The Student Room Group

How is not wanting to be in a romantic relationship with a transgender person trans

phobic?

I do not understand why people say this.

If you're not attracted to transgender people you're not attracted to them.

It's like saying that a hetroromantic/sexual person is homophobic because they don't want to be with a homosexual.
Original post by Crazycatguy
phobic?

I do not understand why people say this.

If you're not attracted to transgender people you're not attracted to them.

It's like saying that a hetroromantic/sexual person is homophobic because they don't want to be with a homosexual.

I think it's only transphobic if, despite being sexually attracted to a transgender person, you wouldn't date them purely on the basis that they are transgender
Original post by Platopus
I think it's only transphobic if, despite being sexually attracted to a transgender person, you wouldn't date them purely on the basis that they are transgender

^^^ Was going to say the same thing
It's fine because not everyone believes that trans people are actually that gender. Personally I think trans women are still men and trans men are still women so me dating one would be gay. But it depends on your views I guess. Some people wouldn't mind dating one
Reply 4

I disagree. If a straight guy was uncomfortable with dating someone who was born a guy then that is perfectly fine and doesnt necessarily mean fear or hatred.
I'd never date one because I'm not romantically attracted to trans people.

I would potentially have sex with them though if I found them attractive.

Same applies to men actually with me. Does that make me homophobic?

that's still not transphobic. People have preferences. I find white girls extremely attractive but I don't see my self dating one. That doesn't make me racist.
Reply 7
It's not.
Original post by Anonymous
that's still not transphobic. People have preferences. I find white girls extremely attractive but I don't see my self dating one. That doesn't make me racist.

Original post by datboii
I disagree. If a straight guy was uncomfortable with dating someone who was born a guy then that is perfectly fine and doesnt necessarily mean fear or hatred.

I guess we just have different opinions. I would say that, if your rejection of someone has nothing to do with whether you find them sexually attractive or likeable as a person, you are making an arbitrary distinction which is discrimination.
I guess we just have different opinions. I would say that, if your rejection of someone has nothing to do with whether you find them sexually attractive or likeable as a person, you are making an arbitrary distinction which is discrimination.

Attraction is deeper than just finding someone good looking. I find white girls good looking but I don't see myself culturally compatible with them. Many people would find transsexuals attractive but are put off by the fact that they used to be the opposite sex.
Original post by Anonymous
Attraction is deeper than just finding someone good looking. I find white girls good looking but I don't see myself culturally compatible with them. Many people would find transsexuals attractive but are put off by the fact that they used to be the opposite sex.

I don't think your analogy works because being culturally incompatible with a person is relevant to whether you get on with them, as I recognised. But, knowing that a person is transgender, is t. However, I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree there.
Reply 11
The idea of telling someone that they have some kind of duty to have sex with anyone they don't want to have sex with is far more morally wrong. No person owes another person sex, whatever the situation - they don't deserve to be called names or be made to feel uncomfortable for their decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending