The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Small anti-Brexit protest in Southampton lol
Note the communist flag

commies.jpg
Reply 361
No hate please... But I was neither extremely pro or extremely against. I saw pros and cons, my issue being lack of control in Westminster. However I saw all the wonderful laws the EU made such as working laws, holiday requirement, maternity and paternity leave to name a few.

Because of this I voted remain as I knew what we currently have: pound drop, stock market issues and basically economic uncertainty would be the case for many years to come... Not to mention the personal affect of what will be price rises. This is why I voted remain, stay and have a near certain prediction on the future than a uncertainty in the exit.

After I saw the results in the morning (despite my lack of certainty on which side) I still experience a sense of grief and realised Britain will NEVER be the same! Despite what others say.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Can you PM me to remind me to reply to you?

I just started writing the reply, but in the preview button all the line breaks are removed, so I'll make an upload a PDF document. Without prompting I might put you at the back of the queue, and may eventually forget.

Hey mate.
Any luck with the PDF?
Cheers!
Original post by hellodave5
Hey mate.
Any luck with the PDF?
Cheers!

Oh shoot, soz. I'll get to [writing] that now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey mate.
Any luck with the PDF?
Cheers!

net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014.png

*The EU budget spent on the UK should say instead public receipts.
The UK doesn't get to decide how this EU money is spent.
This EU money comes with an EU label; propaganda.

The predicted net contribution for 2016 is £30.62 million a day.A mean of £1.86 million has been added yearly onto the daily gross contribution.Data was for the years between 2004 and 2014.

the British steel crisis

The PDF at the bottom will give you context to the solutions below, if you read it through.
All the points in bold are at least partially in fault of the EU.
To combat the British steel crisis…:

Increase green taxes, VAT (and other possible taxes), or price of labour in China, to increase compliance costs, to increase the cost of production. Raise awareness of China’s damage to the environment, or China’s cheap and unfair wages, so people buy elsewhere, and companies can price discriminate. Increase domestic demand for steel in China / increase demand of steel worldwide. Persuade local governments in China to inhibit their steel industry.

Reform the lesser duty rule in the EU (only then can you increase the duties on Chinese [dumped] steel in the EU.)(Or leave the EU so that the lesser duty rule is no longer applicable.)

Reform ownership structure of Tata Steel in Europe, so that long-term strategic decisions can be made regarding the reduction of carbon emissions.

There should have been a gradual increase in the carbon floor price; instead there was a sudden increase in the carbon floor price from £9.54 to £18.08 per tonne of CO2 in April 2016. Energy providers could have competitively lowered energy prices (irrelevant in the context of carbon produced by Tata, because Tata had enough free allowances to not have the need to buy auctioned allowances.)(We achieved the conditions to implement the next stage 6 years earlier than planned, hence the increase.)

Reform the EU ETS so that free emissions allowances are given to the power sector. (The power sector isn’t entitled to any free allowances, and considering the sudden increase in the carbon floor price, that was a disastrous move.)

Reform future phases of the EU ETS so that there were no longer concerns by the UK government (said on the UK government website on EU ETS) that the government would no longer be able to sufficiently compensate companies significantly prone to carbon leakage for the transferred increase in energy prices because of the EU ETS. Uncertainty was created.

(Leave the EU so the EU ETS is no longer applicable.)

A simple regulatory framework would be good (there’s both the EU ETS and Climate Change Levy UK law to which to comply.)(can leave the EU then adjust Climate Change Levy accordingly.)

EU should increase funds to decarbonising technologies; funds are not enough for the steel industry.

Leave EU, then use net contribution to fund the decarbonising technologies.

There’s a solution called dynamic allocation I haven’t read much into. http://www.ecofys.com/files/files/ecofys-2014-dynamic-allocation-for-the-eu-ets.pdf

David Hone at Shell said it was supposed to be a 40-year policy and so it should be left to do its job, and that a cap and trade approach becomes largely redundant because the economy sought sharp reductions.

.For the Common Agricultural Policy read this thread i made:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4194793&p=66208895#post66208895

Now the things I haven't made foolproof...
1. The UK is the biggest export market for rest of EU, a lot of leverage.
2. Adding onto that there is a trade deficit; we import more from them then we export to them, so leverage. A trade war with us (the UK) I really don't think is in their interest, especially considering the eurozone crisis at the moment. If they put high tariffs on us, we'll increase the tariffs on them, it'll damage them more than it'll damage us.

democracy...
1. MEPs cannot initiate, repeal or amend legislation
2. A commissioner is not a representative; it is illegal for them to work on behalf of a member state, representatives speak or work on behalf of other people, ergo they are not a representative.
3. European Council (in which we have someone working on our behalf) aren't that powerful.

