The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why group LGB with T?

Not to offend, but I am not sure why you group them together. Orientation isn't the same as identity. Could somebody explain why it is LGBT and not LGB and then have T separate?

Scroll to see replies

Because then the T will feel lonely

#NO LETTERS LEFT BEHIND
(edited 7 years ago)
It's LGBT, because it refers to sexual orientation. T stands for transgenders, where gender identity and often sexual orientation play a major role so it fits in perfectly with LGB, many transgenders are gay or well changing their gender to the opposite as a gay man could sometimes depict woman like manners without having to change his gender for example.
I wonder why being trans isn't seen as a mental disorder , not offending anyone just curious.
Original post by PrettyGirlx
It's LGBT, because it refers to sexual orientation. T stands for transgenders, where gender identity and often sexual orientation play a major role so it fits in perfectly with LGB, many transgenders are gay or well changing their gender to the opposite as a gay man could sometimes depict woman like manners without having to change his gender for example.

Yes, but what dominates T is the identity aspect right? Being trans doesn't automatically prevent them from being LGB does it?
whys is the T INCLUDED?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I wonder why being trans isn't seen as a mental disorder , not offending anyone just curious.

How is that related? The sarcasm is lost on me.
Original post by TercioOfParma

It's not sarcasm and it is related, given the topic.
Original post by 34908seikj
It's not sarcasm and it is related, given the topic.

Seems pretty sarky to me. We are also not debating transgenders being mentally ill either, so it is not related.
Seems pretty sarky to me. We are also not debating transgenders being mentally ill either, so it is not related.

Should it be considered a sexuality, or whatever the ****ing PC name for it is, when it is a mental illness. That debate sort of makes "Why group LGB with T?" a moot point.
Not to offend, but I am not sure why you group them together. Orientation isn't the same as identity. Could somebody explain why it is LGBT and not LGB and then have T separate?

We all are discriminated against.
I've wondered this too.

I was pretty blunt , no sarcasm . It doesn't relate to the title , just curious
Should it be considered a sexuality, or whatever the ****ing PC name for it is, when it is a mental illness. That debate sort of makes "Why group LGB with T?" a moot point.

I was addressing the acronym specifically, though, it is irrelevant whether or not they are mentally ill or not.
I was pretty blunt , no sarcasm . It doesn't relate to the title , just curious

Poe's law I guess, I assumed somebody was sarcastically calling me transphobic or whatever. This place is quite leftist.

i totally agree
I was addressing the acronym specifically, though, it is irrelevant whether or not they are mentally ill or not.

Well, In my and clearly others opinions, Transsexualism is a mental illness, therefore it shouldn't be part of the LGBT acronym. Making your original point moot.

While I'm not here to debate that, I'm just pointing how how talking about transsexualism as a mental illness is relevant to your original question.
Well, In my and clearly others opinions, Transsexualism is a mental illness, therefore it shouldn't be part of the LGBT accronmy. Making your original point moot.

While I'm not here to debate that, I'm just pointing how how talking about transsexualism as a mental illness is relevant to your original question.

Alright, that makes more sense. I guess I didn't initially see the connection.
Original post by ckfeister
We all are discriminated against.

So, by that rationale, you would group Palestinians with Jews?
So, by that rationale, you would group Palestinians with Jews?

Ok lets put it this way than, jews aren't discriminated for being themselves.

Latest