

Yes... people have a right to not like things, even *gasp* support team members as well as voice out their dislike of said thing. Surprising, isn't it?
Nobody chooses to be poor. The welfare system is such that many people live in fear of random sanctions so are battling with themselves to put money aside from an already meagre budget in case that gets sanctioned at random.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Yes... people have a right to not like things, even *gasp* support team members as well as voice out their dislike of said thing. Surprising, isn't it?

When it is expressed on a forum website.. they can express dislike to the content of a post but not that "this kind" of post had been made in the 1st place. It is a forum.. and staff members should be encouraging ALL posts, right? Also to tell somebody they have not enough experiences to formulate an opinion?!! WTF!
Original post by loveleest
Not really.
Some poor people have no idea where they are going to get their next meal from. I don't think every poor person is entitled to weekly allowances anyway, and even then it's not a lot of money.
It's not a "laid back" lifestyle you described or wouldn't everyone be on benefits don't you think?

I heard signing on can be a daunting process, but I doubt many would wnat to be on 50 a week, when they can make 50 a day

Original post by Someboady
"have it easy" ok m8. You try bringing up your kids on minimum wage.

I have worked on a minimum wage, and I cannot understand in why poor people have children
Reply 48
Original post by Iknowbest
When it is expressed on a forum website.. they can express dislike to the content of a post but not that "this kind" of post had been made in the 1st place. It is a forum.. and staff members should be encouraging ALL posts, right? Also to tell somebody they have not enough experiences to formulate an opinion?!! WTF!

1. They very can if they want to. What do you think? They should be forced to like all posts?

2. You vastly misunderstand the role of the support team, they are not staff members. That is the community team.

3. The only post by a support team member is from Ethan, who says:

Original post by iEthan
I don't like this thread.

There is no mention of "this kind" that you seem to be quoting, mind pointing it out to me?

4. You seem to misunderstand the comments, nobody is saying that [someone] doesn't have enough experience to formulate an opinion, just that they don't have the experience (and intelligence, imo, given the OP) to formulate a well-formed and realistic opinion.
Original post by Seamus123

Tbh I had never thought that they were that many people who were suffering, but I shall look more into to it.
Zacken is right. Contribute to the topic at hand or say nothing. If you have concerns, questions or general idle insults… please direct them to AtCT, not here. :proud: Members of staff, volunteers, etc. are humans and are perfectly allowed to have an opinion.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Okay it was silly to use myself as an example but i know that the average brit could live on 50 a week, without any luxuries.
Well I work for a private charity, and I will be looking to do so.
If you have food, electricity,clean clothes, a bed, fresh food in the fridge, then you're not struggling.
I have seen peolpe on jsa have an iphone 6

So what private charity would that be?
What client facing work do you do?

You might have noticed in your work that many people fall foul of the welfare system. Do you know much about it and how it works in real life?

You might have noticed there is rather a large demand for food banks with people who fall foul of the system not having enough to eat.

I dont think they find it easy. You know the sort of easy that you say you have no experience of and admit yourself you couldnt cope.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
So what private cgarity would that be?
What client facing work do you do?

You might have noticed in your work that many people fall foul of the welfare system. Do you know much about it and how it works in real life?

You might have noticed there is rather a large demand for food banks with people who fall foul of the system not having enough to eat.

I dont think they find it easy. You know the sort of easy that you say you have no experience of and admit yourself you couldnt cope.

I do not really want to discuss much about the charity that I work for, but the charity does a variety of work, so helping young people secure funding for education and accommodation.
We also shadow smaller charities and take on some of their work load and network with a variety of clients ho are looking to inves or partner with.
Right now I am project manager but I am working on dealing with fiances atm.
I know that people are given a monthly allowance which is like 50 a week, and if they turn down jobs they get sanctioned.
THey can get sent to a flat or a hostel if they fall on hard times
Reply 53
Rubbish. You are not allowed to claim job seekers while your at uni or collage and housing benefits are only paid to people over the age of 24.
There is a weekly Maintenance allowance from EMA it varies from £30pw to £120 depending on family income
Reply 54
Original post by Jacqy
Rubbish. You are not allowed to claim job seekers while your at uni or collage and housing benefits are only paid to people over the age of 24.
There is a weekly Maintenance allowance from EMA it varies from £30pw to £120 depending on family income

Most of that is bs. Yes you can't claim job seekers if you're in full time education but you get income support if you're not in HE and you get student finance if you're doing HE. But you can still claim JSA or income support over the summer depending on your circumstances.

I've been getting housing benefits since I was 17 because I had to live on my own and was still in education. So no, it's not for over 24.
Reply 55
In comparison to people in extreme poverty in developing countries, it's true that poor people in Britain have it relatively easy. There's virtually no one in Britain who isn't in the top 15% with respect to income.
Reply 56
I know some families who get more money from benefits than they would working manual jobs so they refuse to work and live from benefits.

I know a couple who decided to have kids just so that they would get money for them. They have 3 kids who have to deal with their parents spending half of the time drunk. The mum had her 8yo cook pancakes for his father so she could go sleep off her hangover.

I also know some people who get the bare minimum to live from because they chose education over work. And it's either working around 30 hours a week along with studying full time to pay for their rent and food or having to work less than 16 hours a week to be provided with the help using benefits.

It all depends on the people. Some live from benefits cause they're happy to do so. Others do because they don't have any other choice at the moment or don't want to be stuck working as some warehouse operative on minimum wage their whole lives.
EMA is only available for students in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's closed in England.
Original post by viddy9
In comparison to people in extreme poverty in developing countries, it's true that poor people in Britain have it relatively easy. There's virtually no one in Britain who isn't in the top 15% with respect to income.

We have a safety net that allows us to ignore the problem. But I still find that there is a massive problem that 400,000 working people were receiving housing benefit in 2014. We are literally subsidising private sector poor wages and private sector high rent. If we cut housing benefit tomorrow almost half a million people who actually get out of bed and work would be homeless. Kind of messed up.
Reply 59
Original post by James.Carnell
:frown:

Mate, have you not seen the line of homeless people every morning behind Leicester Square station? It's ridiculous.
This government needs to do so much more to tackle this issue head on. Too much talking, but no action!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest