The Student Room Group

Need some help with a French sentence!

Hey, this is probably a basic GCSE question but I've always had trouble structuring questions in French. How do you say "why should I learn French?", or something to that degree, in French?
Thanks!
Original post by Elena H
Hey, this is probably a basic GCSE question but I've always had trouble structuring questions in French. How do you say "why should I learn French?", or something to that degree, in French?
Thanks!

Pourquoi devrais-je apprendre le Français?

And don't worry it's not really a 'basic' construction, as you're using a conditional with a verb from the 3rd group. So pretty advanced stuff. :smile:
Reply 2
Merci! :smile:
In french when you want to create a question, there are two main ways: one is what Hirondelle127 did, she used the 'inversion' method, here you basically switch the places of the verb and the subject, so if it was just a regular statement (I should learn french it would be - je devrais apprendre le français) so 'devrais-je' is the reverse. Also if there was no 'pourquoi' it would be: should i learn french? In fact it's like english, in english we say 'I SHOULD...' for a statement but as a question it's 'SHOULD I....'

And the other method is by putting 'est-ce que' before the subject 'je/elle/il/name etc. So this would be another way you could say it:
Pourquoi est-ce que je devrais apprendre le français?

To form any question if you want to use 'where/où', 'why/pourquoi' , 'who/qui' , 'what/que' you always put that first and then either use the inversion method, or follow it with 'est-ce que'.

If you want to see if you fully understand how to structure questions you can translate this and i'll see if it's correct:
Where should i buy chocolate? in french using both methods

Quick Reply

Latest