This was hastily put together, soz. I'll notify you if I update it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Please, you need help.
Original post by XcitingStuart
net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014.png

*The EU budget spent on the UK should say instead public receipts.
The UK doesn't get to decide how this EU money is spent.
This EU money comes with an EU label; propaganda.

The predicted net contribution for 2016 is £30.62 million a day.A mean of £1.86 million has been added yearly onto the daily gross contribution.Data was for the years between 2004 and 2014.

the British steel crisis

The PDF at the bottom will give you context to the solutions below, if you read it through.
All the points in bold are at least partially in fault of the EU.
To combat the British steel crisis…:

Increase green taxes, VAT (and other possible taxes), or price of labour in China, to increase compliance costs, to increase the cost of production. Raise awareness of China’s damage to the environment, or China’s cheap and unfair wages, so people buy elsewhere, and companies can price discriminate. Increase domestic demand for steel in China / increase demand of steel worldwide. Persuade local governments in China to inhibit their steel industry.

Reform the lesser duty rule in the EU (only then can you increase the duties on Chinese [dumped] steel in the EU.)(Or leave the EU so that the lesser duty rule is no longer applicable.)

Reform ownership structure of Tata Steel in Europe, so that long-term strategic decisions can be made regarding the reduction of carbon emissions.

There should have been a gradual increase in the carbon floor price; instead there was a sudden increase in the carbon floor price from £9.54 to £18.08 per tonne of CO2 in April 2016. Energy providers could have competitively lowered energy prices (irrelevant in the context of carbon produced by Tata, because Tata had enough free allowances to not have the need to buy auctioned allowances.)(We achieved the conditions to implement the next stage 6 years earlier than planned, hence the increase.)

Reform the EU ETS so that free emissions allowances are given to the power sector. (The power sector isn’t entitled to any free allowances, and considering the sudden increase in the carbon floor price, that was a disastrous move.)

Reform future phases of the EU ETS so that there were no longer concerns by the UK government (said on the UK government website on EU ETS) that the government would no longer be able to sufficiently compensate companies significantly prone to carbon leakage for the transferred increase in energy prices because of the EU ETS. Uncertainty was created.

(Leave the EU so the EU ETS is no longer applicable.)

A simple regulatory framework would be good (there’s both the EU ETS and Climate Change Levy UK law to which to comply.)(can leave the EU then adjust Climate Change Levy accordingly.)

EU should increase funds to decarbonising technologies; funds are not enough for the steel industry.

Leave EU, then use net contribution to fund the decarbonising technologies.

There’s a solution called dynamic allocation I haven’t read much into. http://www.ecofys.com/files/files/ecofys-2014-dynamic-allocation-for-the-eu-ets.pdf

David Hone at Shell said it was supposed to be a 40-year policy and so it should be left to do its job, and that a cap and trade approach becomes largely redundant because the economy sought sharp reductions.

.For the Common Agricultural Policy read this thread i made:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4194793&p=66208895#post66208895

Now the things I haven't made foolproof...
1. The UK is the biggest export market for rest of EU, a lot of leverage.
2. Adding onto that there is a trade deficit; we import more from them then we export to them, so leverage. A trade war with us (the UK) I really don't think is in their interest, especially considering the eurozone crisis at the moment. If they put high tariffs on us, we'll increase the tariffs on them, it'll damage them more than it'll damage us.

democracy...
1. MEPs cannot initiate, repeal or amend legislation
2. A commissioner is not a representative; it is illegal for them to work on behalf of a member state, representatives speak or work on behalf of other people, ergo they are not a representative.
3. European Council (in which we have someone working on our behalf) aren't that powerful.

This was hastily put together, soz. I'll notify you if I update it.

