The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on grooming of teenagers?

Following the cases in Rotherham, Bristol, etc, what are your opinions on grooming gangs? Is it fair to say the 15/16 year olds knew what they were doing and could've stopped it? Or is it that the gangs operate in a clever way and can take full advantage of vulnerable girls? Also, is it fair to blame muslims for this activity? I hold the view that the gangs are clever in the way they operate, but I'm interested to hear what your thoughts/opinions are on the issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
No-one reasonable would think any of their actions are anything but disgusting.
Reply 2
Original post by rhia9
Following the cases in Rotherham, Bristol, etc, what are your opinions on grooming gangs? Is it fair to say the 15/16 year olds knew what they were doing and could've stopped it? Or is it that the gangs operate in a clever way and can take full advantage of vulnerable girls? I hold the second view but I'm interested to hear what your thoughts/opinions are on the issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That it's revolting?? End of...
Reply 3
They were 12 or 13. ****ing sick.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IronicalMan
Just remember if you vote labour you support the rape of young girls.

Typical leave voter...
Original post by 34908seikj
Typical leave voter...

LOL labour covered Rotherham up......... Because they and the authorities were more concerned about being called racist, and preventing Islamaphobia, than they were preventing the rape of young girls and bringing the rapists to justice. For votes and themselves basically. Multiculturalism= All cultures are equal, they push that ****, even though some cultures are abhorrent to women and it's okay to be in them.
Reply 6
Original post by meenu89
They were 12 or 13. ****ing sick.

In the Bristol case there were some 15 and 16 year olds, but I agree it is sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by IronicalMan
Just remember if you vote labour you support the rape of young girls.

or remain?!
Reply 8
Original post by 34908seikj
Typical leave voter...

The people who voted Labour back into Rotherham were disturbingly voting for more of the same.
Well 16 year olds are over age consent. It seems unusual that with a 15 year old it's grooming and with a 16 year old it's flirting, but I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Teens do know what they're getting into though to be honest. Most of them have already formed their opinions and attitudes towards sex and sexuality and know when people are being sexual with them. A 14/15 year old is an entirely different creature to a 10 year old.*

That said, it's still ****ing disgusting lol *
Original post by rhia9
Following the cases in Rotherham, Bristol, etc, what are your opinions on grooming gangs? Is it fair to say the 15/16 year olds knew what they were doing and could've stopped it?

I think they had an idea as to what was being asked of them and why, but in return they were being plied with alcohol, drugs, and others items regarded as gifts, that's why it's called grooming. The core issue doesn't stem from whether the girls (or boys) were aware or had given consent, it's the factor of age, the victims were under the age of consent in English common law.

Or is it that the gangs operate in a clever way and can take full advantage of vulnerable girls?

There were many reasons for why the victims had listened to the traffickers, but again the use of alcohol, other drugs, and gifts were used to ease any worry.

Also, is it fair to blame muslims for this activity?

Absolutely not. Their actions were condemned by the Muslim communities who were unaware of their activity, they condemned it rightly as it is abhorrent, and it will likely be used by racists to justify their views about those of Asian backgrounds.

Not all of the members of the grooming rings were Asian or Muslims, exposed trafficking rings have found that handlers have also been men and women of white, asian, black etc bacgrounds.. Operation Yewtree further lends to the fact that child grooming/trafficking can happen in any community.
(edited 7 years ago)
Some where as young as 11. I remember because my youngest was 11 at the time when I read about the extent of what was going on in the Times and thinking what sort of sick **** would treat her like a grown woman.
But that was the least of it. Many of these children were passd around and trafficked for prostitution to hundreds of other men. Men in their community that weren't part of the gangs. One girl was used by ten in a night. These men, ordinary men, middle-aged married men with daughters the same age, hundreds of them if not thousands, from their community, have never been caught and most likely never will be.
Oh and if you want to know why they kept going back, it was a frequent practice to use violence, cigarette burns, punishment rapes of them etc and threats to rape their mothers and younger sisters.and burn the house down while they slept. Traumatized, they often did it to protect their families.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's sick no matter how old the victims were.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply