The Student Room Group

Anybody else getting irritated by people mocking you for enjoying football?

So been at Uni a year and the majority of people I've met don't follow a team. But I've been met with hostile remarks by individuals for simply saying football is one of my interests, both playing and watching.

Like to give you an example one guy said something along the lines of "Having football as a hobby is a passive time waste, most 'football fans' just gives an excuse to drink a lot, waste hours in front of the tv and giving some fake meaning to a colour T-Shirt. You and football fans are consumers who are boring to be around caring about things that don't matter".

Like I've heard a bunch of stuff like this, and I get it if you don't like football or whatever but why do some people feel the need to criticize/insult people for enjoying it/being passionate about it. Or the people that feel the need like the bloke quoted to put themselves on a higher level because they don't enjoy football.

Just needed to a vent a bit, anybody else get irritated by this lot?
Reply 1
well it's not untrue

Posted from TSR Mobile
I felt left out for not liking football tbh, everyone around me LOVES it.

Original post by MWilsher
So been at Uni a year and the majority of people I've met don't follow a team. But I've been met with hostile remarks by individuals for simply saying football is one of my interests, both playing and watching.

Like to give you an example one guy said something along the lines of "Having football as a hobby is a passive time waste, most 'football fans' just gives an excuse to drink a lot, waste hours in front of the tv and giving some fake meaning to a colour T-Shirt. You and football fans are consumers who are boring to be around caring about things that don't matter".

Like I've heard a bunch of stuff like this, and I get it if you don't like football or whatever but why do some people feel the need to criticize/insult people for enjoying it/being passionate about it. Or the people that feel the need like the bloke quoted to put themselves on a higher level because they don't enjoy football.

Reply 3
Original post by Kryptonian
I felt left out for not liking football tbh, everyone around me LOVES it.

Aye, I get that completely mate, if it's not your thing. But I mean I doubt you go around insulting people for simply enjoying a sport. That's what I'm getting at, if it isn't your thing, then it isn't your thing. But just because you don't like it, don't be an idiot to those that do
I have never had anyone say something like this to me ever, but surely you can do that to anyones hobby?

I put someone in her place on my Twitter the other day for complaining about the football being all over her TL whens she tweets 50 times every day Love Island is on.
Original post by sr90
I have never had anyone say something like this to me ever, but surely you can do that to anyones hobby?

I put someone in her place on my Twitter the other day for complaining about the football being all over her TL whens she tweets 50 times every day Love Island is on.

Anybody that pops up on my feed on FB or Twitter with that kind of ******** is automatically unfollowed.

Not sure what part of the country you're in OP but I've never heard anyone say that ever.
Yeah I hear that a lot lols
That's interesting because it's the exact same thing that occurs with some atheists who disrespect other people's religious choices but that seems to be acceptable.
Original post by MWilsher

Insulting someone is way too far! I love it when we're all around and there's a big game on and there's a split in the support and there's a debate going on and everyone becomes a self professed expert! Besides I see nothing wrong in engaging in an interest and being passionate!

Sure footballers are overpaid and all they do is kick a ball, but I sure as **** can't do it as well as them and sometimes it's a joy to watch! If you don't like it then fine, each to their own! Go and spend 90 mins however you want
Football is associated with the kind of culture that encourages drinking and anti-intellectualism, at university obviously the culture is more intellectual so it's really more intellectual snobbery of sorts than anything else. They may think football is a pointless sport and footballers are often vastly over-paid (which is true tbf) thus football is the antithesis of what uni is about
Reply 10
In my younger days I always got mocked for not liking football :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Anybody that pops up on my feed on FB or Twitter with that kind of ******** is automatically unfollowed.

Not sure what part of the country you're in OP but I've never heard anyone say that ever.

You're on Twitter?
tell those posh ***** to **** off. most uni students are fickle and don't even know the bond between fans and clubs. they haveent grown up and been to games so its hard for them to empathise. they think varsity is "mental" for crying out loud :L obvs never been to a villa blues game or other big derby ha
Was not too long ago when people were mocked for not supporting football.
Original post by sr90
You're on Twitter?

I follow you ffs
Original post by Zayn is Bae
I follow you ffs

Identify yourself!

Quick Reply