Thanks for the great effort you went to there!
I assume you work in the steel industry?
Was your preference for leave determined predominantly by steel? It wasn't something I had considered at all in truth. Though it is something I will look into
Thanks for the great effort you went to there!
I assume you work in the steel industry?
Was your preference for leave determined predominantly by steel? It wasn't something I had considered at all in truth. Though it is something I will look into

Nope. :tongue: It's the day after the referendum I had the compulsion to research it (and it took the whole day and more.) :tongue:

I admit there were many wrong things I was saying before the EU referendum about why to leave it, but there were also many things which would have been benefited if we left. The EU is hardly at fault for all, but reforms could have made it a lot better, and fairer between industries.
Original post by StopCrying
Well everyone is still a waiting for you to arrange a day to have this discussion with my team and and yet as expected in private messages with me you keep avoiding and asking for my personal details ha who in there right mind would give their personal details to someone who keeps avoiding something which they agreed to.

Ladies and gentleman this about sums up the youth of today, scared little trolls who can only talk big behind a computer screen. I have repeatedly given her the offer to come be part of a work scheme where we invite students for discussion and despite her being so sure that she is right she keeps avoiding actually arranging anything which my bet is because she has nothing to present other than showing a few articles that she has read.

And mark my words her rely will be along the lines of me making it up and not working for anyone and why won't I give my name blah blah blah yet publically I have given her this offer at least 3-4 times and she has dodged it. Sounds very similar to all those students who "forgot" to vote and just like them she's a no show.

End of thread close it up.

You are a sad, little boy. That became quite clear through your PMs.
I've no idea what would motivate an individual to pretend to be a person working in the City in the finance sector :rofl: I also have no idea why you felt the need to quote me again on here, when you've also sent a PM. Odd.

Stop with the fantasies and get on with your GCSEs. Tbqh you are sounding more and more like a TSR poster who started a new account :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
You are a sad, little boy. That became quite clear through your PMs.
I've no idea what would motivate an individual to pretend to be a person working in the City in the finance sector :rofl: I also have no idea why you felt the need to quote me again on here, when you've also sent a PM. Odd.

Stop with the fantasies and get on with your GCSEs. Tbqh you are sounding more and more like a TSR poster who started a new account :rofl:

Lol I am quite happy to post all ours PMs for you to point that out but what's hillarious is you keep calling me a liar but you are the one who keeps side stepping my invite to come in and chat. If you think I'm lying then call my bluff and arrange it properly but by just saying stupid things like you have done it just proves my point that you keep sidestepping it because you have been caught out and you know damn right that you would be incapable of presenting a sensible argument.

Crap like get on with your GCSEs is just pathetic arrange a date or just admit you were trolling and have no idea because you can keep saying I'm lying yet it's funny how time after time I offer you the chance to come in and you never address it and if you're so sure I'm lying then why would you not say yes because if that was the truth and you were right then I would look silly but unfortunately for you I am serious and you know it hence why you keep dodging ha I have even had others messaging me laughing and saying how you keep avoiding it and how silly you look.
Original post by StopCrying
Lol I am quite happy to post all ours PMs for you to point that out but what's hillarious is you keep calling me a liar but you are the one who keeps side stepping my invite to come in and chat. If you think I'm lying then call my bluff and arrange it properly but by just saying stupid things like you have done it just proves my point that you keep sidestepping it because you have been caught out and you know damn right that you would be incapable of presenting a sensible argument.

Crap like get on with your GCSEs is just pathetic arrange a date or just admit you were trolling and have no idea because you can keep saying I'm lying yet it's funny how time after time I offer you the chance to come in and you never address it and if you're so sure I'm lying then why would you not say yes because if that was the truth and you were right then I would look silly but unfortunately for you I am serious and you know it hence why you keep dodging ha I have even had others messaging me laughing and saying how you keep avoiding it and how silly you look.

You won't even tell me where you work :rofl:

Odd. Verging creepy behaviour tbh. Please stop commenting on my thread this has nothing to do with the original topic, hence why I PM'd you. I don't know why you continuously post on here when we've established a conversation via PM.

I have asked you (the expert) many times to simply explain to me (the lay person) what the short or failing that, long term economic benefit is. Not for a debate, but all I asked for was a simple explanation, because the majority of information we have received has been negative regarding the economy. You haven't done that, every time I ask you deflect. So this has no relevance whatsoever to thread. If you have any more to say, like I've already asked, just PM me.

Mods I've asked if this can be closed please? It's been a while since the referendum and whilst still not happy with the outcome, I think there's more relevant threads available now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well we just left a government structure that has neoliberalism in its constitution :party2:

To bad we are run by a government that is more neoliberal than the EU and we gave that government more power :facepalm:
Mod Note: Thread closed due to OP's request.

Latest

Trending

Trending